restricted view cabins

moonshine17

Hi

Just booked our 16th cruise but never been on HAL before, we have gone for a restricted view cabin as we have only one day at sea out of twelve so will be off the ship most of the time. My question is will there still be light coming in first thing in the morning. I have rang and we can upgrade to seaview for an extra £70pp which I know isn't a lot but would it be worth it.

Any feedback would be welcome

Thankyou

Hi

Just booked our 16th cruise but never been on HAL before, we have gone for a restricted view cabin as we have only one day at sea out of twelve so will be off the ship most of the time. My question is will there still be light coming in first thing in the morning. I have rang and we can upgrade to seaview for an extra £70pp which I know isn't a lot but would it be worth it.

Thankyou

Ditto....

Best way to find out is to go to CruiseCritic and sub your ship name.....into the following.....

It is possible someone may have reviewed your cabin.....

Home > Cruise Ship Reviews > Holland America > Veendam Cabins > Cabin Reviews

Generally, obstructed view cabins are just that .... there is a view, but it's obstructed by a lifeboat, or stairs, or something else. You WILL be able to tell if it's day/night, sunny/rainy, but you probably won't have a picturesque view.

You can always tune the TV to the ship's bow camera to see more of where you are or where you're heading.

For 12 days, £70 pp might be worth it to have an unobstructed view. Just my opinion.

And it IS a great idea, as Olegna said, to search online to see if your cabin has been reviewed. You can even google name of ship/cabin #_____ and see what pops up.

Edited by cp556

Hi

Thankyou

What cabin, what ship!

Denise:)

We have had an obstructed view cabin and actually liked it as inexpensive, lots of sunlight, we did not care about seeing the section of the lifeboat winches, motors, etc. that were visible from about 1/4th of the window. We are early morning people so were usually enjoying coffee in the Lido while watching the ship pull into port. I would ask where the ocean view cabin is located and if it has a window or port holes before moving your cabin assignment. You really do not want to be next to the anchor chains.

We recently were on the Maasdam, room 415. Even though they list it as obstructed, the only thing was the lower part under the railing. It was solid and not slotted like the rest of the deck is. We were able to see the ocean and received a lot of light in the cabin. For the price, it was great for our 14 day cruise. Would do it again, but like most people have stated, it depends on the cabin you get. :)

Hi

Thank you for your replies, we are on the Nieu Amsterdam cabin hh4058, I know the restricted view is a lifeboat

This is from a 2011 CC post: (poster may have been referring to Eurodam.....can't tell....but it should hold true for Nieuw Amsterdam as well)

We had a HH category (4058) which was supposed to be fully obstructed. It did have a lifeboat outside, but it was one of the tender boats with large glass windows. We could see plenty of sea and sky above and through the lifeboat with large floor to ceiling windows.

Particularly good if you have a tender heavy itinerary as the lifeboat disappears for the whole time in port. The cabin was a decent size as well and in a great location in the centre of the ship close to the lifts.