Can I use a Visa Check Card?

Schmellody

We are a party of 13 cruising on the Grandeur of the Seas out of New Orleans (don't get me started) on January 7, 2006. One of our party (a cruise "virgin") would like to use their checking account debit card (with the visa guarantee logo) to activate their cruise account. Has anyone done this before? I always use a credit card. What about daily limits? Most banks have a $500 (or something close to that) daily limit so when they try to submit for payment at the end, it would be denied if over that amount. Any suggestions? :confused:

Tell your friend not to do it. If you use a debit card they immediatley tie up a certain amount of money. There have been many problems with using debit cards. Additionally, they stop the usuage of the card after a certain amount of money and you are inconvienienced by having to go to guest relations. If at all possible I would recommend a credit card. At least you can get your money back if something goes wrong.

I totally agree with the last post. Don't do it. I did it on one cruise, and it was a major mistake. I had charges on the card (which I didn't make) when I got home and was overdrawn. I had to call RCI and get everything straightened out. Apparently they put some kind of charge on your card when you first board and then take it off at a later date. Kind of like a deposit. A regular credit card is much, much easier.

Used one on the Jewel last November and not one problem. No Holds, no additional charges, no limits imposed. Treated just like a Visa credit card.

To ease your concerns call guest relations and they will explain it to you.

Archived