Key West, too far to walk?

JadeB

Hey,

My husband and I are going on a cruise in Oct. This is one of our stops! Yeah I'm excited. I was wanting to go to Smathers beach for the day. Is it too far to walk from the port to Smathers beach?

Also heard Keylime pie is the bomb here, where should I get some close to Smathers beach or the Port?

Yes, Smather's is too far to walk. I'm not sure why you want to go there since the beaches here are not very good. I would think you will have much better beach options on your cruise.

My favorite Key Lime Pie is at Kermits. There is a location on Green Street and one on Duval both walkable from the cruise ship dock or drop off point if you dock at the outer mole. I don't know of any I would recommend near Smather's Beach.

If you have to have a beach and you are not too picky about the amount of real estate, hit the beach at Simonton where you will also find Lagerheads for lunch and a drink. Maybe a ten minute walk from the port ---> http://lagerheadsbeachbar.com/

And just in case you're in Key West in early July one year ---> http://www.keylimefestival.com/

Pjk

Edited by peter_krynicki

Smathers is definitely a bit far to walk. We prefer Zachary Taylor for beach trips - I know the beach is rough coral rubble but it's a nice location and very natural feeling. Worth noting perhaps if we've been to Key West quite a few times, both via ship and as week trips. We go to Zach T. everytime, we went to Smathers once and haven't returned.

Zachary Taylor is about a 1.25 mile walk from Mallory square and you walk by a lot of places you can get pie - or anything else for that matter depending on your route.

Opinion vary of course but I wasn't really impressed by Kermits. It was fine but nothing special. I miss blonde giraffe. I don't care what anyone says, meringue belongs on Key Lime pie.

Fort Zachary Taylor is my favorite beach in KW. It's pretty with pine trees and picnic tables behind the beach, you get to watch the boats leaving/going into the harbor, but the downside is the rocky coral sand. There are outdoor showers. It costs $2.50/pp to walk in. If you go, I recommend walking through Truman Annex in one direction since it's shorter, and through the town in the other.

That brings me to: although I do like Kermits, my current favorite key lime pie is from Blue Heaven, mainly because I also like meringue. Slices are huge, but not cheap, and two can easily share. Blue Heaven is on Petronia, and there are several cute shops on the street nearby. You can walk on Duval to/from the ship for other shopping.

Opinion vary of course but I wasn't really impressed by Kermits. It was fine but nothing special. I miss blonde giraffe. I don't care what anyone says, meringue belongs on Key Lime pie.

Then you definitely need to sample the pie at Blue Heaven.

Mike:)

Then you definitely need to sample the pie at Blue Heaven.

Mike:)

I'ts pretty high on my to-do list next time we go. Will be there in June but only for a day as we'll be driving down from Key Largo but I need to replace a Coffee Plantation coffee mug that vanished sometime over the past couple years :( Hopefully they still carry the same one