Setting up a cash account onboard

Hi, I've just completed online check in for my upcoming cruise, and filled out the credit card details for onboard spending.

However I would much rather have a cash account to be used for all of my family. How does this work - do we pay onboard as soon as we board? How much do I need to pay upfront? Can I pay some on to each account, so the kids have their own spends? Or do I put it all against my account and link everyone's seapass card to it?

If I do register a credit card, how much is used as a 'hold' amount?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi, I've just completed online check in for my upcoming cruise, and filled out the credit card details for onboard spending.

However I would much rather have a cash account to be used for all of my family. How does this work - do we pay onboard as soon as we board? How much do I need to pay upfront? Can I pay some on to each account, so the kids have their own spends? Or do I put it all against my account and link everyone's seapass card to it?

If I do register a credit card, how much is used as a 'hold' amount?

Thanks in advance :)

Royal lets you charge up to $500 before they ask you to pay down the account. No upfront cash needed.

We have never seen any holds put on our credit card.

We always opt for a cash account, you can if you want go to guest service on boarding have money added to the account so it has a credit on the sea pass. Anyone travelling in the same cabin the cards are link to the lead names passenger. Guest service will contact you if he account goes over a set amount by will leave a message which request that you reduce the amount owing.

At the end of the cruise you can then pay any remain amount by using a credit card.

Thank you for the replies.

Barnet - I would want to put some cash on upfront on boarding, is there a minimum amount requested? Also, it is actual cash, not a debit card used?

If we do this and then need to use a credit card to settle any amounts outstanding, does the card have to ge registered up front? Would we go to guest services on the morning of disembarking, or the evening before?

We've never cruised before, so have no idea how it all works.

Thank you for the replies.

Barnet - I would want to put some cash on upfront on boarding, is there a minimum amount requested? Also, it is actual cash, not a debit card used?

If we do this and then need to use a credit card to settle any amounts outstanding, does the card have to ge registered up front? Would we go to guest services on the morning of disembarking, or the evening before?

We've never cruised before, so have no idea how it all works.

Cash accounts must be settled on the last evening of the cruise.

Thank you clarea, that sounds better than having to do it on the last morning.

Is the last evening when we'll get an itemised bill?

No, you will get the final itemized bill early on the last morning.

However, when you go to Guest Services on the last night (or any other time for that matter), you can ask for a printout of your itemized bill.

Edited by clarea

Royal lets you charge up to $500 before they ask you to pay down the account. No upfront cash needed.

We have never seen any holds put on our credit card.

So if we spent $500 or less, then we'd just settle up at the end? This is actual cash isn't it, rather than a debit card? It's confusing as I keep reading that the ship operates a cashless system. :confused:

No, you will get the final itemized bill early on the last morning.

However, when you go to Guest Services on the last night (or any other time for that matter), you can ask for a printout of your itemized bill.

I see, so what would happen if I settled the bill the last evening, then spent some more money? Another trip to guest services on the final morning?

So if we spent $500 or less, then we'd just settle up at the end? This is actual cash isn't it, rather than a debit card? It's confusing as I keep reading that the ship operates a cashless system. :confused:

The ship operates on a cashless system -- they give each passenger a card. This card opens your cabin door. It also is used to purchase anything on the ship. These purchases are ultimately charged to whatever method you have set up to pay for your purchases -- ie. purchases deduct from any cash you may have already given them or it adds up to an amount they will charge your credit card at the end of the cruise.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

I see, so what would happen if I settled the bill the last evening, then spent some more money? Another trip to guest services on the final morning?

If you have a cash account, and you settle up on the last evening, you can no longer charge anything. That is one of the advantages of having a credit card account: no need to settle up and your charging ability does not get turned off.

If you have a cash account, and you settle up on the last evening, you can no longer charge anything. That is one of the advantages of having a credit card account: no need to settle up and your charging ability does not get turned off.

Ok that's great - thank you for all your help. :)

The ship operates on a cashless system -- they give each passenger a card. This card opens your cabin door. It also is used to purchase anything on the ship. These purchases are ultimately charged to whatever method you have set up to pay for your purchases -- ie. purchases deduct from any cash you may have already given them or it adds up to an amount they will charge your credit card at the end of the cruise.

Thank you - very helpful. So, if I put cash on the account up front, I don't need to register a credit card at all?

Thank you - very helpful. So, if I put cash on the account up front, I don't need to register a credit card at all?

You don't need to register a credit card, whether you put cash up front or not.

You don't need to register a credit card, whether you put cash up front or not.

So, if we choose cash we don't have to register a credit card at all? Whether we choose to leave cash up front or not?

I'm just trying to sort everything, as our cruise is in just over a week.

That is one of the advantages of having a credit card account: no need to settle up and your charging ability does not get turned off.

And of course you do not have to stand in line at guest services waiting to settle your account. It is always a bonus seeing how long the line at guest services could be.

Edited by sky0000547

So, if we choose cash we don't have to register a credit card at all? Whether we choose to leave cash up front or not?

I'm just trying to sort everything, as our cruise is in just over a week.

Correct.

If you register a credit card then it will automatically be charged the last morning.

If you do not register a credit card then you have a cash account. You do not need to (but you can) put any money down up front. They will let you charge up to $500 before asking you to pay it down.

Correct.

If you register a credit card then it will automatically be charged the last morning.

If you do not register a credit card then you have a cash account. You do not need to (but you can) put any money down up front. They will let you charge up to $500 before asking you to pay it down.

Thank you, I'd best get some dollars ordered, I think the conversion rate is good atm. :)

• 4 years later...

Hello.  If I pre-purchase OBC, are those funds available to me when I board (Day 1)?  I previously had promotional OBC that was not available until Day 2, I think.  Would like to confirm if pre-purchased and promotional OBC are treated differently? 

Also, is it possible to convert from a credit card to cash account while onboard?  I am guessing that this is possible but would like to confirm.

Edit - Sorry, meant to ask this question in the newer thread. I was trying to find the answer to my question and found this thread and drafted my question and hit sent ...

Edited by nu_cruzer1

If you set it up with a credit card you can still pay it off in cash before leaving the ship. 

We set ours up with a credit card for the convenience; however, on the last day we pay it off in cash.  This allows us to still use our seapass account on the last night (if needed) and any outstanding balance just gets charged to the credit card on file.

2 hours ago, nu_cruzer1 said:

Hello.  If I pre-purchase OBC, are those funds available to me when I board (Day 1)?  I previously had promotional OBC that was not available until Day 2, I think.  Would like to confirm if pre-purchased and promotional OBC are treated differently? 

Also, is it possible to convert from a credit card to cash account while onboard?  I am guessing that this is possible but would like to confirm.

Edit - Sorry, meant to ask this question in the newer thread. I was trying to find the answer to my question and found this thread and drafted my question and hit sent ...

Since OBC is just an offset for any charges made on board when it appears is not usually a factor. If your account is a credit card account there is no limit on spending.  If you have a cash account they will let you charge up to $500 on a 7 day cruise before you need to pay does your account