Wine Shop - St. Martin

bmckim

I have heard that wine in St. Martin (particularly French Wine) is at a good price in St. Martin because they have to sell it at the same price they do in France.

Where is a good place to buy french wine in St. Martin/Marigot?

This is the first time that I've heard "because they have to sell it at the same price they do in France" mentioned, and not sure that they do, but it appears that wine prices on French (and other) wine are very good, especially on more expensive choices.

What range of wine are you looking for? Premium, ultra-premium, Vin de pays?

How much are you considering for purchase?

Will you have a car or taxi or just walking? There are good wine shops on the Dutch side without having to venture over to the French side.

gary

I probably am looking for more premium wine, to make it worth my while. Thinking in the realm of Chateauneuf-du-pape. Thinking of buying up to a case or two, but will probably get a variety, including some vin de pays, as sometimes they can be the best wines/value.

I will probably have a private tour driver, driving us around for the day, so holding onto it and transportation back to the ship shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for your help!

Wow! A case or two? Can I ask how you're getting it back to Albany? :)

As you'll have a driver, to start with I'll point you to four different spots around the island. Discussion welcome.

th_wine%20shops.jpg

(click)

Le Grand Marche is a large supermarket just outside of Philipsburg with an extensive selection of wines from around the world. Dutch side. French Wines.

Select Wine Cellars is a wine shop in Cole Bay. Dutch side. Wine List. Coupon.

Le Gout du Vin is a shop in downtown Marigot. French Brands carried. French side.

Bacchus is a shop/deli-restaurant (lunch only) in Hope Estate, between Grand Case and Orient Bay. They say they have 80,000 cases. French side.

Full disclosure: Most of the wine that we buy on-island is from Grand Marche and not very expensive (they have three other locations on the island).

We have attended a wine tasting at Select with friends and were impressed. They have an $11,000 bottle of Lafite on their list.

We have walked past Le Gout du Vin, but they were closed. Parking near them is a real problem.

We have never been into Bacchus, but they get rave reviews for their restaurant and their wine selection.

gary

Wow! A case or two? Can I ask how you're getting it back to Albany? :)

Wow. That is incredibly helpful. Thank you so much. As for getting it back to New York, Depending on how much we get, it will either go in the suitcases (well packed of course) or we will be stopping at a FedexOffice on the way to the airport to ship it back. I checked the price, and it is only about $35-$40 to ship it back through my fedex acct. If the wine is cheap enough, then the shipping averages to about $3 a bottle. Well worth it for cheap good wine you can't get in the states.

Since you sound sincerely interested in this Quest, I dug out some wine lists for you to see what has been available on the island.

IDS has two .pdf's, here and here.

An island friend reminded me about Booze It Up, which I've never visited, even though it's conveniently located in Simpson Bay, but they have a couple interesting wine lists here and here.

gary

Wow thanks so much. Booze it up's lists look really interesting, particularly the exculsives. That was really what I was looking for. It wasn't so much about price, more so getting wines that I can't usually find in the states.

Thanks so much for your help. I only now need to convince my wife that it is a good idea to buy a 3l bottle of wine!

• 3 weeks later...
Wow. That is incredibly helpful. Thank you so much. As for getting it back to New York, Depending on how much we get, it will either go in the suitcases (well packed of course) or we will be stopping at a FedexOffice on the way to the airport to ship it back. I checked the price, and it is only about $35-$40 to ship it back through my fedex acct. If the wine is cheap enough, then the shipping averages to about $3 a bottle. Well worth it for cheap good wine you can't get in the states.

This is very interesting to me. We are only allowed to bring a limited amount of alcohol to Canada even if you ship it. Are you certain that you are allowed to ship a carton of 12 bottles of wine to your house in the US without paying duty or customs and simply just pay for the shipping itself? I think our limit is very low like 2 - 26 ounce bottles.

