Grand Suite or Owner's Suite on Freedom of Seas

Advice on grand suite or owner's suite. Can't tell from photos but how big tub and shower the same in both cabins? My husband is a "large" man and from the pictures of the Owner's Suite, the shower looks very small. Comments appreciated. Thanks.

So the Owner's Suite is separate, correct?

Correct, the shower is separate in the OS, glass enclosed. In the GS, the shower is part of the bathtub, with shower curtain.

We always get an OS and we love the larger bathroom. We are both larger people, 225+, and the shower is big enough for us. We also love the extra space in the room and the larger balcony. We had a GS one time. My wife has had both knees replaced and we found the tub was higher in the GS and she had a difficult time stepping over in to the tub to take a shower.

Advice on grand suite or owner's suite. Can't tell from photos but how big tub and shower the same in both cabins? My husband is a "large" man and from the pictures of the Owner's Suite, the shower looks very small. Comments appreciated. Thanks.

We were in an OS on Liberty last year. The shower in the OS is very tight. I'm an average-to-largish woman (size 14) and found it very squished. I have not been in a GS on a Freedom class ship, but i suspect the tub/shower combo would give your husband more room to move around.

I don't know if this is the case on Freedom class, but i was in a GS on Quantum and the tub seemed narrow - the length seemed normal, but the width of the tub seemed less than a normal tub, like i'd be washing my hair and one elbow would hit the wall and the other would hit the shower curtain. But it was still definitely more comfortable than the OS shower on liberty.

Overall, i didn't love the OS bathroom. it's huge, but with lots of wasted space. the toilet is shoved close to the wall so they could fit the bidet in, so any time you'd use either the shower or toilet, it felt tight, despite the overall size of the room. the sink area was great, though.

the height of the tub/shower in the GS is a deal breaker for me. I'm 5'3" and came home with bruised knees (but happy). Definitely prefer the OS with separate shower.

Swiss

I hurt my ankle (on Bourbon Street:rolleyes:) the night before our Serenade cruise in March, and I struggled getting in and out of the tub/shower in our GS. I ended up having to sit on the edge and swing my legs around to get out.:o

I'm not sure why the tubs are so tall.:confused: Anybody know?

I

Same issue on the Allure and it was bizarre. It wasn't comfortable to step in the GS tub and I have no physical issues. I've never been in an OS but some of the showers look tiny.

Edited by sauvichick

I hurt my ankle (on Bourbon Street:rolleyes:) the night before our Serenade cruise in March, and I struggled getting in and out of the tub/shower in our GS. I ended up having to sit on the edge and swing my legs around to get out.:o

All the plumbing is under the floor area so the height has to cater for that. You probably already are aware of the step up from the cabin floor to the bathroom floor. Same deal for the bath itself. Drainage pipes and feeder pipes to the taps have to go somewhere.

All the plumbing is under the floor area so the height has to cater for that. You probably already are aware of the step up from the cabin floor to the bathroom floor. Same deal for the bath itself. Drainage pipes and feeder pipes to the taps have to go somewhere.

There's no step up into a GS bathroom, which probably explains why the tub is so tall. The tub in a JS is shorter, but there's a step up into the bathroom.

Edited by Cindy

This is a very timely and interesting thread for me. Yesterday I called C&A and switched our Liberty booking from a GS to an OS because the price was very good and 1340 was available. I'm a sucker for the center hump, and hope 1340 is as good as 1320 on the Mariner/Navigator!

I hate to say it but it is personal preference. GS bathroom has a tub/shower combination. The side walls are high, with a shower curtain. The OS has the separate tub (jetted) and glass enclosed shower. I am over 6 foot tall and 200 lbs no problem enjoying shower.

I would say the determining factor is the cost. On our recent Freedom cruise we were in OS 1340 center hump, it was priced very reasonable. Our Navigator cruise in 2017 is in OS 1320 center hump, again priced reasonably. My next 3 cruises are in GS, OS were not reasonable!

However, the OS on the Adventurer of the Seas, 29 March 17 is not really reasonable, $12995.44 compared to a GS at $6889.44. I will take the high walled tub/shower in the GS saving $6106. Maybe the cost difference will be justified with the new promised suite amenities :D.

I am not holding my breath anymore for that promise!:rolleyes:

I'm hoping the 1348 will be less breezy when the ship is in motion, since it has a portion of the balcony on the back of the hump.

This is a great cabin and very convenient to the elevators. We had this cabin on the Freedom in 2013.

As for the showers, I am 6'4" and have no problem in the glass Owner's Suite shower. I do find the ceiling to be very low in the Grand Suite tub, due to my height and the raised tub. I have about 2" of clearance from the ceiling.

Eric

Edited by Pomperaugrr

I hate to say it but it is personal preference. GS bathroom has a tub/shower combination. The side walls are high, with a shower curtain. The OS has the separate tub (jetted) and glass enclosed shower. I am over 6 foot tall and 200 lbs no problem enjoying shower.

I would say the determining factor is the cost. On our recent Freedom cruise we were in OS 1340 center hump, it was priced very reasonable. Our Navigator cruise in 2017 is in OS 1320 center hump, again priced reasonably. My next 3 cruises are in GS, OS were not reasonable!

However, the OS on the Adventurer of the Seas, 29 March 17 is not really reasonable, $12995.44 compared to a GS at $6889.44. I will take the high walled tub/shower in the GS saving $6106. Maybe the cost difference will be justified with the new promised suite amenities :D.

I am not holding my breath anymore for that promise!:rolleyes:

One of the reasons I switched was rolling the dice on what they're going to introduce as the new suite amenities...they should be in place since this cruise isn't until the end of 2016. I thought an OS on the Liberty at less than I paid for a JS on the Voyager a few years ago was worth the gamble to upgrade on the chance they do tiered perks like Celebrity is doing!:D If they don't, it wasn't that much money, and although a GS is just fine for the two of us, I would never turn down the opportunity to grab an OS at a great price!;)

• 1 month later...