Should I chance this booking?

kkbrig

We are on a Princess cruise tour. We are scheduled to leave Fairbanks (I think from the Riverboat tour) at 1pm by bus. Our itinerary then says we will arrive at Denali Princess Lodge at 4pm.

I was looking into doing an excursion that evening. My first choice was the Nenana White water rafting trip at 6pm. The catch is, they say the minimum age is 12 and my youngest is 11 (she would tell you that she will be 11 and ¾!). When I talked to Princess, they said that the tour operators are pretty picky about that and that she would have to be 12. So it looks like we shouldn't chance it and book through Princess.

I found Denali Raft Adventures and have been communicating with them via email. They said that although they do recommend age 12, that it would be fine for us to go with our almost 12 but not quite yet 12 year old. They also brought to my attention that there are many road construction projects going on and that our trip to that area will probably be delayed significantly by this construction. When I told them the time that we would be leaving Fairbanks, they said that their opinion was that we would have a 1.5 hour delay, so arriving at the lodge at 4:30-5. If we quickly ate, we would have time to go on the 6:30 rafting trip (they pick up at the lodge or are located across the street). However, the cancellation policy is no refunds if cancelled within 48 hours. I am worried that in my eagerness to get this excursion in (our only chance while at this location) that I may be taking a chance with this. If it were an excursion with Princess, I'm assuming that they would credit us if the traffic held us up, but clearly not the case with another company. What do you guys think? A reasonable gamble or too risky??

My other options are the Backcountry covered wagon meal or the husky homestead. Or just to check in and eat a meal at the hotel (or near).... Perhaps head to the park and check out the Visitor's center and the Murie Science center before we go on our tour the next morning??

I can't give you a specific recommendation for this tour, but in general tour operators set age limits for a reason....judgement, physical ability, weight (yes weight is important) and maybe a few other things. The operators know the risks and want relatively mature and physically fit individuals in the raft so that no one gets hurt. At the end of the day, my guess is that they don't check birth certificates.

Are you doing land first, then cruise? Or cruise first, then land?

First, I think you are taking a risk I wouldn't take, with the timing.

Second, if this is your first day of vacation and you have been flying for most of the day or night, will your family be in any kind of mood to do anything beyond eat and sleep? If, however, the cruise is first and you are all not flight-ruined :D it is reasonable to plan something. But JMHO I wouldn't do the excursion you are considering, given the time constraints and the no-refund policy.

So there is my $0.02 :D but it is just opinion, not fact, y'know? :D

Thanks both of you!

We fly all day Sunday to get to Fairbanks. Monday we have planned a couple of things on our own to do in Fairbanks. Tuesday the land part of the cruise tour starts and we do the Riverboat tour in the morning, and then ride the bus to Denali, scheduled time is 1-4pm.

The reason I was thinking of doing the rafting is it's the only time we can do it (since the Eielson shuttle will take up our whole day on Wednesday and we leave Thursday morning) and I thought we might want to do something active after sitting in the bus for a few hours!

The tour provider did verify no refunds, but said I could apply it to another tour (which is nice but doesn't help us since we don't have time for it). She also really thinks I will not have a problem making the 6:30 tour...

I've been stuck waiting for the pilot car an hour- seeing the one I missed. :) You can have significant delays with construction. It really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about your tour booking. Nobody can predict the future- IF you are not willing to lose the money- then don't book this ahead. Only answer. Why aren't you considering, booking this as walk up?

What time did you book your Eielson shuttle? If you take the 8am, trip- you can make the raft trip the second day. May be worth the cheap change fee to make the most of your time?

Well, keep in mind I've not been on either excursion, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it. You're the mom. You know your daughter. I'm sure you've carefully researched what the rafting conditions will be like? Yes? Going with a mother's instinct, I'd book either one. Some kids are more athletic. Others aren't. And I wouldn't let the timing hold me back either. I'd go for it. That's just me.:rolleyes:

Well, keep in mind I've not been on either excursion, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it. You're the mom. You know your daughter. I'm sure you've carefully researched what the rafting conditions will be like? Yes? Going with a mother's instinct, I'd book either one. Some kids are more athletic. Others aren't. And I wouldn't let the timing hold me back either. I'd go for it. That's just me.:rolleyes:

In your case- you would also be accepting of losing the money. (and wouldn't be bashing on boards, because you think you have such a good "exception" for your money back) :)

The Eielson shuttle is available at 7, 7:30 then 10 and on (basically the 8 thru 9:30am do not have availability). If the shuttle from Princess doesn't run until 7am, that will not give us enough time to check in before the 7:30 (the booking form says we need to be there 30 minutes prior to departure) so I thought we'd go with the 10.

I realize that I probably sound like I am a little flippant about safety for my youngest! Which is funny because I'm typically the safety police. I guess my thought was that anything that was safe for a 12 year old would be fine for her. She is extremely athletic and capable, so much so its not uncommon that strangers remark on it.

Thanks for all the things to think about with this!

In another post you reference the 7:30 am Eielson shuttle. BQ recommended that if you pre-reserve and take the 7:00 am Princess shuttle you should pick up the tickets the day before. If you decide to not do the rafting you could see the Visitors Center etc and pick up those tickets.

Ack! Thanks Alaskanb! I actually missed that post from BQ!

And sorry guys for my posts merging like this! It started out as two separate trains of thought...

Bottom line- IF you want to take the 7:30a shuttle you can.

