Mosquitos in Roatan

travelling mom

I heard that there is a large mosquito population in Roatan. Could anyone tell me if this is a year round occurence or just limited to some particular months? I am planning to vist in March. Thanks

When we were there in December, I did not find the mosquitos a problem but the sand flies were a bit nasty.

When we were there in December, I did not find the mosquitos a problem but the sand flies were a bit nasty.

Like anywhere else in the world where there are mosquitoes, they tend to be heavy after a couple of days of sun, after a rainfall.

In addition, wherever there is still water..(marshland and swamps)...mosquitoes are more of an issue.

In March, we are past the rainy season, so it should be more dry than not; meaning less mosquitoes..

Like everywhere else...bring some repellent and you'll be fine.

However, like the other post said, the sand fleas for some people can be a waaaaay bigger problem (year round).

You cannot see nor hear them, and their bites can cause (for some people) inflammation, redness and extreme itching a day later.

They are out and about, early in the morning or at dusk, when a person is near sand....which by the way....we have lots of sand here on Roatan! :rolleyes:

I have read that at Tabayana Beach they treat the sand for the fleas. Is this true? This is why we chose Tabayana over Fosters.

Yes, that's true. As a matter of fact, a lot of the resorts in WEST BAY are now doing that.

Once they ALL do, that should really help. However, there are a few resorts that can't justify the costs.

Just make sure to bring some repellent, and all should be well.;)

Archived