Pride of america

We just returned from a cruise on Pride of America last Saturday. We were concerned prior to taking the cruise because of some negative postings in regard to staff attitudes, and other generally negative comments. We actually had one of the best cruises we have ever taken. Every staff member we encountered from room stewards, bartenders, waiters, guest services, gift shop sales people, ect... were very friendly, helpful, and efficient. The ship was well maintained, and furnished nicely. If you have second thoughts about going on the ship because of negative postings, our advice is go and see for yourself. It is a great ship!!

We were on the March 28 sailing and I couldn't agree more. Some of the reviews I read before leaving led me to have very low expectations, but the crew were amazing and service was equal to or better than what we have experienced on other NCL ships.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We're booked on POA in September. In looking for general/useful information for this cruise, I've seen those negative "reviews", but as I do with all reviews, I ignore them. Will never base my expectations on any cruise from what I read on CC reviews.

We have done this cruise three times with the fourth booked, all b2b as well. We decided to do this cruise every two years as we just can't get enough of the ship, crew and of course the islands and the islands people.

Ilovesailing - I just booked b2b today for 2018. Have your trips gone smoothly going from the first cruise to the second? I assume you have to get off the ship for the day after the first cruise. Do they have a way to get back on the ship easily for the second part?

Assuming your staying in same cabin you won't need to move anything.You have to clear ship for short time only so that NCL can declare the ship clear, you should get a letter in your cabin explaining the process on where to meet etc.

Because you stay in US waters there are no customs issues.

On other cruises were we do b2b the process has usually been on and off in 1/2 to one hour.

Having said this, we have never experienced clearing of ship on this cruise as we always get off and do some touring around as there is lots to see and do in the area of the pier. As for the cruise itself it has always gone smoothly.

Because the ship is still majority US employee's if you lower your expectations about 10% you'll have a great cruise. You have to remember that US crew are unionized and only work 7/8 hour shifts and 5 day work weeks and they don't really have the same work ethics as the non US staff (not a bad thing as I couldn't do the long hours that international crew do). When we started to do this cruise is was 99% US crew and has lowered over the years as NCL has been offering their international crew incentives to come on board and it's working well.

This is quite a port intensive cruise so plan for long days and starting early morning

You could also look at ship excursion.

Assuming your staying in same cabin you won't need to move anything.You have to clear ship for short time only so that NCL can declare the ship clear, you should get a letter in your cabin explaining the process on where to meet etc.

Because you stay in US waters there are no customs issues.

On other cruises were we do b2b the process has usually been on and off in 1/2 to one hour.

Having said this, we have never experienced clearing of ship on this cruise as we always get off and do some touring around as there is lots to see and do in the area of the pier. As for the cruise itself it has always gone smoothly.

Because the ship is still majority US employee's if you lower your expectations about 10% you'll have a great cruise. You have to remember that US crew are unionized and only work 7/8 hour shifts and 5 day work weeks and they don't really have the same work ethics as the non US staff (not a bad thing as I couldn't do the long hours that international crew do). When we started to do this cruise is was 99% US crew and has lowered over the years as NCL has been offering their international crew incentives to come on board and it's working well.

This is quite a port intensive cruise so plan for long days and starting early morning

You could also look at ship excursion.

Thank you for all your insights.

Did the billing part go smoothly from week one to week two? Did you settle the first and second weeks separately?

I completely agree with the positive comments. We were on POA 2 weeks ago for the second time (3rd time on Hawai'i cruise), and we don't understand why there is so much negativity toward POA. Nearly every staff member we met in the hallways, etc., was very friendly and spoke to us (usually "Aloha!"). The ship is in good shape, and we enjoy the itinerary. It's Hawai'i -- what's not to like? :rolleyes:

I completely agree with the positive comments. We were on POA 2 weeks ago for the second time (3rd time on Hawai'i cruise), and we don't understand why there is so much negativity toward POA. Nearly every staff member we met in the hallways, etc., was very friendly and spoke to us (usually "Aloha!"). The ship is in good shape, and we enjoy the itinerary. It's Hawai'i -- what's not to like? :rolleyes:

I just loved hearing this! We always answered back with a happy "Aloha!"

To those that have yet to go, don't wait for them to say it; say hello, good morning, evening, Aloha, or whatever first and you will love their reactions.:)

Thank you for all your insights.

Did the billing part go smoothly from week one to week two? Did you settle the first and second weeks separately?

The billing for us always goes smoothly and we never go down on the last night for bill as it's usually delivered to your cabin on the last night.

As for when you are billed you can do what you want.

But depending how u made your reservations ie; one resy or two will decide how you get billed.

We do our b2b under two reservations for this cruise in order to get the Platinum perks for two weeks rather than one.

And I like playing with credit cutoffs for billing so pending how my billing falls I may or may not split the two whatever I do will need a trip to reception as they will bill week by week.

If you do want it all at the end then go to reception first or second night when they are not busy and discuss what you want done.

• 2 weeks later...