Any beach-accessible snorkeling on Half Moon Cay, Bahamas?

D+D

I understand that here is a beautiful beach to hang out. Are there any locations where we can walk / get to beach-accessible snorkeling (we have our own gear)? Any recommendations for a snorkeling excursion? Thanks

Last year we snorkeled at the near end to where u tender in. Only saw a few fish.

I have read that if u walk all the way to the far end that snorkeling in good there. We will b there in less than 2 weeks. Going to try it.

@ BlueHanu – Thanks for the reply. You’ve already given a positive response since you’ve been there and are going back! I’ll look forward to reading about how rewarding the “far end” snorkeling was. Enjoy your cruise.

D+D

==========================================

Upcoming - July 2015 Carnival Pride “Eastern Caribbean”

2010-2013 time out for All-Inclusive “Land Cruises”

2009 RCI Explorer of the Seas “Exotic Caribbean”

2008 Carnival Victory “Bahamas”

2008 Norwegian Dawn “Bermuda”

2007 Norwegian Spirit “Overnight to Nowhere”

2007 Norwegian Majesty “Western Caribbean"

2006 Norwegian Spirit “Virgin Islands & Bermuda”

2004 Celebrity Horizon “Bermuda”

1997 Carnival Inspiration “Southern Caribbean”

D.

Thanks. There was really very little to see except the end. They pit in some of those reef balls to start a reef but nothing there. The beach is beautiful, but u know a great beach and great snorkeling don't usually go together.... Unless u r in Roatan. Lol.

Actually we were just there last month and I was excited to see things along the entire wall up and down the left side. The entire wall is rocks and you'll find tons of fish there and live coral and even some anemones as well. It's VERY shallow water and so easy to just lay down and pull yourself along the sandy bottom beside it.

We went down it taking pictures of everything and then went around the private cabana house there with the slide into the water and then down the other side. I was pretty excited to see some things since I really didn't even think there would be "anything" there.

Also if you go out in front of that cabana house, they have a few reef balls as well with some fish in it.

It's not "extra good" snorkeling, but it worked for a few hours for us. :D

If you want, I have a complete review in my signature line of our day there and if you scroll through it, you'll come to my snorkeling pictures from there. There's tons of them. :)

I've been wondering the same thing. I've heard from others that the far end is the best spot on the beach for shore snorkeling. My wife and I have gear but it looks like a long walk to those rocks. We will scuba at some other ports so I'm still not sure if we'll try snorkeling at HMC.

This was the first time I heard of the reef balls. They can take a long time to get started.

I've been wondering the same thing. I've heard from others that the far end is the best spot on the beach for shore snorkeling. My wife and I have gear but it looks like a long walk to those rocks. We will scuba at some other ports so I'm still not sure if we'll try snorkeling at HMC.

This was the first time I heard of the reef balls. They can take a long time to get started.

I'm not sure how long the reef balls have been there, but there was definitely a momma fish guarding her eggs in it when we were there. LOL

P4090210%20copy-L.jpg

Did you look at my snorkeling pictures I posted? While not the most amazing pictures and definitely not a "reef" there's plenty to see right there off the shore as you enter the beach. It's definitely worth taking your goggles to check out.

P4090108%20%282%29%20copy-L.jpg

P4090120%20%282%29%20copy-L.jpg

P4090170%20copy-L.jpg

P4090188%20copy-L.jpg

P4090191%20copy-L.jpg

Thanks for the info & the photos! You've assured me that we'll have more to do than just fry on the beach or buoy in the waves.

D+D

==========================================

Upcoming - July 2015 Carnival Pride “Eastern Caribbean”

2010-2013 time out for All-Inclusive “Land Cruises”

2009 RCI Explorer of the Seas “Exotic Caribbean”

2008 Carnival Victory “Bahamas”

2008 Norwegian Dawn “Bermuda”

2007 Norwegian Spirit “Overnight to Nowhere”

2007 Norwegian Majesty “Western Caribbean"

2006 Norwegian Spirit “Virgin Islands & Bermuda”

2004 Celebrity Horizon “Bermuda”

1997 Carnival Inspiration “Southern Caribbean”