Hawaii or Panama Canal? Please help me choose

Croptop

least I think I know my math. My point was that you get 7 full days in Hawaii by flying in and out of Honolulu. Now for many people who just love a lot of sea days, and are fine with the 5 days in port out of 15 days, that's just fine.

I had a perfectly nice time on Princess Hawaii cruise, but that is when I realized that having that many sea days in a row, just isn't for me. To each his own.

When I did my Hawaiian cruise, I flew RT into Honolulu & picked up the cruise there. The nice thing, I feel, is that to call at a "distant foreign port" we sailed down to Fanning Island, about 1k miles away. At least "back then" (I don't know about now), that cruise itinerary was the weekly supply ship to the people who live on the atol. We were there for 6 hours, if memory serves, and it was a pleasant day.

As the OP, I figured I'd close the loop and thank you all, again, for your insights, advice, and recommendations. The decision has been made: I've opted for the 15-day Hawaii cruise. Yes, I'll be spending most of my days at sea and, yes, I'll only get a short time on each island. But that's Ok with me.

Counting down the days until I'll be cruising again.

I think you made the right choice! I would save the Panama Canal until you have the opportunity to do a full transit. Yes, you get only a short time on each island, but you also get to relax between them instead of dealing with airports and hotel check-ins and -outs that come with island-hopping by plane.

OT: It is too bad that NCL has dropped the ball on this. The now-defunct American Hawaii Cruises used to do this itinerary, and had an onboard Kumu teaching the history and customs of the islands, making the itinerary come alive. Lots of Aloha onboard, and my most memorable cruise to date. I can still taste the Maui onion salad dressing. Yum :).

Independence???!!?!?? I use to get chills when the helicopter would fly overhead and drop the flower pedals on us before we sailed....the Kumu and all the history on that old ship made her sooooooo magical! We cruised her 5 times! Yes, she was not all new and spiffy, but I would give my eye teeth to cruise like that again! The "chocolate feast to Pele" after you cruised the mist from the Kilauea lava flow into the sea so close you got rained on!!!!!

We lived on Maunalani Circle,1600 ft above Honolulu (if you look at Wilhelmina Rise, the road that looks like a straight pencil above Diamond Head, we lived at the very top of that Rd). Our home looked down across Honolulu, directly into the Diamond Head crater and across the entire leeward side of the island....LOVED to watch the cruise ships sail in and out. We would often see them sailing in, drive down to the pier and enjoy a meal down there at the pier just to watch the ships sail in and out with the dock right next to us. Again, the islands are MAGICAL and the SPECIAL parts are the ones untouched and yet as majestic as when God made them!!!!!

Edited by Debe7ing

When I did my Hawaiian cruise, I flew RT into Honolulu & picked up the cruise there. The nice thing, I feel, is that to call at a "distant foreign port" we sailed down to Fanning Island, about 1k miles away. At least "back then" (I don't know about now), that cruise itinerary was the weekly supply ship to the people who live on the atol. We were there for 6 hours, if memory serves, and it was a pleasant day.

We did that cruise as well when living in Honolulu....the 2 week NCL cruise to Fanning Island in the Republic of Kiribati. It was magical, and the show the school kids put on there at the port (NCL built that for them to give them the credit deserved) was wonderful. LOVED the cruise for all it offered us. Living in Honoulu, we got a list of what the island folks needed (fishing line, Pedilite for kids that were sick/dehydrated, and the "wants" Doritos chips) and would go to the dock when the ship came in and hand them supplies to take to the island....

OT: It is too bad that NCL has dropped the ball on this. The now-defunct American Hawaii Cruises used to do this itinerary, and had an onboard Kumu teaching the history and customs of the islands, making the itinerary come alive. Lots of Aloha onboard, and my most memorable cruise to date. I can still taste the Maui onion salad dressing. Yum :).

Yes, The American Hawaii Cruises (Independence and I forget...) did a good job but unfortunately had to make the run to a distant port. Did I mention that NCL had to retreat and drop 2 out of the 3 ships! And why they didn't keep the Pride of Aloha for the Hawaiian waters boggled my mind.

