Is The Haven worth it?

ahamill

Tried the "haven/suite experience" and to be truthful I enjoyed the extras. But I would not do it again. In fact, there were times when I missed the basic balcony cabin.

No right or wrong answer to this one. There's no harm in trying and suite and see if it's right for you.

Whatever you decide have a great cruise:)

Just curious, what did you miss about the basic balcony? I don't think I've ever read that statement before on here (and I mean absolutely no disrespect with the question).

Just curious, what did you miss about the basic balcony? I don't think I've ever read that statement before on here (and I mean absolutely no disrespect with the question).

We missed the "coziness" I guess and find the basic balcony to be more private. I have more fun having a drink and watching everything that goes happens on the pool deck then tucked away in the privacy of the Haven. But that's just me:)

We are looking at booking a Mediterranean Cruise on the Epic in July and are looking at either a mini-suite or the penthouse suite in The Haven. Obviously, the price difference is significance ($2500'ish for the mini-suite and $5000 for The Haven). We are celebrating our 15th wedding anniversary and my 40th birthday and we want a special trip but I need to know that it is worth it.

I was hoping that the beverage package was part of the bonuses (you know, book a Haven suite and get all 3 perks) but it looks like it's just OBC, shore excursion and internet. We enjoy our cocktails so the drink package might have made it seem like a no-brainer.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Many thanks!

I'll be sailing in the Haven in Jan 16 for the first time. But, over the years, we have sailed on Oceania, Regents, and Celebrity in suites with Butlers on port intensive cruises to the Med. While those ships did not have a private area like the Haven, it was the Butlers which made all the difference! After a long day exploring we would come back to canapés to take the edge off before dinner. If we were that exhausted, we'd order diner in our room and have dinner served there before crashing--and it wasn't off an in room limited menu. If we wanted a drink before dinner, poof, it was there. If we wanted a night cap, poof it was there. On one cruise, I got so sick I couldn't lift my head. DH, DMIL, and DA still were able to go on the shore excursion while I stayed in the room. Every hour or so the butler would lightly tap, come in, make sure I had water and was doing okay. He even brought me cool wash cloths for my face. If I needed anything, all I needed to do was ask. Yes, it's well worth the difference--at least to me it is!

They are not true suites. You have to get up to the top of the price list to get a room that has a separate bedroom. Just like the basic penthouse suites in the Haven, they are not suites in my opinion.

The cheapest suites on the Breakaway are real suites since they have a separate bathroom. We had a forward penthouse on deck 9.

I know that the cheapest "suites" located within the Haven aren't real suites.

Guess I've been ignored by making my opinion. I just feel that unless one has experience both the Haven and true luxury lines the answer to the question "Is the Haven worth it?" cannot be truly answered.

I know some things I want:

Lots of choices for dinner, true luxury lines don't give that.

Anonymity sometimes and a more personal service sometimes, true luxury lines don't give that.

A possibility to book one of the most expensive cabins on the ship, true luxury lines normally don't give me that possibility.

Round trip. Most true luxury lines offer very few round trip cruises. (Embarkation and debarkation are in different ports.)

I have been reading this thread with interest - many different views, opinions and backgrounds. The discussion has morphed into "what is luxury"?

There are actually about three different aspects to the original question - "is the Haven worth it"? As some have mentioned, your own personal finances can certainly influence your response in any number of different directions.

The "luxury" question is equally difficult as we all have very different ideas of the word "luxury". When we sailed on the L'Austral two years ago, the cheapest non-balcony cabin per couple inclusive of wine and beer but not spirits was about $1000 a day. I was gobsmacked when my partner asked one day: "what's so luxurious about this?" I pointed out that there were only 200 fellow passengers, gorgeous beds and linens, fantastic toiletries and the best pastries that we have ever had. He ultimately went with the view that only Ponant does an all-Adriatic itinerary in the islands and coves and that made it "special".

Three weeks ago on Breakaway on a rainy day at sea, there were six (!) of us reading quietly under the dome in the Haven. For me, that was total luxury.

So, we've covered money, itineraries and touched on what is "luxury".

We move onto what do you really want out of a cruise overall? For us, no-one comes even close to the amount of live entertainment that NCL offers. I can wander about the Breakway Class ships and encounter blues singers, dueling pianos, Second City, a Spiegel tent, vocalists in the martini bar and the cigar lounge and acts in the Atrium.

The aforementioned "luxury ships" can't come close to offering this. It's not what they're about.

What the Haven does for me is it still let's me go "downtown" in the evenings but let's me spend my days in the "countryside" with luxurious (oops - there's that word again!) accommodations, truly personalized service where the staff address me by name in a unique environment. It truly lives up to being "a ship within a ship".

Edited by Dr. Cocktail

The cheapest suites on the Breakaway are real suites since they have a separate bathroom. We had a forward penthouse on deck 9.

I know that the cheapest "suites" located within the Haven aren't real suites.

Of course I meant separate bedroom!!!

Edited by sverigecruiser

I have been reading this thread with interest - many different views, opinions and backgrounds. The discussion has morphed into "what is luxury"?

There are actually about three different aspects to the original question - "is the Haven worth it"? As some have mentioned, your own personal finances can certainly influence your response in any number of different directions.

The "luxury" question is equally difficult as we all have very different ideas of the word "luxury". When we sailed on the L'Austral two years ago, the cheapest non-balcony cabin per couple inclusive of wine and beer but not spirits was about $1000 a day. I was gobsmacked when my partner asked one day: "what's so luxurious about this?" I pointed out that there were only 200 fellow passengers, gorgeous beds and linens, fantastic toiletries and the best pastries that we have ever had. He ultimately went with the view that only Ponant does an all-Adriatic itinerary in the islands and coves and that made it "special".