ALSO- in the past- 2 days prior- at 7am- they release the held back, shuttle bus seats so you can get an 8am shuttle. VERIFY this is still available. Previously, I've used this several times. I'm not sure this inventory is online. I've always called or been there.

I found Denali Raft Adventures and have been communicating with them via email. They said that although they do recommend age 12, that it would be fine for us to go with our almost 12 but not quite yet 12 year old. They also brought to my attention that there are many road construction projects going on and that our trip to that area will probably be delayed significantly by this construction. When I told them the time that we would be leaving Fairbanks, they said that their opinion was that we would have a 1.5 hour delay, so arriving at the lodge at 4:30-5.

I have no idea if this will help or not, but with no major road work and minimal stops for photos the drive from Fairbanks to the entrance of Denali requires about two hours. The businesses in the Denali area monitor road construction projects (and the accompanying delays) very closely, so I suspect that Denali Raft Adventures estimate of arriving in the "Glitter Gulch" area between 4:30 to 5 PM is probably a very good estimate.

But the idea of just going to the WAC and Murie Science Center is a good one. There are a number of interesting exhibits at the WAC, and the Murie Science Center has some "hands on" activities for kids.

In your case- you would also be accepting of losing the money. (and wouldn't be bashing on boards, because you think you have such a good "exception" for your money back) :)

Yes, of course I understand that money is involved. And I'm pretty tight with mine.:)

I have no idea what you mean by "bashing on boards" or "having a good exception.":confused:

I have no idea if this will help or not, but with no major road work and minimal stops for photos the drive from Fairbanks to the entrance of Denali requires about two hours. The businesses in the Denali area monitor road construction projects (and the accompanying delays) very closely, so I suspect that Denali Raft Adventures estimate of arriving in the "Glitter Gulch" area between 4:30 to 5 PM is probably a very good estimate.

But the idea of just going to the WAC and Murie Science Center is a good one. There are a number of interesting exhibits at the WAC, and the Murie Science Center has some "hands on" activities for kids.

That is the problem. If there is anything to take a picture of, don't miss a photo op. If you don't take pictures at every opportunity you will surely regret it later. Slow down and give yourself time to take in the entire vacation experience.

I have been on both the Nenana river rafting and Husky Homestead. Hard to choose, really! I believe the company I went on the rafting trip with was Nenana Rafting Adventures. I honestly don't remember the company's name but I DO remember how AMAZING it was! That being said, we did the paddle raft, not the oar raft where the guide paddles and you sit there huddled up freezing, watching the paddle rafters go by screaming and hollering, smacking their paddles having a blast (like my group). I felt sorry for the old folks who booked their trip with Princess because they looked so cold and unhappy. But, paddle rafting is not for everyone. It was work, the river was very high, and we almost flipped a few times but thankfully didn't. Something to keep in mind if you are looking at paddle rafting- how will your almost 12 yr old handle the paddle raft flipping over and dumping everyone into the water if that happens and you have to scramble to get back in? If you are willing to risk possibly not making it on time, and you think your daughter can handle high adrenaline activities, go for it. Again though, I'm talking paddle rafting. The big guide propelled oar raft is pretty tame. You'll bounce along the river safely but not nearly as exciting.

Husky Homestead: Loved the experience, very Alaskan. But... Jeff King can be a bit yappy. Talks about himself a lot too but you are at his home, learning about his dogs, who else is he going to talk about? I still loved it though even though I felt he could have talked just a tad bit less. I learned a lot on that excursion, things I didn't know about the Iditarod and the dogs and what the journey is really like, and I lived in Alaska at the time.

Both are great options. Even though the rafting was one of the best experiences of my life, river rafting can be done anywhere. Visiting a musher's home and learning about the dogs, not so much. There's other opportunities though to see sled dogs in different cities.

As for the drive... you won't need to stop for scenery too much. Other than taking the obligatory photo of Skinny Dick's Halfway Inn sign, it's not the most beautiful stretch of your trip. Unless you see an animal, just keep going. The scenery will continue to amaze each day you're there.

Edit: I forgot to add that for a good few weeks during the summer I worked on the train, there was a rockslide in a tunnel that took time to clear and we had to bus it from Healy (where most of the staff in the Denali area live) to Fairbanks. We never encountered significant delays due to road construction.

Edited by min2758

As for the drive... you won't need to stop for scenery too much. Other than taking the obligatory photo of Skinny Dick's Halfway Inn sign, it's not the most beautiful stretch of your trip. Unless you see an animal, just keep going. The scenery will continue to amaze each day you're there.

Edit: I forgot to add that for a good few weeks during the summer I worked on the train, there was a rockslide in a tunnel that took time to clear and we had to bus it from Healy (where most of the staff in the Denali area live) to Fairbanks. We never encountered significant delays due to road construction.

We left Fairbanks this morning and are now in Anchorage for the night before driving onto Seward. As expected there were motor homes and other vehicles stopped at the overlook above the Tanana River several miles out of Ester as the scenery was gorgeous to the south. And I don't think I've ever seen anyone taking a photo of the Skinny Dick's Inn sign in all the years I've lived in Alaska.

We had delays due to construction and pilot cars three times today, with the longest delay for us being south of the entrance to Denali National Park near Cantwell. But DOT is beginning work on several of the small bridges north of "Glitter Gulch."

Thank you everyone for your input! I've decided to wait until we get there and either book a rafting tour then or head to the Science center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wanted to add that we went on the tame river raft, with the guide doing all the work and us just enjoying the beautiful scenery, and we really loved it (we were in our 20s), it was one of the highlights of our trip, so to each his own.

Edited by alaskawdw12