I did forget to mention that CD Dave Cole put together a fantastic series of lectures on the King Kamehameha Dynasty and Annexation. He has shared it with other Naturalists on board, but not the same. His passion for the islands really impacted each and every lecture he gave about the islands. This is something you could NOT get from books and tour guides.

I think the OP (Croptop) was wise in opting for the Hawaiian cruise over a partial Canal voyage. The only positive would be the Island or the Coral over a larger ship at a different time. I do hope the cruise with the originators of the Hawaiiana Program. No schedules have been set/announced for the coming season.

Edited by cr8tiv1

We did that cruise as well when living in Honolulu....the 2 week NCL cruise to Fanning Island in the Republic of Kiribati. It was magical, and the show the school kids put on there at the port (NCL built that for them to give them the credit deserved) was wonderful. LOVED the cruise for all it offered us. Living in Honoulu, we got a list of what the island folks needed (fishing line, Pedilite for kids that were sick/dehydrated, and the "wants" Doritos chips) and would go to the dock when the ship came in and hand them supplies to take to the island....

Those were the essence of boat days. Thank you so much for your kokua. Nice to know that you embraced the Aloha of the Aina.

And yes, I am that "old". I even remember traveling the islands on the Matson lines........way, way, way back when. But I was young and didn't really know any better.

Edited by cr8tiv1

Independence???!!?!?? I use to get chills when the helicopter would fly overhead and drop the flower pedals on us before we sailed....the Kumu and all the history on that old ship made her sooooooo magical! We cruised her 5 times! Yes, she was not all new and spiffy, but I would give my eye teeth to cruise like that again! The "chocolate feast to Pele" after you cruised the mist from the Kilauea lava flow into the sea so close you got rained on!!!!!...

OT: Yes, indeed, the S.S. Independence! She was a great old ship, with far more character than most of the newbuilds today. Too bad that AHL went under in the aftermath of 9/11.

How fortunate you are to have lived in such an amazing location near Diamond Head. Yes, Hawaii is truly a magical place, and the OP is smart to do a cruise as a first visit. It provides a great perspective of the 50th state!

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

Those of us that really got to enjoy the magic try to tell those that are seeking the same experience how to get as much of it that is possible these days.....it is not the same, but you CAN enjoy things that others can only imagine if you take our word for it!!!!

Yes, The American Hawaii Cruises (Independence and I forget...) did a good job but unfortunately had to make the run to a distant port

I think the 2nd ship you were thinking of might be the Constitution......does that sound right??? They were both such wonderful ships, so much history, so much love, so much Hawaiian magic aboard both......

Those were the essence of boat days. Thank you so much for your kokua. Nice to know that you embraced the Aloha of the Aina.

And yes, I am that "old". I even remember traveling the islands on the Matson lines........way, way, way back when. But I was young and didn't really know any better.

All the street where we lived in Honlulu were named after Matson ships....so magical for sure!!! Malaho Nui Loa to you as well my friend!!!!!

I thought the OP asked for people's opinions on what they thought was the better option. Once a person gives THEIR opinion well imho there isn't any argument to be had. That is THEIR opinion and if you disagree you can do so but you don't have to attack the person who's view is different than yours.

Personally I just can't understand why anyone would want to eat egg drop/flower soup over wanton soup. The egg drop/flower soup looks like someone blew their nose into a pot of water and cooked it and the slimy feel just make me want to empty my stomach. I would have to he starving before I would eat it and then I am not sure I could. But hey if you like it well you can have my share.

If sea days are not your cup of tea don't take a Hawaiian cruise it might not be good for you. Personally I like them they are relaxing. If you don't want to fly to Hawaii than don't. Me if I had limited vacation I think I would fly to 1 or 2 islands and enjoy more island time than waste it on the open water. It is all on what YOU like. And just because you don't like it doesn't mean someone else wont.

It would just be nice if people could give their opinion on what they like and why then let others decide which is best for them.

I think the 2nd ship you were thinking of might be the Constitution......does that sound right??? They were both such wonderful ships, so much history, so much love, so much Hawaiian magic aboard both......

