Magic goes to dry dock Feb 21,2016

I'm sorry to hear about that. I wish they would be able to schedule these drydocks & ship swaps enough in advance so that they wouldn't have to keep cancelling cruises. I'm wondering if this drydock is when the magician might be losing his job. If Playlist Productions is put on the ship, then that great magic show will also be gone. So, for better shows, it might be best to sail before this drydock.

I'm sorry to hear about that. I wish they would be able to schedule these drydocks & ship swaps enough in advance so that they wouldn't have to keep cancelling cruises.

that's the thing that boggles me a bit... i fail to see why they aren't apparently able to schedule these drydocks & ship swaps enough in advance...

carnival corporation owns a 40% stake in the grand bahama ship yard, with RCCL owning an additional 40% and the bahamas port authority the balance... you can't tell me that they don't have some 'sway' in how their ships are scheduled...

further, it doesn't seem to be a problem for other lines to schedule their routine maintenance to not interfere with the available sailings for which they accept bookings. why they keep doing this, at each point having to offer reimbursement for air travel (which they don't make a dime off of, at up to $200 a pop), not to mention the ill will for cancelling sailings people have already booked and paid for, is absolutely beyond me.

the only thing that makes any bit of sense is they get people to book, so they are likely to re-schedule to a different ship or date as they are already effectively invested in those plans (in terms of time off work, flights, hotels, etc.)... but that's a really bad way to do business in my opinion. they really need to get their 'ship' together...

How long are dry docks?

I am sorry about your cruise, that is disappointing, I hope you will be able to find something else that works!

typically a 'routine' drydock will be about 2 weeks give or take a few days...

more extensive drydocks, like the 'evolutions of fun' for fantasy class will often be another week or so, and yet more extensive drydocks like the 'sunshining' of destiny to carnival sunshine up to a few months (albeit that very rare and a unique case)

that's the thing that boggles me a bit... i fail to see why they aren't apparently able to schedule these drydocks & ship swaps enough in advance...

carnival corporation owns a 40% stake in the grand bahama ship yard, with RCCL owning an additional 40% and the bahamas port authority the balance... you can't tell me that they don't have some 'sway' in how their ships are scheduled...

further, it doesn't seem to be a problem for other lines to schedule their routine maintenance to not interfere with the available sailings for which they accept bookings. why they keep doing this, at each point having to offer reimbursement for air travel (which they don't make a dime off of, at up to $200 a pop), not to mention the ill will for cancelling sailings people have already booked and paid for, is absolutely beyond me.

the only thing that makes any bit of sense is they get people to book, so they are likely to re-schedule to a different ship or date as they are already effectively invested in those plans (in terms of time off work, flights, hotels, etc.)... but that's a really bad way to do business in my opinion. they really need to get their 'ship' together...

This is always my question too. Plan ahead, people! Although the problem is, regular people ARE planning ahead...It's not like they book cruises three years out or something. Just seems dumb to me.

I too was scheduled for the Carnival Magic departing Feb 28 from Galveston. I chose this particular cruise for several reasons.

1) Flights from KC to Galveston are among the cheapest to any port.

2) My 8 year old son was very excited about the waterworks and ropes course

3) The dates tied in perfectly for my 2 sisters that are coming along with their significant others as well as my brother and his new wife as it was going to be a delayed honey moon for them on their 1 year aniversary.

4) The port of call specifically Belize was one we all wanted to go to.

I got the PDF sent to me via email that the cruise was canceled. The email went on to say "Dont worry we booked you on a comparable cruise". This "comparable" cruise was on a different ship, different days, and had different port-of-calls. I find this to be extremely poor customer service to have prescheduled dry dock being performed during a time you have already sold a vacation.

I have sailed with Carnival before and enjoyed every bit of it. This has left me very disheartened. Has anyone expierenced anything like this before? What has Carnival done to make things better so to speak?

Thank you for all information and or advice.

I'm sorry to hear about that. I wish they would be able to schedule these drydocks & ship swaps enough in advance so that they wouldn't have to keep cancelling cruises. I'm wondering if this drydock is when the magician might be losing his job. If Playlist Productions is put on the ship, then that great magic show will also be gone. So, for better shows, it might be best to sail before this drydock.

9 months in advance isn't enough time?? Perhaps Carnival just got notified there was a slot opening up at the dry dock place. ;)

I too was scheduled for the Carnival Magic departing Feb 28 from Galveston. I chose this particular cruise for several reasons.

1) Flights from KC to Galveston are among the cheapest to any port.

2) My 8 year old son was very excited about the waterworks and ropes course

3) The dates tied in perfectly for my 2 sisters that are coming along with their significant others as well as my brother and his new wife as it was going to be a delayed honey moon for them on their 1 year aniversary.

4) The port of call specifically Belize was one we all wanted to go to.

I got the PDF sent to me via email that the cruise was canceled. The email went on to say "Dont worry we booked you on a comparable cruise". This "comparable" cruise was on a different ship, different days, and had different port-of-calls. I find this to be extremely poor customer service to have prescheduled dry dock being performed during a time you have already sold a vacation.

I have sailed with Carnival before and enjoyed every bit of it. This has left me very disheartened. Has anyone expierenced anything like this before? What has Carnival done to make things better so to speak?

Thank you for all information and or advice.

Sorry to hear this. To be honest you are not missing anything in Belize. It is not a really kid friendly port and that is by far the worst port on that itinerary. If you still want to go to Belize you have two options. Switch your flights to the week before and go on the Freedom out of Galveston or you can switch your flights to New Orleans and go on the Dream on the 21st. The Dream has the Waterworks area (not the Sports Square). Carnival should work with you with reimbursements for change fees and protecting your cruise rate on the new cruise. Good luck.

