1st time cruiser just received a call to upgrade to balcony

hfj17002

Hello everyone, I just got a call from Carnival to upgrade our 2nd deck inside cabin to a balcony on the 11th deck for a total of $328 ($82pp). We are 1st timers, so choose a deck low & center for less movement. This would be forward & up high, but we'd have a deck & sofa for kids. I'm about to research this now. Any opinions are welcomed. Thanks!

If it is in your budget I would go for it.

I love deck 1 and 2, but I travel solo now mostly. With kids you will be closer to the pools and water slides, as well as closer too the lido deck food and fun, and I dont think movement should be big problem up there. Not sure though, as I have never been on a deck that high. Others will weigh in on their opinions of course. Have a great cruise though.

Edited by SMSACE6

I love the Freedom, the only Carnival ship that I have been on twice. Still, I say , if in your budget go for the balcony.

Balcony is not in my budget, and I am ok with inside or porthole rooms, but one of these days....I will splurge and have one:) I still say go for the balcony if you can swing it. If not, save your money and spend it on port excursions.

I'm not an experienced cruiser nor have I had a balcony but if it was me and in my budget I would go for it especially since you have a 7 day cruise. Not only would that give you more room but also seeing a sunrise and sunset from your balcony, if your kid isn't feeling well or if they are younger and taking a nap thats time you can spend at least seeing the ocean and feeling the breeze. :) good luck whichever you decide.

That is a good bargain, especially coming from an inside cabin. The 4 of you will appreciate the larger 'feel' to the room, although the cabin itself is the same size. I say go for it. Understand, however, that you will be spoiled from here on out. I see more balconies in your cruising future! ;)

Sorry, it's on the freedom on a 7 day to the western caribbean out of galveston.

I believe that the only cabins on Deck 11 are Spa Balcony Cabins. Does this offer include all of the Spa amenities?

I would also make sure that the price increase is for the whole week and not a per day rate increase. Inside to Spa balcony seems like it should be a much high rate increase.

I like an inside cabin (honestly!) and choose lower decks and midship as much as possible. The highest I have stayed in is deck 8, which was fine.

I am the only one in my family who doesn't travel well, I use the patch to combat any possiblity of being sick.

My first cruise was a deck 4 berth which was fine, but I could feel motion on deck 11 in the lounge area, but that was also at the end of the ship.

Last year we upgraded to a balcony (on deck 4) and loved it. The room seemed so much larger and having the couch was very nice. I just upgraded from interior to balcony today, so I say "go for it!"

I believe that the only cabins on Deck 11 are Spa Balcony Cabins. Does this offer include all of the Spa amenities?

I would also make sure that the price increase is for the whole week and not a per day rate increase. Inside to Spa balcony seems like it should be a much high rate increase.

She's on the Freedom, which does not have the Cloud 9 Spa.

So no amenities. It just a cabin on a deck called Spa.

Thanks for the replys. She told me she wasn't going to be in the office for much longer after she called me. I spoke with my wife & decided we'd take it if available (kinda hesitant because it's forward & high). Hopefully there's not much more movement up there. I called & left her a message just now, so I guess I'll find out tomorrow if there are some available. Thanks!

Thanks for the replys. She told me she wasn't going to be in the office for much longer after she called me. I spoke with my wife & decided we'd take it if available (kinda hesitant because it's forward & high). Hopefully there's not much more movement up there. I called & left her a message just now, so I guess I'll find out tomorrow if there are some available. Thanks!

We don't normally find much movement up and forward, I'd do balcony with a kids. hell, we enjoy balcony without kids.

Tip, don't buy the sunset formal picture, bring your own tripod and timer. great pictures!

Hello everyone. I appreciate all of your comments & tips. I went ahead & upgraded to the spa balcony this morning. Still a little worried about ship movement that high up & forward, but the extra space & balcony were to good to pass up. She told me normally it would be $800 more, but discounted to $328. I did look up what spa cabins were available, only 2 were booked out of like 16 cabins. Seemed a little odd that nobody has booked on deck 11. Oh well, it's done. Thanks again!

We got the call to upgrade to a balcony also - and we went for it! We were also told deck 11 is the best for it since it's so quiet because of the spa. However, I am afraid of heights and asked to be put lower. :p

However.... I was told the back of the ship is the least amount of movement; that the front has the most movement. (He said think of it as a motorboat - the front is what bounces up and down the most.)

I would still take a balcony, but move it towards the back. I now have a back balcony on deck 7 (deck 7 is favored because you have sleeping rooms above and below you, no decks where chairs are being rearranged or dance/discos under your feet).

Anyway, this is what I've been told from various people. I have limited experience with cruising, so I could be wrong.

The dollar amount may be significant compared to the cabin fare, but compared to the overall cost of the trip, it is probably less than 10%, so I would definitely do it.

Once you factor in Air fare, transit on both ends, each way, hotel if necessary, non-ship food, activities/excursions, on-board purchases, souvenirs, telecommunications, consumable supplies, photos, auto-tips the small cost of the upgrade is almost immaterial.

Unless someone in your group has know issues with motion, don't worry about it. The difference in movement between cabins is very small and is usually very gentle. It's not like things are going to slide around or that you feel like you'll get knocked out of bed, unless it's really rough outside but then it will be that way all over the ship. The motion of a cruise ship is much smoother than the car or airplane that you rode to get there.

Considering you came from an inside cabin, I think that's a great price to upgrade! If you can afford it, do it! I think you'll thoroughly enjoy it. Balconies are a little slice of paradise, when the lido is packed and you want to sit out and enjoy the weather the private balcony is the perfect place to do it!!

We got the call to upgrade to a balcony also - and we went for it! We were also told deck 11 is the best for it since it's so quiet because of the spa. However, I am afraid of heights and asked to be put lower. :p

However.... I was told the back of the ship is the least amount of movement; that the front has the most movement. (He said think of it as a motorboat - the front is what bounces up and down the most.)

I would still take a balcony, but move it towards the back. I now have a back balcony on deck 7 (deck 7 is favored because you have sleeping rooms above and below you, no decks where chairs are being rearranged or dance/discos under your feet).

Anyway, this is what I've been told from various people. I have limited experience with cruising, so I could be wrong.

I never thought about asking for a different balcony lower on the ship. I figured that was the only offer. Thanks for the info.

Unless someone in your group has know issues with motion, don't worry about it. The difference in movement between cabins is very small and is usually very gentle. It's not like things are going to slide around or that you feel like you'll get knocked out of bed, unless it's really rough outside but then it will be that way all over the ship. The motion of a cruise ship is much smoother than the car or airplane that you rode to get there.

Thanks for the info! I've just been reading here lately through reviews that the Freedom rocks a lot. I'm hoping not. :)

The dollar amount may be significant compared to the cabin fare, but compared to the overall cost of the trip, it is probably less than 10%, so I would definitely do it.

Once you factor in Air fare, transit on both ends, each way, hotel if necessary, non-ship food, activities/excursions, on-board purchases, souvenirs, telecommunications, consumable supplies, photos, auto-tips the small cost of the upgrade is almost immaterial.

We paid $3500 out the door for our inside cabin. So, $328 was less that 10%!