Pre-Cruise Boston Hotel Advice October 2015

mtu_huskies

We are on Brilliance of the Season 10/11/15. We're looking at advice, looking at you 138east, for our pre-cruise hotel on 10/10. We are thinking we'll get a direct flight from Minneapolis for a mid afternoon arrival. My wife has never been to Boston, and it's been many years for me, so we'd like to see some sights and then get dinner.

I'm a Hilton guy but willing to stay anywhere, we have Hilton Financial District booked at $399 with a cancelable rate. Seems too high for me from the Midwest, but would if it's the best option. I considered Best Western Quincy Adams Inn, but it seems too far out to go out there, check in and take the T back downtown for sights.

Should I seriously consider hotwire Waterfront Area for $200? I've never done Hotwire, but it might be the Seaport? To get downtown for sights/dinner would it be a taxi or the T? Any other hotwire areas look good?

Hilton Backbay is $335 on their site directly, is that closer to sites, hop on/hop off tour etc? Should I be considering the Hiltons by the airport? Any advice/thoughts are appreciated!

We are on Brilliance of the Season 10/11/15. We're looking at advice, looking at you 138east, for our pre-cruise hotel on 10/10. We are thinking we'll get a direct flight from Minneapolis for a mid afternoon arrival. My wife has never been to Boston, and it's been many years for me, so we'd like to see some sights and then get dinner.

I'm a Hilton guy but willing to stay anywhere, we have Hilton Financial District booked at $399 with a cancelable rate. Seems too high for me from the Midwest, but would if it's the best option. I considered Best Western Quincy Adams Inn, but it seems too far out to go out there, check in and take the T back downtown for sights.

Should I seriously consider hotwire Waterfront Area for $200? I've never done Hotwire, but it might be the Seaport? To get downtown for sights/dinner would it be a taxi or the T? Any other hotwire areas look good?

Hilton Backbay is $335 on their site directly, is that closer to sites, hop on/hop off tour etc? Should I be considering the Hiltons by the airport? Any advice/thoughts are appreciated!

We are booked at the Seaport Hotel, as we got it through Hotwire for the weekend before your stay. I have been told that is not too much really in that area, but will be staying 3 more nights after our cruise on the Brilliance. Really just like that we can take a public transit bus from the airport to just in front of this hotel for nothing. Also am finding a few seafood restaurants near there and was hoping to use the money saved on a taxi for this meal.

On the return we are at the Hotel140, as the rate was $188 through Hotwire. Looks to be basic and clean, but really not as upscale as Hilton.

The Hilton Backbay is close to the Prudential Center and I am finding at least one trolley tour that leaves from there (the name escapes me right, so I will try to search for it again and post if I find it).

Getting around Boston by public transit looks like a great option vs. taking a taxi.

You're going to arrive too late to take advantage of the hop on hop off. Perhaps that is something to do the next morning before boarding the ship? At least one of the Hoho's offers stops in the Seaport/waterfront area.

I'd also book the $200 Hotwire hotel which is likely to be the Westin Waterfront or the Seaport. It is a great deal and the hotel will not disappoint. IMO paying twice the money to stay at either Hilton is not worth it. What I would suggest is that the day you arrive, take the Silver Line to South Station and transfer to the Red Line direction Alewife and go two stops to Park Street. This will put you at the beginning of the Freedom Trail on Boston Common. Check out the Common while it is still daylight and follow the trail through the narrow old streets to the Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market area where there are lots of dinner options. You can also continue on the trail into the North End to dine if you like Italian food.

This will cover the oldest most historic section of Boston which is best seen on foot - the hoho buses only offer stops because their buses cannot negotiate many of the small streets. Take a cab back to the hotel. If you take the hoho the next morning, you can just do the full circle loop which is about 1 1/2-2 hours to get a broader view of the city.

Congratulations! You got a great deal.

The Silver Line is free from the airport. For terminals A-C it stops outside baggage claim level. The trick is to get on the rear door if you can. There is one low step and the luggage racks should be right there. IMO no worse than any rental car shuttle.

Since you are going to the Seaport, you want to get off at the first World Trade Center stop on the street. Walk in the same direction as the bus is going to the corner, cross the street, and walk straight ahead to the Seaport entrance. Couldn't be easier.

To get back on the a Silver Line you want to go into the station, buy a ticket, and board any inbound bus to go to South Station where you can do a free transfer to the Red Line direction Alewife to go to Park Street which is the Boston Common.