Taxi Service in Rome - Carnival Liberty

rcarrosq

On 1 Sept I booked the 12 day mediterranean cruise on the Liberty which leaves out of Rome and visits quite a few nice ports. The ship departs Civitavecchia Italy on 7 May and returns on 19 May. We did not book our airfare through Carnival because they are charging $1300. We booked on AA for $961 including all taxes, etc. According to the itinerary, it says the ship gets back at 8 a.m. on the 19th and all the flights out of Rome depart at either 10:10 a.m. or 11:30 a.m. Since we figured we'd never make those flights, we decided to stay an extra night in Rome and fly back to the states on the 20th.

Here's the problem. Carnival says it is 1.5 hours from the airport to the pier and a transfer costs $65 per person each way. They do NOT provide any kind of service from the pier to a local hotel in Rome. From everything I've read on various websites, taxi fare is expensive and kind of iffy at best. We plan to buy transfers from the airport to the pier on the day of departure but were wondering if anybody here can recommend a taxi or limo service that would pick you up at the pier and take you to your hotel in Rome and then pick you up at the hotel in Rome on the 20th and take you to the airport. Any advice would be appreciated.

This is kind of related to your question, it may or may not help you. The taxi's from the pier to Citavecchia want to take you directly to the airport, and not the train station. If I remember correctly, John Heald said that the cost of them to take you to the airport was €140.

There is a train station there, but you'd probably let someone else answer that who has taken the train from Rome to Citavecchia.

According to the itinerary, it says the ship gets back at 8 a.m. on the 19th and all the flights out of Rome depart at either 10:10 a.m. or 11:30 a.m. Since we figured we'd never make those flights, we decided to stay an extra night in Rome and fly back to the states on the 20th.

Although the itinerary says 8 am, all the reviews of the Liberty cruises so far have reported that the ship docks much earlier. Debarkation is starting as early as 6 am.

Check thru this thread for the Liberty Reviews.

Hope this makes things easier for you.

I dont know anything about the port but I have taken the train from the Rome airport to "downtown" Rome (and back) and as I recall it was not a big deal.

You might find it cheaper to take the Carnival transfer to the airport and then catch the train back to Rome proper.

From the downtown Rome train Termini you can catch a taxi to whatever hotel you have selected.

Whatever you do, enjoy!

I took the train from the pier at to the Termini station

after a 12 day cruise and it was quite reasonable. Keep in mind, however, that you must handle your own luggage. If able, this is a viable option and gives you a sense of acomplishment in negotiating public transportation. :)

A note of caution; do not agree to a taxi while you are still in the train station. If you are approached, they are a rogue taxi. Exit the station and use the taxi stand. (This goes for the airport too);)

We just got back from the Aug 25th sailing. We used Romashuttle car service for all transportation and we thought it was quite reasonable. We paid 45E for a ride (for 3 of us) from the airport to our hotel near the Vatican (Best Western Spring House- 150E per night for a deluxe room for 3--really a two bedroom suite). We then had a ride from the hotel to Citivecchia for 110E for all three of us. We were brought right to the ship. The train station is quite a walk, the shipyard itself is really big. Our last ride, of course was from Citivecchia to the Airport and for that we shared with another couple that we met on these boards so they charged us 130E for all five of us. It was an eight passenger van each time so I'm sure we could have shared with more people. They were very reliable and early to pick us up. We even checked our e-mail in Barcelona (2 euros per hour in the internet store directly on Las Ramblas) and they re comfirmed the Citavecchia pick up. I made all the arrangements by e-mail and paid nothing until riding. The e-mail address is romashuttleinfo@yahoo.it romashuttle.com <romashuttleinfo@yahoo.it>

The is also a website

http://www.romashuttle.com

The person I communicated with is Alfredo (all in English).

We'll be on the same cruise with you - but we're simply flying home after the ship docks. We're taking the Transatlantic on 4/23/06, docking in Civitavecchia on 5/7/06. We'll be going into Rome and doing whatever we can on that one day and then reboarding the Lilberty for the Med cruise. It's a shame that it's all those transfers are so terribly expensive. If you find an in expensive way to do it, let me know.

Felice & Marv.

On 1 Sept I booked the 12 day mediterranean cruise on the Liberty which leaves out of Rome and visits quite a few nice ports. The ship departs Civitavecchia Italy on 7 May and returns on 19 May. We did not book our airfare through Carnival because they are charging $1300. We booked on AA for $961 including all taxes, etc. According to the itinerary, it says the ship gets back at 8 a.m. on the 19th and all the flights out of Rome depart at either 10:10 a.m. or 11:30 a.m. Since we figured we'd never make those flights, we decided to stay an extra night in Rome and fly back to the states on the 20th.

Here's the problem. Carnival says it is 1.5 hours from the airport to the pier and a transfer costs $65 per person each way. They do NOT provide any kind of service from the pier to a local hotel in Rome. From everything I've read on various websites, taxi fare is expensive and kind of iffy at best. We plan to buy transfers from the airport to the pier on the day of departure but were wondering if anybody here can recommend a taxi or limo service that would pick you up at the pier and take you to your hotel in Rome and then pick you up at the hotel in Rome on the 20th and take you to the airport. Any advice would be appreciated.

Bobs limousine service in rome. The best ranked 3rd out of 200 in Rome. American owned.

Taxi's in Rome scare me. Otherwise try this. Used a limo service once (not from the port though) and they scared me a little less then the Taxi's. I only thought I was going to die through 3/4's of the drive.

http://www.inroma.it/Transportation/Taxi/

Michael

Thanks for all the replies. I sent a request for quote to some of the limo services and they all replied. I think I might go with Bob's Limousines. They are charging 179E for the trip from the pier for 4 of us with lots of luggage to our hotel in Rome (Torre Rossa Park Hotel) and then come the next day and pick us up from the hotel and take us to the airport for an additional 59E. Of course, I haven't committed yet as I am still searching for a better deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Why don't you join our thread? We're all on the cruise on May 7th.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=199297

Archived