Crown Princess for Alaska 2016?

jormot

We are looking a R/T Seattle cruise to Alaska in May 2016. Our options are the Westerdam and Crown Princess. We have not cruised either line. We are leaning towards the Crown, however, it is hard to find reviews on this ship. What are your thoughts on this ship for Alaska? Is it too big? Is it a good ship overall? Are we better off looking more closely at the Westerdam? The only positive to the Westerdam is a stop in Sitka. Thanks for any and all advice. We are cruising newbies and have been contimplating Alaska for a few years now and might actually pull the trigger!

It is just the two of us and we want a balcony cabin. We have only been on one cruise so it's hard to speak of what we are looking for. We do like good food and a clean ship.

The Crown is a very nice ship, although she's pretty big (my preference is always for smaller ships), carrying 3000 to Westerdam's 2000. She has some lovely public rooms and the crew on Princess is always very pleasant. Fresh-water pools, although none of them are indoor, which is possibly problematic on an Alaska cruise. I've sailed her twice and thoroughly enjoyed being onboard.

That said, I'd go with the Westerdam because she goes to Sitka. On a cruise like Alaska (or any non-Caribbean, beach-oriented type of itinerary, really), the ports are the centerpiece. Princess doesn't go to Sitka, but by all accounts, it's well-worth seeing.

Both Princess and HAL have excellent reputations for Alaska cruising; you can't go wrong on either one. So, I'd pick by itinerary. Meaning, enjoy your cruise on the Westerdam !