ITB or Synchromed Pump

Sequim88

With ship screening about as tight as airport screening (metal detector, etc...) are they also as weird about implanted devices as at airports? My wife has an Intrathecal Bacolfen Pump implanted to drip muscle relaxant into her spine. At the airport she practically has to strip to prove there is a pump in there (despite the card from Medtronic explaining the pump in her belly).

Anyone here cruise with an implanted pump? After they see you a few times at ports do they lighten up on the screening?

BTW too - any ITB users out there? The above question might end up moot for us by the time we cruise since it has not worked (worse she is allergic to the med) and the pump might end up being removed. Anyone else have a bad experience with ITB therapy?

My husband also has an Intrathecal Bacolfen Pump and we have never had any issues either at the airport or during ship screening. In fact, he never even has had to show his card. Perhaps it is because he always points out the pump before he gets questioned about it.

Luckily, he has had a pump for over 12 years and the only time he has had an issue with it was when it needed to be replaced.

I doubt you'll have any real issues at the port. To be honest most of the lines are more concerned if you are bringing on food or drinks (especially alcohol) than if the metal detector goes off. I'm guessing on this one too but considering the rate folks go throguh they don't seem to be set as sensitive as those at airports. They seem pretty lax about it there. Again, they seem to be on the lookout for alcohol.

Candy

Thanks. The pump never did well enough to get her out of a wheelchair for long distance walking (like airports) so perhaps the wheelchair was enough to make them scrutinize things more.

Del67 and Redsoxfan....do either of your husbands have dystonia or is the pump purely for spastiticy? My wife has 100% dystonia (from head injury long ago) and we knew the pump was a long shot going in but it has not helped much at all.

Redsoxfan...have a great cruise and tack on to this thread when you return if the pump caused any extra security issues. We're going to Las Vegas a a few weeks so will see if the airport scrutiny has loosened up any.

Sequim88:

My husband uses the pump for the spasticity associated with MS. He can stand for transfers, but otherwise uses a wheelchair. We usually take 4 or more round trips a year by plane and have never even had to show his card. Of course, damage to his wheelchair is another story!.

My husband's pump is pain meds for a chronic pain condition. He has a fusion of his right leg due to failed knee replacements..he is unable to bend that leg as it has a titanium rod...he ought to light up those metal detectors but good!:p

Will post after out cruise to let you know. We had a heck of experience last time we flew about 7 years ago...he has great difficulty getting into seat of plane unless armrest lifts...they had promised us it did...it did not..Pilot was an @$))( was rude and insulting as my husband is a Large man and told him if he could not sit in seat to get off..we almost owned the airline...someone at the gate was sharp enough to bring that plane back from the waiting area of runway or we would have!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived