Shopping on a Budget in the Bahamas

OrlandoMom

My family is going on our very first cruise in 3 days! We're going to Nassau & then Coco Cay in the Bahamas. My daughter & I are interested in doing a little shopping while there (sarongs, hats, hair braiding, etc.) but we're on a VERY tight budget right now.

Can anyone give me any idea of about how far a U.S. dollar goes in the Bahamas? Are there real bargains to be had? ANY info you could give me on the general costs of things compared to back home, specific stores/places, or tips on how/when to haggle or shop would be appreciated.

Thanks SO much!! :D

Orlando Mom

Generally speaking the bahamas is about 1 and 1/2 times MORE expensive than the states, even more expensive the NY and LA. But items imported from Europe, such as designer clothers, jewelrly perfume etc are duty free. Especially liquor. Know your prices at home. My favorite perfume is about $11 cheaper in Nassau plus I don't pay tax. Souveniers like wraps, t shirts and caps are available from the straw vendors. You'll also find shell jewelry etc for under $10. Haggle as much as you like, the vendors are used to it.

In a more upscale shop, a simple phrase like, can you give me a better price would suffice. You can see if then go for the haggle without being tacky.

Generally speaking the bahamas is about 1 and 1/2 times MORE expensive than the states, even more expensive the NY and LA.

Wow, I had NO idea! Thanks so much for letting me know that. Since it's September already & "summer" clothes are becoming more difficult to find here, I thought I'd make my casual cruise clothing purchases there. AND, silly me, I thought I would even be saving money by getting it there. Now I'll get stuff here before leaving. I really appreciate your taking the time to let me know that!

Know your prices at home. My favorite perfume is about $11 cheaper in Nassau plus I don't pay tax.

That's another great thing to know. I'll check the current price of my favorite perfume before I go. Thanks, scubagirrl!

on our recent cruise to Nassau the "shopping expert" on our ship told us never pay the first price, pay the third. Even in the upscale shops. Ask for a lower price of the tagged price, then counter the offer, then ask for the managers price.

She claims it works every time.

My experience in the Straw market was similar.....we found Burberry bags that my daughters wanted. They started at $65.00 I offered $40.00 they came back with $50.00 and I then said no more than $45.00. I knew I could get them at the flea market back home for $45.00 so I agreed on $45.00. My girls were so excited and they thought it was cool to go back and forth on the prices. Also, walk away when they don't want to lower the price, they will practically follow you to make the sale.

Have fun ! ! !

dondonma

on our recent cruise to Nassau the "shopping expert" on our ship told us never pay the first price, pay the third. Even in the upscale shops. Ask for a lower price of the tagged price, then counter the offer, then ask for the managers price.

That's a good bit of advice to be aware of. I'm definitely not a haggler but will give it the ole college try! If you hadn't said that the cruise ship's shopping expert said to do that, I would've never thought seriously about haggling! Thanks for the tip!

...walk away when they don't want to lower the price, they will practically follow you to make the sale.

I'm SUCH a big weanie about haggling! This gives me a little more courage...

The straw market in the Bahamas is a wonderful place for bargains. Be careful to shop and compare there. Not all "bargains" are what they appear.

On our website we cover the fine art of haggling. Most Americans are really un-comfortable with it.

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

• 1 month later...

I'm going to the Bahamas on my first cruise next month (Carnival Liberty - Nov. 10) and my mother and I are really looking forward to the straw market. She's really not even that interested in the beach or other shops -- I showed her pics on the Bahamas tourism site, and that's what she wants to do.

Anyway, the experience I've had with haggling was in Matamoros, Mexico, on two trips in high school. I don't know if it's similar in Nassau, but I got some great deals in Matamoros. At one shop, I was looking at a woven jacket priced at $50 that I actually didn't want. I told the vendor no thank you and started walking out, but he practically dragged me back in the store and went down to $10!!!

I'm not really interested in a straw bag, but I'd like to have some native handicrafts. Do they have hand-carved wood items? What kind of jewelry is there?

Perfume/cologne can be a lot cheaper....but know your home town price and size to compare and also remember there is no sales tax so the price you see is the price you pay where at home you'd add on another 6-7%.

Cosmetics can be cheaper but again, know what you pay at home. Some brands such as Clinique, Lancome, etc. have duty free store special boxed sets with two or more items in them and they can be bargains compared to back home being purchased separately.

Do your purchasing in Nassau. There are some shopping "huts" at Coco Cay but the prices are much higher than Nassau and it's mostly the same stuff. There are a few things with Coco Cay printed on them that you can't get in Nassau, but that's about it. The straw market in Nassau has a lot of 4 T-shirts for $10 deals; prior advice given above on bargaining is right on point.

Liquor is cheaper than the U.S. but we found the prices on the ship cheaper this time.

BobK/Orlando

Too bad we're not going to Grand Cayman this time...

Our home was burglarized a few weeks ago, and all my heirloom jewelry was stolen! The insurance co. is letting us "cash-out" on the jewelry, so now I'll need to buy some. I'm thinking I should buy something on our trip so it will be "special", even though it cannot replace the sentimental value of what we've lost. :(

Anyway, where is a good place to buy jewelry in Nassau? We are not "big" spenders. I'm thinking small gold items such as necklace, earrings, maybe a ring. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

C

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from Nassau, and the tanzanite is beautiful, plentiful and very inexpensive. If you are interested in tanzanite pieces, don't forget to check out some of the jewelry shops on Bay Street.

I ended up buying my piece on the ship, however, because they could give me a better price. It's worth doing some homework in advance to see what they go for here before buying there, but we got a good deal.

Archived