Three weeks ago on Breakaway on a rainy day at sea, there were six (!) of us reading quietly under the dome in the Haven. For me, that was total luxury.

We move onto what do you really want out of a cruise overall? For us, no-one comes even close to the amount of live entertainment that NCL offers. I can wander about the Breakway Class ships and encounter blues singers, dueling pianos, Second City, a Spiegel tent, vocalists in the martini bar and the cigar lounge and acts in the Atrium.

The aforementioned "luxury ships" can't come close to offering this. It's not what they're about.

What the Haven does for me is it still let's me go "downtown" in the evenings but let's me spend my days in the "countryside" with luxurious (oops - there's that word again!) accommodations, truly personalized service where the staff address me by name in a unique environment. It truly lives up to being "a ship within a ship".

You made some nice analogies and some valid points.

Luxury is relative to each individual's experiences and knowledge. There are definitely industry standards, which define a luxury cruise. But, in the end, people will define their own sense of luxury. Good post.

Thanks for your comments .... it's nice to have an occasional civil discourse on these boards!

My partner and I are slightly on the wrong side of 50 and for us, the Haven provides the best bang for buck out there.

With all the negativity on these boards lately, I would urge people to go to the buffet on RCI or see a show on Oceania or have dinner at a $45 cover per person on Celebrity. I have done all of these in the last two years and NCL and the Haven surpasses them all.

We were on the epic in March '15 in a 2 bedroom villa 16003. We had 5 people ranging in age from 9 to 89. It was definitely worth the extra price for us since we were traveling with kids and seniors. Our favorites were haven restaurant and the pool area. We ate breakfast everyday in the Haven restaurant and found the food and service to be superb. We walked through the buffet breakfast one morning and it's complete chaos compared to the Haven restaurant. On our stop in Grand Cayman it was sunny and super hot and when we got back from our tour there was about 1000 people in line (no shade) for the tenders. Our 89 year old wouldn't be able to wait in the line. Our concierge told us to come to the front of the line when we returned and he was waiting for us and put us on the next tender. We had a few mechanical issues in our room but they would be taken care of the the same day when we let the staff know. The only concern I had about the haven pool area is that most parents are sunbathing or sleeping and not watching their kids and there is no staff to monitor pool safety. Given the opportunity, I would definitely go on the epic in the haven again.

I tried the suite life once and enjoyed it. Breakfast and lunch at Cagney's and priority embarkation/ disembarkation were nice. The concierge and butler were nothing special. I personally do not think it's worth it to book a suite unless you can get a really good deal. Like many others on this thread, I'd rather go on two cruises. We're doing it again next year because some of the specials NCL has been having lately make it more than worthwhile.

I tried the suite life once and enjoyed it. Breakfast and lunch at Cagney's and priority embarkation/ disembarkation were nice. The concierge and butler were nothing special. I personally do not think it's worth it to book a suite unless you can get a really good deal. Like many others on this thread, I'd rather go on two cruises. We're doing it again next year because some of the specials NCL has been having lately make it more than worthwhile.

I am of a similar mindset. I go on cruises to enjoy the ports, people, food, service,relaxation, and crew. I don't like to be pampered and don't require special treatment. An inside cabin for three weeks for the same money as a suite for one week is much better allocation of my resources.

To each his own !!!

Edited by swedish weave

We only do the cheapest cabins as we prefer multiple vacations versus expensive one shot deals

We do not want the pricey cabins but if you can afford them and want them then do it

I am of the mind that travel is an expense right up there with food clothing education and shelter so its going to happen for us on a regular basis

But just like I don't live in or want to live in a mansion and our home is perfect for us..... The insides are also perfect for us.....and we get off at the same ports that haven guests do. Lol

We don't need pampering and a butler would be an intrusion for us

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

• 4 weeks later...

Very very well said. If you can afford it why not enjoy Haven. If it means one vacation over 2 then maybe look a little closer at it. I am looking forward to our first Haven experience next year.

Dont do it, run away its a big scam.

They take your money, pamper you for a week and then set you back free in the world.

So what am i supposed to do now, stay in a regular cabin.

Its like crack, one hit and your an addict for life.

But it is so so awesome, could not imagine going back to a regular cabin now, I would rather cruise less and do it in the Haven.

So frickin good

We have a 2 room family villa booked on the Breakaway in October and this is what we are totally afraid of, lol. We cruise with our 2 kids (5 and 7), and we fear that we will be ruining them for life;)

Our first NCL cruise was the Epic Med cruise 2 years ago. We had a regular balcony cabin and enjoyed every minute of it. We were off the ship a majority of the time, so I don't know that the Haven would have been of benefit (at the time, we didn't know anything about the Haven). Our next NCL cruise was Breakaway to Bermuda last year. We booked an aft penthouse and absolutely loved it and the Haven experience. I don't think we would have enjoyed the cruise as much if we didn't have the ability to escape to the Haven. The ship, particularly the outside pool area, was packed like sardines. After a POA cruise this past May (in a suite, but they do not have a Haven), we are booked again on Breakaway in March in a Haven suite.

Knowing what I know now, if money isn't a factor, I'd go for the Haven suite on the Epic. But if you don't, you won't miss it so much since the itinerary is so port intensive.

Just be warned, as others have posted, once you go Haven, you can't go back :D