Tropical Night question

P&O SUE

I hope someone can help me. We have a "tropical" night on our forthcoming cruise. Obviously my husband could wear a Hawaiian style shirt however this is not really his "style". He's happy to buy one but we both agree it's not worth him getting an expensive one but so far no luck. They're either not his size, too expensive or too bright for his taste.

We've seen some quite "snazzy" polo shirts, would they be ok? I think tropical night is normally an evening casual night? Do many people actually dress up for this? We've actually not had one in 4 cruises! As we're going to the Canaries I'm sure we will have one this time.

Thanks for any help.

We've been on a number of cruises where they've had tropical nights and some men dress up appropriately and some don't. My DH isn't into wearing such shirts (although we always take one he bought some years ago in the Caribbean but it comes back unworn!) , so he just wears a nice plain shirt and doesn't look or feel out of place.

So a "snazzy" polo shirt will be fine if that's what he's comfortable in. Just don't worry and enjoy your cruise.

Never quite understand questions like this. you have spent a lot of money on the cruise so enjoy. ! next year it could be the Caribbean so a second wearing will half the cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for your answer Homelessbear.

Petina - my DH and I were just looking at the polo shirts that he felt more comfortable with and I wondered if they'd be ok and he said "why don't you ask those helpful people on your forum" so I did! Of course I realise a second use will make it more worthwhile but atm we can not see ourselves affording anything more than a short break next year.

So thanks for your answer but I can assure you I will not be able to afford the Caribbean next year!

A snazzy or bright coloured polo shirt will be fine. There is usually a lei on your dining table as well so that will help you to look the part. If your DH really feels he can't get away with just a polo, there are always Hawaiian shirts available to buy on board, but you may end up looking like a waiter;)

A snazzy or bright coloured polo shirt will be fine. There is usually a lei on your dining table as well so that will help you to look the part. If your DH really feels he can't get away with just a polo, there are always Hawaiian shirts available to buy on board, but you may end up looking like a waiter;)

Thanks :) That gives him more options then. Looking forward to the leis!

Never quite understand questions like this. you have spent a lot of money on the cruise so enjoy. ! /QUOTE]

Why would wearing a tropical shirt make the cruise more enjoyable?

In my experience some do most don't. The waiters used to wear Carrabean shirts on these nights but on Adonia last week even they didn't bother.

David.

My daughter bought a tropical print shirt from H&M for her dad for our upcoming Caribbean cruise and it was quite reasonably priced (around £15-20 IIRC) and in more muted colours. Matalan and Primark have similar. She also found one in our local Scope, so he now has a choice of two!

On our Iberian cruise I would say maybe 25% of men made the effort, the rest were just in smart casual. Daughter and I wore maxis with a tropical print, so felt on theme.

Hope you have a lovely time.

I bought a tropical shirt for my last cruise, it's not my normal attire. I thought that I would be one of a very few and that mine maybe a bit bright.

How wrong could I be. There were loads of tropical shirts being worn, virtually all far brighter (dare I say gaudy?) than mine.

I'm now on the lookout for a very bright tropical shirt for my Caribbean cruise in December :)

Thanks all for your help :)

If you are cruising to the Caribbean not not buy a shirt before you go. At each port there will be loads to buy.

The cheapest are in St Marrtaan. Something like 3 for $25.

Not that I would ever take one on a cruise good heavens no. I take 2/3. :) :)

If in the Caribbean they are very comfortable to wear on shore because of the heat.