Thomson and First Choice Brands Discontinued

In their earnings call, TUI announced today that operations in all countries will be rebranded as TUI, meanbing the end of Thomson and First Choice.

They have said that the UK operations will be the last to be rebranded fully, due to the size of the business and they can learn from the rebranding of the smaller operations in other countries, although the rebranding will be phased in over the next three years.

So... Thomson is all-but gone, welcome to TUI Cruises UK... so, will the Discovery be launched as TUI Discovery? It would seem silly to launch a ship knowing that it would need to be renamed in a couple of years.....

In their earnings call, TUI announced today that operations in all countries will be rebranded as TUI, meanbing the end of Thomson and First Choice.

They have said that the UK operations will be the last to be rebranded fully, due to the size of the business and they can learn from the rebranding of the smaller operations in other countries, although the rebranding will be phased in over the next three years.

So... Thomson is all-but gone, welcome to TUI Cruises UK... so, will the Discovery be launched as TUI Discovery? It would seem silly to launch a ship knowing that it would need to be renamed in a couple of years.....

Thomson to get MEIN SCHIFF 1 and 2 CRUISE INDUSTRY NEW,S VERY HAPPY :)

Pleased that Mein Schiff will be coming over to Thomson as expected. Not new builds but certainly better than the current fleet. Would expect another RCL ship to join also. I'm guessing Discovery will have quite a big refit then to give it a similar style to Mein Schiff.

In terms of the Thomson name going, I think this is a massive mistake one they might regret. They tried bringing TUI more in before but failed. Thomson brand is so well established, and on the whole well regarded. Wouldn't be surprised if they decided to change their minds eventually.

Thomson due to change to TUI in 2017. Will see if it happens... Hope not :(

"The report also stated: "In the framework of exercising our purchase option it was agreed that Mein Schiff 1 and Mein Schiff 2 will be moved to Thomson Cruises in the next few years in order to continue the modernisation of the UK cruise operations. These two steps will complete our growth and modernisation roadmap in the cruise segment."

Hmm , not sure that getting two ships built in 1996 and 1997 is "modernising" Thomson!

Sorry, grumpy today - I've got a cold :(

Feeling grumpy too, Linda, although I have eventually managed to get back onto here. :(.

A couple of years ago, I watched a Mein Schiff ship servicing its lifeboats which were lowered into the water smoothly and quickly and then went on to sail around Corfu harbour like pond skaters. :D. Meanwhile, there was a lot of banging from the Majesty lifeboat which they were trying to lower into the water. :rolleyes:

So... Thomson is all-but gone, welcome to TUI Cruises UK... ..

i like thomson name and brand and is there any way we can start a campaign to keep the name and brand as the tui name sounds stupid. i like thomson as it stands for great value it is like aldi of ships and its cheap and cheerful and that is very nice. keep thomson keep thomson keep thomson

your bud

i like thomson name and brand and is there any way we can start a campaign to keep the name and brand as the tui name sounds stupid. i like thomson as it stands for great value it is like aldi of ships and its cheap and cheerful and that is very nice. keep thomson keep thomson keep thomson

your bud

But the point is, Thomson are NOT cheap! They might be cheerful though!

Thomson may not be cheap but do they have any competition for 'british ambience' fly cruising in the med? P&O have one ship and one itinery, Don't know about Fred and Cunard may do some cruises, however their passenger requrement may differ significantly (posher more formal)

for more distant destinations you already have the competitor in the market. P&O do lots of world segments and there is P&O Oz!

Tui could have given Thomson one new ship and just one of the older ones to be fair.......it's like thomson just get the ' hand me downs'.....surely Thomson make a large contribution to the central money pot....:confused:

Tui could have given Thomson one new ship and just one of the older ones to be fair.......it's like thomson just get the ' hand me downs'.....surely Thomson make a large contribution to the central money pot....:confused:

Mein Schiff 1 and 2 were both Celebrity Ships prior to being transferred to Tui, so will be 3rd hand when they come to Thomson (Tui Cruises UK)

Discovery is only 2nd hand but built before Mein Schiff 1 & 2 and is 1 year older.

All three ships are around 20 years old but still able to last another 20 years. The things missing are the latest tech and engineering. Fittings inside can be fitted but design and build can not really be cost effectively changed, but they are established ships.

Island Escape which is leaving was built in 1982 and it shows. She needs to be replaced.

In terms of the Thomson name going, I think this is a massive mistake one they might regret.

What's in a name ?

Most folks will not see that as anything of great significance I suspect.

Their Thomsons rebranded TA will still be in the same location.

Edited by WeeCountyMan

imho... rebrands ... just a corporate excuse to change things (usually things that they know have worked well in the past)

an excuse to change things without having to explain away too many possible (unintended) consequences?

changes such as: to the itineraries, to the fares? the passenger demograhic, the entertainment format?.... the crew???:(

imho... rebrands ... just a corporate excuse to change things (usually things that they know have worked well in the past)

an excuse to change things without having to explain away too many possible (unintended) consequences?

changes such as: to the itineraries, to the fares? the passenger demograhic, the entertainment format?.... the crew???:(

I agree Geo; I think Tui Cruises will no longer be the Thomson Cruises we know...

your bud

yay! Laura... when i first saw your avatar??.....i had that (uneasy) feeling that i had seen you before somewhere??:confused:

nearly famous eh?:rolleyes:;):p:)

yay! Laura... when i first saw your avatar??.....i had that (uneasy) feeling that i had seen you before somewhere??:confused:

nearly famous eh?:rolleyes:;):p:)

almost there.

Celebrity Big Brother is next for me.

your bestie