Buying liquor on board?

Rockytolb

I will be sailing on Mariner on 9/25/05. I know thay RCCL used to allow you to take bottles of liquor purchased at the duty free shop back to your cabin, for an additional charge. I have heard that they have put an end to this palicy and will only deliver said liquor on the last day of the cruise. Does anyone kow if this is accurate?

Thanks

Chris

I believe what you are saying is accurate. However, I cannot confirm this. I sailed on Explorer in February 2005 and at that time you could purchase onboard liquoir and take it back to your room for an additional fee. But from what people have said on here, it seems like things will be chaning or have already changed.

I don't know what the policy is any more. I don't know why they elminated that policy of allowing you to take it back to your room. But I know that a friend on our Voyager cruise late last week bought a bottle of Vodka on day 1, and was told they would get it back on the final day of the cruise. But, on day 3, I bought a bottle and was allowed to carry it away without even a surcharge.

Yes, that is accurate. I was just on a cruise last week and it was always funny to walk by the liquor store and see how completely empty it was because no one was buying. At least, they weren't buying like on our previous cruise in March when people were lined up 10 deep on the first night to buy liquor for their cabins.

But this isn't to say the policy has slowed down their liquor sales. On our last night, I got a look down at deck 2 where they had brought out all the liquor purchases and were starting to deliver them to the rooms. There were a *ton* of liquor boxes down there.

So if you want something for the privacy of your own cabin, you're only left with smuggling. I was a little worried about that on our last cruise but it didn't turn out to be that difficult.

But this isn't to say the policy has slowed down their liquor sales. On our last night, I got a look down at deck 2 where they had brought out all the liquor purchases and were starting to deliver them to the rooms. There were a *ton* of liquor boxes down there.

A lot of those boxes could have been liquor bought on the islands that were "quarantined" until the last night.

On our Adventure cruise they were stacking up liquor boxes galore from people boarding the ships in St Thomas, St Maarten and Antigua.

If you were on an E. Carib itenerary, prices in port were lower than the prices I saw onboard. There were a ton of people purchasing liquor in St. Maartin and St. Thomas. The sales might not have come from the liquor store but from the shops in port.

As far as I can tell, you can still order bottles of wine to be delivered to your cabin for stateroom consumption. (You can also order for dining room delivery.) Don't know if the link will work, but you can find it yourself by going to the RCCL home page, clicking "Before you Board" then "Gifts and Gear"

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/giftcatalog/category/home.do;jsessionid=0000Fd5b4pqAA-t1S71S5vx1L1i:10ktmevl6?catCode=WINE

Not liquor, but wine ain't bad to relax with before dinner in your cabin. :)

I was also on the 9/4 VOS sailing - not only did I bring liquor on board in my suitcase with no problem, but I bought 4 bottles of liquor on the ship on Day 3 and brought them all back to my room with me for no extra fee. It may have been an unspoken compensation for having our time in Bermuda cut a day short, but if it was, I never heard about it. Fingers crossed they keep it that way!

Archived