Is The Haven worth it?

ahamill

My next cruise in the Aft Haven includes drinks,specialty restaurants, tips and $300 OBC for less than the cost of the cruise we just left on the Breakaway. I've cruised the "upper crust" lines and do not care for the atmosphere on board these ships.

After sailing in The Haven once on Breakaway, we now *only* book suites (Non-Haven only if the ship is not equipped with one). To me, it is worth it. The people in there are much friendlier and down to earth compared to the luxury lines. No "my money is better than yours" pandering in The Haven.

Oceania is not a true luxury line. I would rather go on a luxury line then a Haven room. Drinks will be included and the food is way better! The service is amazing. I've never been bored either.

We are not allowed to link to TA sites, so I'll just list the essence what one site listed:

Casual Luxury Lines

..Azamara

..Oceania

..Windstar

..Paul Gauguin

Luxury Lines

..Crystal

..Cunard

Ultra-luxury Lines

..Regent

..Seabourn

..Seadream Yacht Club

..Silversea

My feeling is if I am going to spend the same amount of money as it cost to go on a true luxury line I would rather go on the luxury line.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

We've priced cruises on RSSC , Seabourn, Oceania, Crystal and Silverseas and all of them are much more expensive than the Haven. In fact on several of those lines the cost for a low category cabin would still be nearly double the cost of the Haven.

If you want a bargain, then go for the MSC Yacht Club. We paid several thousand less for a YC cabin than what we are paying for the Haven on our next NCL cruise. MSC includes all the beverages in the YC, and you don't have to pay extra for a specialty restaurant since the Yacht Club guest eat in a private dining room that is on a par with the specialty restaurants on the other lines.

We have sailed in the Haven twice, both on Transatlantics, and it was amazing, but as others have mentioned, I'm not sure you would get all of the benefits on a cruise where you are spending most of the time in ports.

On a trip where we will spend a lot of time in the room - like a repo cruise - I would consider it strongly. On port cruises, I would just get a balcony and pocket the savings for another cruise.

We upgraded to the Garden Villa on the Gem in March just the two of us. I have no idea how we will beat that I'll be scared to sail again. Out of this world worth every penny we were celebrating 2 milestones in our lives didn't need any gifts so did this I'm still in awe at the how they looked after us, Truly amazing experience hopefully one day we will be able to repeat the experience.

SO addicted to the suite life! Once you sail suite you are spoiled and never want anything less (so says my DH).

Isn't that the truth? We booked a suite on our latest Summit cruise and have the Haven booked on Getaway in November. Hard to go back to "only" a balcony. [emoji6]

We are not allowed to link to TA sites, so I'll just list the essence what one site listed:

Casual Luxury Lines

..Azamara

..Oceania

..Windstar

..Paul Gauguin

Luxury Lines

..Crystal

..Cunard

Ultra-luxury Lines

..Regent

..Seabourn

..Seadream Yacht Club

..Silversea

And if a TA posted it, then it must be correct. These boards are getting ridiculous.

And if a TA posted it, then it must be correct. These boards are getting ridiculous.

Don't make that assumption, rxlowry.

I posted it because it was relevant to the conversation. While it might not be totally correct, it's probably a decent barometer of those cruise lines. I've not sailed on a single one listed, so I can't tell you one way or another. I do find it odd that you show disdain for my post which somewhat supported your theory (Oceania is in the lowest tier of luxury in what I posted).

...sorry my trying to be helpful was so offensive to you.

Edited by Kingofwylietx

I confess I have been thinking about Haven but wanting a West Coast U.S. embarkation and/or disembarkation, preferably not Alaska.

We've but one cruise (Regent last January) behind us and three more on the horizon aboard Silversea and Seabourn.

Sometimes convenience counts for a lot, especially as age creeps ever upward.

Edited by OctoberKat

I find it just strange that you would be so quick to post that, Kingofwylietx when you were not the poster who claimed Oceania to be luxury. They are not an accurate line to use when comparing the Haven to luxury which was my point. The other fact is that unless you have sailed on both how can you truly answer this question?

You may want to price the MSC Yacht Club in addition to pricing the Haven. I have stayed in both venues and, while both are great experiences, the Yacht Club was slightly better. The price difference on our recent Med. cruise was substantial. We saved about $2,000 booking the Yacht Club compared to the Haven, and had more choices with MSC as the Med. is their main area of operations.

I find it just strange that you would be so quick to post that, Kingofwylietx when you were not the poster who claimed Oceania to be luxury. They are not an accurate line to use when comparing the Haven to luxury which was my point. The other fact is that unless you have sailed on both how can you truly answer this question?

