Newcastle Upon Tyne to Alnwick Castle

We will be in Newcastle in July via a cruise ship. While in town, we would like to visit the Alnwick castle. From my research so far, I think my best option is to take a taxi from the cruise port to Newcastle's train station. Take the train from Newcastle to Alnmouth, then a taxi from Alnmouth to Alnwick. Would someone please confirm if this is the correct route or maybe suggest a better option. Thanks in advance for your help

Susan

http://www.rome2rio.com/s/North-Shields/Alnwick-Castle

above link shows various ways to get from cruise terminal [assume North Shields] and costs/times

how long are you in port?

quickest way is obviously taxi if you want to maximise time at Alnwick castle

the taxi/train route will give you an opportunity to explore Newcastle which has its own charms as well

The bus route I wouldn't recommend due to time and frequent stops

Edited by fabnfortysomething

http://www.rome2rio.com/s/North-Shields/Alnwick-Castle

above link shows various ways to get from cruise terminal [assume North Shields] and costs/times

how long are you in port?

quickest way is obviously taxi if you want to maximise time at Alnwick castle

the taxi/train route will give you an opportunity to explore Newcastle which has its own charms as well

The bus route I wouldn't recommend due to time and frequent stops

Thank you for the link.

We will be in town between 8am - 5pm. But actually we have between 9am - 4pm to visit Alnwick castle & garden. This is why I am trying to combine taxi & train to minimize our traveling time. If we were to take a taxi from the cruise port to Newcastle train station, can you give me an approximate cost for the ride? If the combination between taxi & train turns out to be more than 100£, we may just take a taxi from port to Alnwick. Again thank you very much for your help

Thank you for the link.

We will be in town between 8am - 5pm. But actually we have between 9am - 4pm to visit Alnwick castle & garden. This is why I am trying to combine taxi & train to minimize our traveling time. If we were to take a taxi from the cruise port to Newcastle train station, can you give me an approximate cost for the ride? If the combination between taxi & train turns out to be more than 100£, we may just take a taxi from port to Alnwick. Again thank you very much for your help

Word of warning there are not that many trains from Newcastle to Alnmouth. There will not be taxis waiting at Alnmouth it is a very small station you may have to book one in advance.

Taxi from North Shields to Newcastle about £20 each way. Alnmouth to Alnwick £10 to £15 each way.

If you want I can check with a local taxi what the fare would be direct.

Word of warning there are not that many trains from Newcastle to Alnmouth. There will not be taxis waiting at Alnmouth it is a very small station you may have to book one in advance.

Taxi from North Shields to Newcastle about £20 each way. Alnmouth to Alnwick £10 to £15 each way.

If you want I can check with a local taxi what the fare would be direct.

Thanks again for your kindness. I can book a taxi online.

Susan

A taxi all the way is likely to cost £200 plus waiting time. I suggest that you look at hiring a car for the day. This should cost, with petrol/insurance/satnav etc., less than half that. I believe that Enterprise will collect you from the Cruise Port. http://www.enterprise.co.uk/car_rental/deeplinkmap.do?gpbr=U813&bid=004&cnty=GB

Otherwise the bus (with a taxi at both ends) would be best since the bus station is a lot nearer to the castle than the train station. I see that the bus meanders through several villages and takes about an hour and a half each way. Add the taxi time and you have to allow 4 hours travelling from your day.

Edited by Bob++