Door Decorating - Carnival setting standards

Personally I have never decorated my door and wouldn't think of it. For those who seem to have problems finding their cabins...I would think you have some serious issues either with alcohol or you might be directionally challenged.

Does it bother me? Not really other than it makes the cabin decks look like college dorms or an elementary school, For the few who leave the ship with the doors still "decorated" with the room stewards left to take it down I would charge them for the time it takes to clean up the door.

I fully understand those that "just don't see it". What I don't understand is those that have heartburn with those of us that decorate our cabin doors.

As long as it is not obscene it is no skin of anybodies nose including CCL as long as it doesn't create a safety hazard and you clean up after yourself when you leave.

There are so many things in life, especially as I grow older, "that I just don't get" that I have developed the attitude of if it floats their boat and doesn't cause me any grief who cares.

I agree with everything you said except the part about CCL not having a right to care about this issue as long as you aren't damaging the door. This I disagree with (I am not saying they should)...but YES they have a right to care about this issue, they OWN the property you are talking about and IF they were to decide they don't like the overall atmosphere, appearance or any other factor created by decorating the doors they are the ONLY opinions that DO matter.

They have the right to tell you whether this is ok or not. ONLY they do however, otherwise I say - to each their own and I don't care one way or the other. :)

• 2 months later...

We have put a dry erase board when cruising with family to put where everyone is...sometimes other people comment and it usually isnt non-appropriate :rolleyes:

Also, when our family cruised together the day after my cousin got married we decorated their door with honeymoon/wedding decor.

If I could not put t photo of my dogs on the door that would be too sad. In the past used magnet or tacky stuff -It did not damage the doors. I have a problem with numbers and have a hard time finding my cabin by just looking for number. Never a problem with Beauty and Lucy-loo dogs welcome photo.

How True! Some of what I would call just plain ole tacky is considered art by others....oh well.

It is the thought that counts; if I, or my children, design a decoration using materials we have on hand and it conveys a loving message to a family member, what business is it of anyone else's? ITA with this- of course my design is not going to please everyone. It's not supposed to. It's for my family and was designed with love for them, not anyone else.

We enjoy door decorating and have created a variety of designs over the years. However, we are extremely careful to remove everything and leave no marks or evidence that it was ever there. Last two cruises, I used some kind of "mounting putty" that worked well. I've also used double-sided tape that can be a bit more difficult to clean off.

We typically take a collage of dive photos on a single piece of paper for the door... gotta have eels and fish to help us find the cabin!

We meet all the divers in the area, and lots of random folks as well that stop to comment on the photos.

One photo always featured in the collage is a purple sponge pointing up at a pinky colored feather worm... and we know who noticed, as there's usually some snickering when folks stop to look again. ;)

Wendy

There are a few sites on FB about door decorating and they keep in touch with Carnival about what is acceptable for use. Here are a few to share:

1. NO Scotch/Duct tape! (blue masking tape is ok but isn't very strong!)

2. NO Velcro.

3. NO Contact Paper

4. NO Colored Gel Clings (might bleed)

Things allowed:

1. 3M Command Strips

2. Loctite fun-tak (which is a blue putty)

3. Scotch removable mounting putty

I have found it is much easier to just take a cut down to size piece of fabric, wallpaper, wrapping paper, or plastic tablecloth from the dollar tree. Then I cut it to size (72x22) (leaving room for the vent) and affixing my decorations anyway I want too. Then nothing touches the door.

As far as a dry-erase board... have done it in the past but do be prepared. Rude and thoughtless drivel and art have been known to be left.

If using a regular sheet of paper, card stock, etc... please consider using something other than a marker. (Or place them higher up!) I have seen a few unsupervised children using the markers to draw on the doors and walls. If it's permanent - much more work for steward! Just a thought...

Just off the Sunshine. My putty wouldn't hold my deco to door, not sure if it was because I had used it numerous times before. Anyway, our AWSOME room steward, Dennis, gave me the 2 inch wide clear package tape and scissors to cut it with!! Ask him if he was sure it would come off, he hugged me and thanked me for asking. Gave it back that night, with $10 and a thank you.

Just off the Sunshine. My putty wouldn't hold my deco to door, not sure if it was because I had used it numerous times before. Anyway, our AWSOME room steward, Dennis, gave me the 2 inch wide clear package tape and scissors to cut it with!! Ask him if he was sure it would come off, he hugged me and thanked me for asking. Gave it back that night, with $10 and a thank you.

Here's a picture!!!

ImageUploadedByForums1441068710.549085.jpg.d37998c52eac9ffc2281f24f8280993d.jpg