Family of 16 - reservations for MDR needed?

Our family of 16 (6 different linked cabins) will be sailing on the Breakaway. I have had my travel agency (different agents) check with NCL to make sure we would all be able to sit together at dinner in the MDR. They have always assured me we would. Now I am reading about people making standing MDR reservations for large groups with NCL's group dept. Is this necessary? Our cruise is coming up quickly. If this is the case, Would I be able to do this myself or have to go thru our outside agency?

Any advice from "been there, done that"

People is most appreciated!!!

The largest group we sailed with was 10 on the Star. The MDR had some long tables they used to seat large groups, and those were usually available for us. We had a couple of times we had to wait 10 - 15 minutes, but it certainly wasn't bad.

We're also sailing the Breakaway with a large group (15). We originally booked with NCL, and then transferred the reservations to a TA. We're now in the process of making reservations in order to sit together on several nights.

Through "special events", which is where we were directed for reservations of 14+ people, they appear to be willing to get us 5:30pm ressies in the MDRs, or various times in the specialty restaurants. Since 5:30 doesn't work for our group, we're simply making two ressies around the same time for a party of 8 through the standard online booking process. Depending on the dining room / time requested, it appears you can request a reservation for up to 12 people, regardless of traveling party size.

We're early in the process, and are still sorting through the options available to us...

Doug

I would definitely make reservations if dining together is important. Even though your reservations are linked, the MDR doesn't know you all want to be together or what time you want. It would be the same as walking into a land based restaurant with a large group and expecting to be seated together right away without a reservation.