20 year old and drinking, out of Southhampton

Sorry if I had the law wrong about Scotland. I was going off of what I was told by some friends who went there 1.5 years ago. The dad was telling his son it would be a moment when they could have their first "legal drink" together, but were repeatedly told the drinking age was 21 over the course of their holiday. I guess they must have gone to the more strict places?

Edited by cindivan

My daughter is gutted that she cant have a pina colada onboard the oasis...

Does US have a big problem with young drinkers? I know we do here where I live. My daughter is not a big drinker, and she certainly would not be when she is with us. But thems the rules!

Does any country not have a problem with underage drinkers?

Sorry if I had the law wrong about Scotland. I was going off of what I was told by some friends who went there 1.5 years ago. The dad was telling his son it would be a moment when they could have their first "legal drink" together, but were repeatedly told the drinking age was 21 over the course of their holiday. I guess they must have gone to the more strict places?

This has made me giggle- the dad and son must have been in night clubs for the 21 yr rule - I am sure if anyone looked out of place it was the dad :D

Of note we sailed the US over xmas and new year holidays and the EU over high summer holidays- There was a far bigger issue of teens (16-20) drinking and being stupid on the US sailing than on the EU one - the teens on the EU were drinking in the open and wisely- A different kettle of fish on the usa sailing - I was really worried at how drunk some were getting (easy to do - they just took the drinks off the waiters trays and signed the paper (parents names maybe?) - and on a ship!! We called security to the cabin next to us in which a whole load of teens were partying all night long - with a balcony which they were mucking about on - gave me the shivers I stayed out on ours next door most of the night just in case - security were useless - came twice asked them to quieten down removed some (all came back in 10 mins )- did not go and get the parents.

from their cabin!! We also noted the the 17-20 yrs in the US sailing were just kids and much more like our 15yr old who met up with them at teen club and they all collected at the pool and disco on deck (however, unlike the others she was not allowed to wander about ship any time day or night - collected out side the club at night much to her horror lol) The older ones 19/20 were so young (still running about the ship mucking about and at the stage of trying to sneak alcohol) like our 14-16yrs would and so had absolutely nothing in common with our older girl then aged 20 - final year at uni, just got job offer and was in the process of buying her first house - ie an adult lol On the EU sailing it was the 14-16yr olds that ran about stupid

We've had similar experiences sailing in the two regions.