Procedures at the port

WEBWCRUISIN

We will be arriving at the port by taxi, and just wanted to know what to do from there, as I'm sure with all the people coming in, it may be mass confusion.:eek: Will there be someone at the drop-off to take our bags, because even if they expect a tip, that is A-o.k. with me. the sooner I get rid of them the better. But do they then follow us to the check-in line, or do they take them right on the ship. If they bring them to the check-in line, then do they take them from there, or are we lugging them to a security checkpoint. One reason I'm asking is it may determine how many bags we bring. At the airports there is always someone there to take them off your hands for a few bucks which is money well spent.:D I can get our stuff in fewer bags, but it's always nice to have some extra room for souvenirs.;) Plus I wanted to maybe pick up a case of pepsi (they only have Coke--yuk!) and a case of bottled water.

Any input would be appreciated. Last time was just the DW and I but this time it's the whole crew:eek:

There are people waiting to wisk your bags away at curbside. Be sure they are tagged before you get there. You won't see them again until you get to your room. The bags go one direction, you go to check-in. Cruise lines don't restrict number of bags as the airlines do.

My mother and 5 sisters and I went on a cruise in April. Some of us were going through our bags at the curb. You will want your suit if you want to go to the pool.

It really isn't that bad when you get to the ship. You get your bags out of the taxi, place them on the curb and then porters will usually fight to be the one to you to take them from you. :) An average tip is $1 per bag. VERY similar situation to the airport. We usually do 4 for $5 because one is always heavy. They load them on these carts.... http://public.fotki.com/bobbie0253/coming_soonjewel_of/03830019.html

and then you follow the signs... http://public.fotki.com/bobbie0253/coming_soonmajesty/dsc_2242.html

to the ship..... http://public.fotki.com/bobbie0253/coming_soonmajesty/dsc_2244.html

Going through the metal detectors seems to take the longest out of the entire process of checking in.

It's pretty simple.

Bring a small rolling suitcase as a carry on for the plane and ship with dinner clothes, swimsuits, toothbrush, and anything you would not be able to cruise without if you luggage is lost or delayed. Plan on not having your luggage by dinner and you won't be dissapointed if it takes until 1am to get it.

Leaving the ship is usually the part where it is crazy. I suggest getting a porter if the porter line for customs is shorter. Each port is different. What port are you sailing out of?

Embarking is really nothing to worry about. RCCL was mush better at it than Princess from what I have seen.

Have agreat cruise and if you have any other questions, ask away! That's what we are here for.... :)

Bobbie

Archived