OT: The SS Independence and SS Constitution were sister ships, originally built for American Export Lines in the early 1950s as transatlantic liners. They were laid up for a time before entering Hawaiian service for American Hawaii Cruises in the 1980s.

The Constitution is perhaps best remembered as the ship that Lucy Ricardo was lowered onto by helicopter on an episode of "I Love Lucy", but also appeared in an episode of "Magnum PI". The Constitution sank off Hawaii while being towed for scrap, and the Independence was scrapped in India :(.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

OT: The SS Independence and SS Constitution were sister ships, originally built for American Export Lines in the early 1950s as transatlantic liners. They were laid up for a time before entering Hawaiian service for American Hawaii Cruises in the 1980s.

The Constitution is perhaps best remembered as the ship that Lucy Ricardo was lowered onto by helicopter on an episode of "I Love Lucy", but also appeared in an episode of "Magnum PI". The Constitution sank off Hawaii while being towed for scrap, and the Independence was scrapped in India :(.

You are so correct, but I PREFER to remember the Independence as the ship that Princess Grace took to Monaco along with the wedding party to marry Prince Reiner. Just such a sweet, sweet history....the number of "celebs" of those days that sailed her are remarkable, Bob Hope and other greats found her captivating.......

You are so correct, but I PREFER to remember the Independence as the ship that Princess Grace took to Monaco along with the wedding party to marry Prince Reiner. Just such a sweet, sweet history....the number of "celebs" of those days that sailed her are remarkable, Bob Hope and other greats found her captivating.......we are so grateful to be able to sail her several times as Kamaʻāina

You are so correct, but I PREFER to remember the Independence as the ship that Princess Grace took to Monaco along with the wedding party to marry Prince Reiner. Just such a sweet, sweet history....the number of "celebs" of those days that sailed her are remarkable, Bob Hope and other greats found her captivating.......we are so grateful to be able to sail her several times as Kamaʻāina

And I am grateful to have sailed on her just once as a haole from the mainland :).

You are correct, it was the Constitution. The picture below shows her being towed through the Panama Canal in her former American Export Lines livery. I took this pic in the mid 70s, she would stay laid up and not join her sister the Independence with American Hawaii Cruises until somewhere around 1982.

2s0n7r7.jpg

We did the American Hawaii cruise around the islands and it was wonderful---

There are mixed reviews of the Pride of America ship experience itself---

The 15 day rt Princess Hawaii cruises ARE very popular as many people enjoy all those sea days and the 5 days on the islands are plenty for them.

So if the o.p. is deciding between the two --Hawaii vs Panama Canal- I was just suggesting that poster make an informed choice, that is all.

I was never suggesting that all the information talks about the islands on Princess line, was not valuable. And that poster did make a valid point about those lectures, which Princess does quite well, jmho--

But I do stand by my facts: If you just want to do all the islands in Hawaii and that is your main focus, the I think I would give NCL a try for that. If you enjoy all those sea days and don't mind having 2 less days on the islands themselves, the Princess is certainly the way to go.

• 7 months later...

Just got off the Ruby on 1/2/16, rt L.A. to Hawaii. If your main objective is to escape the winter cold and enjoy warm tropical seas, forget about S.F. to Hawaii.

The weather from Los Angeles was cool to cold and heavily overcast almost completely in both directions. One afternoon we had a couple of hours of clear sunshine. The seas were moderate, 8.5-12, the whole time both ways. However, the winds were relentless and up to 40kts at times.

Hilo will be warm and wet. Kauai most likely will be cool, windy, and wet. The weather in Honolulu and Lahaina will be warm. Sunny or showery to be determined.

You'll have to stop in Ensenada which is a garbage pit and then slug it out up swell to S.F. in most likely cold rainy weather which will be no picnic either.

Old Town in Cartegena is a beautiful place to walk around and shop or take pictures. Limon is a small port but it has a charm of its own and is warm and friendly. The weather down there will be to your liking EVERY day.

Like some said earlier, the best option if possible is a full transit between Ft. Lauderdale & Los Angeles preferably on the Coral Princess. It was so much fun, we did it over the Holidays 2 consecutive years. Whatever you choose, wish you smooth seas and sunny skies.