Moving to Florida

MCManders99

My DH and I went on our first cruise in May and of course are hooked. We are moving from OH to Orlando Florida (due to my job). I have heard that there are resident discounts to cruise. Is this true? If any current residents can help me that would be great. We are looking at fall of next year.

I don't know about resident discounts. But when I lived in FLA and my relatives there are on the cruise discount lists. THey get emails for last-minutes cruises that are not full and have access to cheaper rates. Since there is no airfare to plan, if you have flex hours from work for vacation, this could be of value. My sister has done cruises with 1 week's notice multiple times out of Ft.Lauderdale.

It's congested enough... Flipper's been relegated to SeaWorld... competing against the Rat that Ate Central Florida... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Really, welcome! Florida pricing... I don't know too much about that (myth or reality?), to the extent it exists, I sense that it clicks in when they want to finish filling a ship during the final month or so. In any event, you can Caribbean cruise without the expense of flying to port, and if you're unemcumbered by kids... there are those off peak, last minute fares to enjoy.

The days of Florida resident bargains are long gone. There are some discounts, but not really great. BUT, the benefit for Florida residents is the possibility of last minute cruises at discount prices. They do happen, and living here means you don't have to worry about air travel and can do the last minute bookings. I've been fortunate a few times with last minute deals.

I wish there were great discounts ... but the good news is not paying for the airlines, hotels on either side, etc makes things much cheaper.

Last minute rates are available on some sites, sometimes cheaper, sometimes not. The convenience of scheduling just the cruise and not flights, etc allow you to go on the cheap ones.

Welcome to Orlando!

My DH and I went on our first cruise in May and of course are hooked. We are moving from OH to Orlando Florida (due to my job). I have heard that there are resident discounts to cruise. Is this true? If any current residents can help me that would be great. We are looking at fall of next year.

Just a hop, skip and a jump over to Port Canaveral so you will find some good last minute cruises. I think Carnival usually has some 3 day cruises for $239 or something like that.

Welcome To Paradise Indeed!

I DO see resident discounts but they're mostly all from Carnival and they're about the same as if you got the senior citizen discount.

As mentioned above, we've done that "hop skip and a jump" to Port Canaveral. That's where we've realized the most significant savings over flying from our former home in the midwest; can't beat that driving to the port!

Even sailings from other ports in the state are within easy driving distance too.

The days of Florida resident bargains are long gone. There are some discounts, but not really great. BUT, the benefit for Florida residents is the possibility of last minute cruises at discount prices. They do happen, and living here means you don't have to worry about air travel and can do the last minute bookings. I've been fortunate a few times with last minute deals.

Yeah, from what I can see, there are two ways to get a decent price on a cruise. Either book really early, or be in a position that you can go with only a week or two notice. Florida residents have it good in that they can drive to most of the ports. So, when a ship is getting ready to sail in a couple of weeks, and there are say 30 cabins that have not been sold, Florida residents will get "first dibs" on them at really distress sale prices. Nothing worse from a cruiseline's perspective than sailing with empty cabins. They'll sell them at rock bottom prices and hope to make up some of the money in onboard revenue.

The same is true of ships sailing from other ports ... such as New York or Philadelphia. The residents of those states could sign up for last minute discounts used to fill the ships if their schedules allow them to take vacation time at the last minute.

Of course, you're probably gonna get the crappiest cabins, so if cabin location is important to you, stay away from these specials.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Thanks to all! It's really been crazy since I have 4 weeks to move. I am going down there to view places to live (rent). We have no kids.. newlyweds, married this past May. We want to do another cruise before we have them. I get 3 weeks of vacation, which most of my vacation are just sitting at home, so last minute deals may work at times. THank You to all of you and I look forward to being a Florida Resident soon. Any advice? Besides co-workers I will not no anyone. AHHH!

Good luck finding a nice rental! If you are looking for a house, try realty agencies in the area and the Sunday classifieds; if you want an apartment then pick up one of the Apartment Guides that are in discount stores and restaurants. Good Luck with your search and welcome to Florida! :)

I work for 5/3 Bank and there are none in Tallahassee. Actually I will be at the downtown Orlando office.

I am just looking forward to no flights to FL ports. Maybe I can cruise more. Even though I've only been on 1. But another Princess cruise is coming soon (well 2006).

Welcome to Florida! It's hot, crowded, and attracts hurricanes, but other than that it's great! (I'm a native so I have a love-hate relationship with the state.;) )

The first cruise that my family ever went on was a Disney cruise with a Florida resident discount. And boy, was it discounted. The cost for the 7 day was cheaper than their regular 4 day cruises. I don't think we'll see that price again, but you will see Florida resident discounts for Disney in September and October, usually. I don't know if other cruise lines do this specifically for Florida residents.

Welcome to Florida! It's hot, crowded, and attracts hurricanes, but other than that it's great! (I'm a native so I have a love-hate relationship with the state.;) )

The first cruise that my family ever went on was a Disney cruise with a Florida resident discount. And boy, was it discounted. The cost for the 7 day was cheaper than their regular 4 day cruises. I don't think we'll see that price again, but you will see Florida resident discounts for Disney in September and October, usually. I don't know if other cruise lines do this specifically for Florida residents.

Disney has great FL resident deals for their parks, so they probably carry it through to their cruises.

Disney has great FL resident deals for their parks, so they probably carry it through to their cruises.

Agree! And one of the best things we like is the Disney Dining Experience membership. 20% dining discount at most Disney restaurants, which are some of the better restaurants in Orlando. Even alcohol is 20% off, and it's for up to 10 guests.

Details....

allearsnet.com/din/dde.htm

Since most Disney restaurants are slightly overpriced, the DDE makes them very competitive with other restaurants. No parking fees. Valet parking usually included. It's $50/year for FL residents. Also gives you half-price to Pleasure Island, where you will go for nightlife, so that saves you $20 per couple. Sweet deal.

BTW, we moved to Orlando 2 years ago and enjoy it. Let me know ( jewing2 at csc dot com) if you have any questions about the area .... and welcome!

Archived