I was quick to post it because I have been researching some of the cruise lines on that list. I came across that during my research.

What is this other fact you speak of? I have never sailed on Regent or Carnival. However, I feel quite comfortable telling you that Regent is much more luxurious than Carnival. By your logic, I can't truly make that statement.

Again, what I posted supported your assertion. I have no more time for you.

Would someone be kind enough to post the instructions on how to ignore someone on this forum? I know that I've seen it posted somewhere

It is definitely worth (to us) to pay the additional cost for a suite. We especially love the Owners Suites on deck 10 (most ships).

However, we wouldn't pay extra just for the Haven area. We seldom use it even when it's available with our suite.

Guess I've been ignored by making my opinion. I just feel that unless one has experience both the Haven and true luxury lines the answer to the question "Is the Haven worth it?" cannot be truly answered.

Guess I've been ignored by making my opinion. I just feel that unless one has experience both the Haven and true luxury lines the answer to the question "Is the Haven worth it?" cannot be truly answered.

Not ignoring you....I am not sure those mentioned are true luxury lines. Frankly it seems more in the perception of the person cruising on them. We did not feel the value was there. IE Silversea...which the Silver Shadow flunked its health inspection for the second time. We spent a ton of money on that one time. The perceived elitism is about all there was and again that was not how we felt, but some do.

Seaborn had very good food as well as Oceania...however for a large ship like the Breakaway The Haven to me is a very good value.

I think it is all about getting what you pay for and the cost per day per person.

See you are not being ignored.

I cruised four times with Regent. Your cost includes Airfare, transfers from airport to ship and return, shore excursions, tips, no charge dining in all restaurants, ALL beverages and they will deliver two bottles of liquor to your stateroom and free refills as requested.

You do the math.

Tourguide

I cruised four times with Regent. Your cost includes Airfare, transfers from airport to ship and return, shore excursions, tips, no charge dining in all restaurants, ALL beverages and they will deliver two bottles of liquor to your stateroom and free refills as requested.

You do the math.

Tourguide

Having sailed with Regent, I am aware of what is included. I checked a 7 day alaska cruise..here were all the fares

With the lowest fare being $5,999 and that is not a balcony, times two which is over $12,000, plus port taxes. The "free air" does not fly out of the airport I fly out of, so there would be an added charge. I am not sure if they have a charge for air deviation or not.

We have The drink package, dining package, OBC and something else that I am to lazy to check...for FOUR people in a 2 bedroom haven suite for $7800. Additionally it would not be comfortable to put four people in one room. It is all relative..it is easy to look at the base price, but there are additional charges. Regent is a very nice cruise line, but when you look at the entry level rooms...they are rooms, not suites..no butler, etc...then IMHO I respectfully disagree. However, what is the point? Just go on the ship you want and be happy!

WAIT LIST 301 / 28 5

DELUXE WINDOW SUITE - G $13,998 $5,999 GUARANTEED 301 / 28 6

DELUXE VERANDA SUITE - F $15,798 $6,899 WAIT LIST 356 / 33 8,9

DELUXE VERANDA SUITE - E $16,598 $7,299 AVAILABLE 356 / 33 6,7

CONCIERGE SUITE - D $17,398 $7,699 AVAILABLE 356 / 33 8 •

PENTHOUSE SUITE - C $17,998 $7,999 AVAILABLE 356 / 33 9 • •

PENTHOUSE SUITE - B $18,398 $8,199 AVAILABLE 356 / 33 10 • •

PENTHOUSE SUITE - A $18,798 $8,399 AVAILABLE 356 / 33 10,11 • •

NAVIGATOR SUITE - NS $22,598 $10,299 WAIT LIST 495 / 46 9,11 • •

GRAND SUITE - GS $29,598 $13,799 AVAILABLE 687 - 739 / 56.5 - 69 7,8 • •

MASTER SUITE - MS $35,998 $16,999 WAIT LIST 1,173 / 109 9,10 • •

93% of the suites have a balcony.

They are not true suites. You have to get up to the top of the price list to get a room that has a separate bedroom. Just like the basic penthouse suites in the Haven, they are not suites in my opinion.

Tried the "haven/suite experience" and to be truthful I enjoyed the extras. But I would not do it again. In fact, there were times when I missed the basic balcony cabin.

No right or wrong answer to this one. There's no harm in trying and suite and see if it's right for you.

Whatever you decide have a great cruise:)