Best age to bring kids who are under 3 years old?

snorkelman

My wife and I are considering taking one of Disney’s short (3 or 4 day cruises). We have heard that we do NOT need to pay for children who are under the age of 3 when we take them on a cruise.

Is that true?

Also, we have no intention to take the kids (they are twin girls who are currently 12 months old) until they are old enough to somewhat appreciate the experience and enjoy themselves (not be scared of the characters).

What age do you suggest? We were thinking of waiting until they are about 2 ½.

Any tips/advice is appreciated, as this question comes from a young couple who have been on 15 previous cruises. We have never cruised Disney and we have usually taken 7-day cruises by ourselves (never with children).

We went last year on DCL as a family reunion type vacation. My brother was about 18 months and LOVED it. He wasn't afraid of any of the characters, and ran up to most of them for hugs. All kids are different though.. one of my sisters didn't warm up to the characters until she was almost 3. The only down side to the baby being so young was that he fell asleep during most of the mainstage shows and wasn't able to enjoy them.

I don't remember if the baby was free or if there was a nominal fee (he wasn't in our cabin).

Archived