Whew!! Just called Carnival. She said Magic will be in dry dock only a couple of weeks. It is scheduled to come out of dry dock around March 3rd. :D. There are sentimental reasons mom & I chose this particular cruise on this particular week. She is my biological mother. She gave me up for adoption at birth. On May 2, 2011 we talked for the first time. So that will be our 5 year anniversary of being back in each other's lives. We chose the Magic because our finding each other was pure magic and God sent. And our relationship from day 1 has been nothing but magical. It would be disappointing if it were cancelled. But in the end the important thing is we have the week together no matter when it is and what ship it is.

How do we find out (if possible) what changes will be made to the Magic during the dry dock?

you'll have to wait until carnival announces what they intend to do in the drydock, then it will be posted all over here... but they haven't yet, so nobody knows for sure at the moment.

How do we find out (if possible) what changes will be made to the Magic during the dry dock?

I found my info on ship cruise.org. It said Magi will not get Guys Burgers and Blue Iguana Cantina. But should have/get the other 2.0 upgrades.

• 2 weeks later...
I found my info on ship cruise.org. It said Magi will not get Guys Burgers and Blue Iguana Cantina. But should have/get the other 2.0 upgrades.

I wonder why they would spend the time and money for dry dock and not do either of these since they both seem to be two of the more popular 2.0 additions? I'll be honest, I'll be disappointed if they don't do Guy's.

I wonder why they would spend the time and money for dry dock and not do either of these since they both seem to be two of the more popular 2.0 additions? I'll be honest, I'll be disappointed if they don't do Guy's.

imo, i wouldn't put any credence in the information posted to this ship cruise.org as referenced by the previous poster. carnival has not made any announcement regarding exactly what the ship will or will not get in drydock, so i don't know how some 3rd party site would know. further, previous poster came into thread questioning if a may 1 cruise would be cancelled for a feb 21 drydock, so they don't exactly seem like a knowledgeable authority on how or what drydocks are, with all due respect to previous poster.

until carnival announces their plans for the magic, all else is speculation. that said, i would speculate that magic would receive both guys burgers and the blue iguana cantina. with magic being the 2nd youngest ship in the fleet after only carnival breeze, it would make no sense to not include these venues in the ship's first drydock renovation.

imo, i wouldn't put any credence in the information posted to this ship cruise.org as referenced by the previous poster. carnival has not made any announcement regarding exactly what the ship will or will not get in drydock, so i don't know how some 3rd party site would know. further, previous poster came into thread questioning if a may 1 cruise would be cancelled for a feb 21 drydock, so they don't exactly seem like a knowledgeable authority on how or what drydocks are, with all due respect to previous poster.

That is BEYOND rude!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes I am new to cruising. And no, I DID NOT know how long dry docks were. So to me it was a legitimate question!!!!! I only posted what I had read on a site. I didn't say it was according to the gospel of Carnival. Just that it was a post I had read. I NEVER claimed to be an authority on dry docking!!!! MAINLY because I did not know what all dry docking intelled. So there is no "all due respect". You could have posted what you knew without slamming me. I am new to this board also. I joined to learn things. I plan on doing a lot more cruising and my cousin suggested this site to get info. She said everyone was beyond helpful. Well.......not so sure of that anymore. I was taught there is never a stupid question if you learn from it. I have since learned what dry docking is about. But the way you addressed my question was very hurtfuL and rude. Remember, not everyone on this site has cruised many times. Many of us are new and here to learn. So excuse me if I asked what you deem a ridiculous question. 😢

That is BEYOND rude!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes I am new to cruising. And no, I DID NOT know how long dry docks were. So to me it was a legitimate question!!!!! I only posted what I had read on a site. I didn't say it was according to the gospel of Carnival. Just that it was a post I had read. I NEVER claimed to be an authority on dry docking!!!! MAINLY because I did not know what all dry docking intelled. So there is no "all due respect". You could have posted what you knew without slamming me. I am new to this board also. I joined to learn things. I plan on doing a lot more cruising and my cousin suggested this site to get info. She said everyone was beyond helpful. Well.......not so sure of that anymore. I was taught there is never a stupid question if you learn from it. I have since learned what dry docking is about. But the way you addressed my question was very hurtfuL and rude. Remember, not everyone on this site has cruised many times. Many of us are new and here to learn. So excuse me if I asked what you deem a ridiculous question. 😢

whoa, i'm sorry if you took my comment to be rude or hurtful, but if you think that is BEYOND RUDE, you haven't seen anything yet on CC... ;)

really, i was questioning the information you posted, and more pointedly the third party site from where you apparently found it. specifically, i was questioning the validity of the information, and being skeptical of the same. i stand by that same skepticism, and as i had noted, carnival has not announced their plans for magic's drydock.

regardless, if you took some mode of offense from it i apologize, that was not intended specifically toward YOU as a person, etc... moreover just the information i was responding to. sometimes things don't come out quite right on a message board... :)

• 5 months later...
Sorry to hear this. To be honest you are not missing anything in Belize. It is not a really kid friendly port and that is by far the worst port on that itinerary. If you still want to go to Belize you have two options. Switch your flights to the week before and go on the Freedom out of Galveston or you can switch your flights to New Orleans and go on the Dream on the 21st. The Dream has the Waterworks area (not the Sports Square). Carnival should work with you with reimbursements for change fees and protecting your cruise rate on the new cruise. Good luck.

We love Belize. We go a private tour that takes us to Caye Caulker for lunch and a short visit, snorkel and swim with sting rays and I think they are called milk sharks. We have a wonderful time every time.