St Maarten on Carnival Victory May 2012 Airplane Video

Awesome video. I will add that, in my opinion the best view is from the water. When we were there it was so crowded that it was almost imposable to get photos or video. My friend Aaron filmed from a small boat and it was incredible. You do miss some of the runway footage from the water.

To put the "fence surfing" portion in perspective... This video was taken by DH... 225 lbs and sturdy, and it still blew so hard it was difficult to hold the camera steady, as you saw.

TIP: When you see Insel Air plans lining up, get your camera ready. (and get out of the way... NOT on the beach behind the plane where you can wathc people get sand blasted). They intentionally put on the show. The "fence surfing" was courtesy of Insel Air sitting in position, putting full throttle, and holding the brakes. Check out the first officer waving as they pull into position, and they get as close to the fence as possible... earlier in the video, the same plane lands, and it is clear that they come in as low and fast as possible.

About the view from the water.... avoid the area directly behind the planes during takeoffs. It is easy to know which area I speak of, as the fine sand is missing, and the sand looks "rougher" there. If you are directly behind the planes taking off, but on the other side of any sand, you WILL get sandblasted, and it will hurt. A boat would definitely be a great way to go. :) Enjoy, and stay safe.