SW credit question--when can I fly?

LibrarianBecky

I have a substantial credit on Southwest from a cancelled flight earlier in the year. The credit expires on November 10, 2015 (date of original flight booking). My question is do I have to complete my travel on November 9 to use this credit, or can I travel on November 10?

I spoke with someone at SW tonight and asked this question, and the rep told me that I should use my credit by November 9 "just to be safe." It did not sound to me like he was sure on the policy, so I asked if he could double check the policy for me. He then just repeated what he said before, that I needed to use it November 9th, just to be safe.

My travel plans would allow me to come back either November 9 or 10. I would prefer to come back Nov 10, giving me one more day of vacation. However, I didn't want to argue with this guy, so I booked my return flight for Nov 9, figuring that with SW I can always change it as long as flights are available.

The fine print on my ticket confirmation says:

All travel involving funds from this Confirmation Number must be completed by the expiration date. (November 10, 2015)

Anyone know if I can travel on my credit on November 10 (travel would be completed by 2:30 pm on November 10, if that matters)? Should I just call SW back and see if I can get someone willing to check for me?

Thanks!

Good idea, but no dice. It gives me a message that says that due to modifications with my reservations, I can't make changes online. I'll just have to call again and see if I can find someone who knows the policy. Thanks for the help!

Good idea, but no dice. It gives me a message that says that due to modifications with my reservations, I can't make changes online.

This is confusing as one can make modifications to reservation of tickets already purchased online. However, to answer your original question:

Southwest LUV Vouchers must be redeemed and all travel completed by the expiration date indicated.
https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/purchasing-and-refunds/fop-pol.html

But, note that it was once possible (not sure if it still exists) to pay to extend one's credit for another 6 months beyond its 1-year time period.

Edited by parody