Does carnival keep "notes" on past passengers?

amsred2

Feel sure Carnival and other cruises lines know more about us than we think they do! :D

We're not fond of having Carnival cabin stewards address us without using a Mr. or Miss in front of our first names. Seems quite unprofessional and is very seldom done on most other cruise lines. :rolleyes:

LuLu

I actually prefer that form of address.

And "I" am not their friend. I am their customer.

Based on your post, sounds like using "Hey Bud" instead of Dr. would also be the preference in the mid west.

How do you address judges in the mid-west, by first names too? They are my public servants.

When they're off the bench I do but then I'm not in the mid-west and knew most if not all of them before they were on the bench.:D

I disagree with you. We southerners use the title Miss in front of a female's first name once they have reached adult hood. It doesn't matter whether the female is married or not. We do usually say the person's last name if they are older than us, if they hold a position in society that deserves our respect, or if we don't know them very well. Generally, if we prefer a title not be used when speaking to us, we tell them to just call us by our first name.

Agreed.

barney_stinson_-_thumbs_up_gif.gif

I disagree with you. We southerners use the title Miss in front of a female's first name once they have reached adult hood. It doesn't matter whether the female is married or not. We do usually say the person's last name if they are older than us, if they hold a position in society that deserves our respect, or if we don't know them very well. Generally, if we prefer a title not be used when speaking to us, we tell them to just call us by our first name.

Agreed and don't get us to explain "bless your heart". No it isn't bad most of the time. On a side note, I usually hold/open the door for any female, but on a trip to a non southern destination, I was chastised more that once by the female for that.

DH and I were on the Inspiration a few weeks ago and had some issues. However, our room steward was superb which more than made up for the problems we had elsewhere. I was so impressed by his impeccable service and that he addressed my husband and I, by name, from the moment he spotted us and on every meeting throughout this three day cruise. It didn't occur to me until the last day that he had been addressing me by "Amy". This is my nickname (usually only friends and family call me Amy), not my birth-name which would have been on the passenger manifest. I had not introduced myself using my nickname...matter-of-fact I never had the need to introduce myself as he knew us right away.

So the only reasonable explanation I can come up with, is that on a previous voyage (on this ship or others?) a note was made of my nickname. Also, if this is true, do you think that they also keep notes on our habits, tips, preferences etc???

I'm sure if you do something serious enough they may keep track.

I did happen to notice back in the 90's when I made a complaint, they would ultimately offer a % off your next cruise. Every subsequent complaint, that percentage increased by 5%. Even if the complaint was something minor or silly, at least to me.

Larry & I came from Southern Calif to central Ga. in 1995, Can you just imagine the shock. Yes Mam, No Sir, Mr Larry, Miss Char. At 73 years old here in Fl I still find my self doing it.

I like that & also see it as a little bit of respect.

Char

Agreed and don't get us to explain "bless your heart". No it isn't bad most of the time. On a side note, I usually hold/open the door for any female, but on a trip to a non southern destination, I was chastised more that once by the female for that.

And when a Southern woman gets mad, she may not show you how angry she is except by politing you to death. :D

PVP have access to a list of all of your cruises. Your cabin mates and any special request or needs.

Cabin stewards and the wait staff are required to call each passenger in their area by name.

There have many people blacklisted by Carnival. It can happen for causing a disturbance, fighting or many other actions. View your contract to see what can get you kicked off of a carnival ship.

And if we don't remember your name we will just call you "Hon". :D

Sailing - you are near me! I work in Lawrenceville and live in Lilburn!

Feel sure Carnival and other cruises lines know more about us than we think they do! :D

We're not fond of having Carnival cabin stewards address us without using a Mr. or Miss in front of our first names. Seems quite unprofessional and is very seldom done on most other cruise lines. :rolleyes:

LuLu

We've never ad our Steward address us by first name only. Always Mr. Tim and Ms. Lu

On our last cruise our then 8 year old son was so happy because he was always called "Master (insert first or last name)" He thought it was so cool. Just like Batman. "Master" is what you call an unmarried man. That is why Alfred refers to Bruce Wayne as Master Bruce or Master Wayne not because Alfred is a servant. The staff got right into it and even made reference to seeing the Joker and Penguin. The staff do make the cruise extra special.:D

We southerners?

It is an age thing in my reality.

If you are a child and calling a person by their first name, like a friend of your Mama's or your kindergarten teacher, then add Miss.

When we are all adults, then that should be over.

When other adults start with the Miss stuff, it means that they see you as being much older than they are.

As for the steward, he/she can call me by my first name or Mzloolue.

Either will do.

The steward is not my servant.

He or she is working, but I am not their boss.

I treat them like I would expect to be treated.

Edited by mzloolue

We southerners?

If you are a child and calling a person by their first name, like a friend of your Mama's or your kindergarten teacher, then add Miss.

When other adults start with the Miss stuff, it means that they see you as being much older than they are.

Either will do.

I'm 46 so I guess that makes me old :) I still say "sir" & "ma'am" ... even to younger folk.

I catch myself saying that someone is "Super Sweet" who is past the point of a good "bless their little heart"......:D

I'm sure the staff that comes into close customer contact with the same group daily jot down little notes to help them remember. Taking an interest in people enhances the customer experience and I would be shocked if that was not part of their training.

What is most amazing to me is their ability to be away from their family, work long hours and deal with the general public with a smile on their face!

I had an issue on my last cruise on the Fascination where my OBC for booking on board the Freedom kept falling off. There were some additional issues in which I was given some very wrong information by a substitute PVP (as mine was on vacation). I ended up at guests services more than once, and as we were leaving HMC, the communication with the satellite is pretty bad. The guest service rep told me she wanted to review all the notes on my profile about this booking - and I could see them - with direct quotes of things I had said. I had expressed frustration at the information I had been provided and that infor was there.

Honestly, it's a smart business move. The more personalized the service, the better the service will be perceived to be.

And FWIW, my issue on the Fascination was resolved to my satisfaction and Guest Services was amazing!

We southerners?

Either will do.

I guess my southern mama raised me to say Miss in front of a females name and Mr. in front of a male's name as a way to show respect. I believe that if a steward or waiter calls me Miss Cindy, then they are showing respect. I don't feel they are telling me I am old, even though I am probably twice their age. I also would not be upset if they called me Cindy, without a title. I have always been treated with great respect by all staff members on a cruise ship. I am amazed at their ability to remember my name after one meeting.

I'm not sure to whom you are referring in your comment "the steward is not my servant. He or she is working, but I am not their boss". I am not able to understand what message you were trying to get across from that statement.