I grew up 20 minutes from a US border and people would have bought their booze for parties and weddings in the states as it was 50% cheaper and just had it shipped if this was permitted in Canada. Duty was much more expensive than shipping costs only.

Thanks for any info that you can provide.:)

Great question karysa.

Customs and Border Protection says that duty will be collected on the entire shipment -- no duty exemption.

How do I import alcohol for my personal use?

Shipping alcoholic beverages by mail is prohibited by U.S. postal laws. The importer must be 21 to bring alcoholic beverages into the United States.

Shipping alcoholic beverages through a courier is permitted, however, duty will be collected on the entire shipment (there is no duty exemption for alcohol not accompanying a traveler), and the courier will probably charge handling and Customs Broker fees that could significantly raise the cost of the shipment.

Please be aware that State ABC laws govern how much alcohol a person may import into their state without a license and those laws are enforced by CBP. You must check with the state ABC board where your shipment will enter the country to determine their limits.

(there's more there)

gary

p.s. the post does have me thinking about that $40 for shipping, though. That sure sounds cheap.

This is very interesting to me. We are only allowed to bring a limited amount of alcohol to Canada even if you ship it. Are you certain that you are allowed to ship a carton of 12 bottles of wine to your house in the US without paying duty or customs and simply just pay for the shipping itself? I think our limit is very low like 2 - 26 ounce bottles.

I never said I wouldn't be subject to duty. But Duty on wine is very inexpensive even if I had to pay it, but in my experience, more often than not CBP does not make you pay duty, but YMMV, especially as a non-american. My intention is to bring it back, and once we get off the ship, between the port and the airport go to the fedex office and ship it back, that way yoiu don't have to deal with importation via shipping.

p.s. the post does have me thinking about that $40 for shipping, though. That sure sounds cheap.

My business does a lot of shipping through Fedex, and we have a very good negotiated account that gives us very good discounts off of the normal shipping costs. I forget what the normal price via FedexGround was, but I would imagine $60+ a case.

I never said I wouldn't be subject to duty. But Duty on wine is very inexpensive even if I had to pay it, but in my experience, more often than not CBP does not make you pay duty, but YMMV, especially as a non-american. My intention is to bring it back, and once we get off the ship, between the port and the airport go to the fedex office and ship it back, that way yoiu don't have to deal with importation via shipping.

My business does a lot of shipping through Fedex, and we have a very good negotiated account that gives us very good discounts off of the normal shipping costs. I forget what the normal price via FedexGround was, but I would imagine $60+ a case.

So as a US citizen ( take the company out of it for now) allowed to ship a case of wine to your house if you simply pay the duty? From reading the customs cards on the airplane, as a Canadian citizen there are cash amounts of goods in total and money, alcohol and tobacco also have a upper $ amount as to how much you can bring or ship in to the country. I have heard lots of stories growing up near a boarder town of creative ways people brought things in to the country but I am talking here about following the letter of the law. What do you mean when you said that you will "ship it back"? This is beginning to sound more complicated than it started out being. If you take a suitcase off of the ship at your non-disembarkation port (to put the wine in to ship) its most likely also going to be questioned. Thanks for this very interesting discussion.:)

Edited by Karysa

We stay on St. Maarten for a couple of weeks in January and generally buy our wine at the Grand Marche at the west end of Phillipsburg. While I've not done extensive/detailed price comparisons, I do not believe there is significant price differential from what we find at home: certainly not enough to warrant the hassle of toting a case to the ship and shipping it home from the port. More importantly, I am inclined to think that the reds (in particular) do not benefit from they way they are shipped/stored to and in St. Maarten- and would not from the travels back home.

Great question karysa.

Customs and Border Protection says that duty will be collected on the entire shipment -- no duty exemption.

How do I import alcohol for my personal use?

Shipping alcoholic beverages by mail is prohibited by U.S. postal laws. The importer must be 21 to bring alcoholic beverages into the United States.

Shipping alcoholic beverages through a courier is permitted, however, duty will be collected on the entire shipment (there is no duty exemption for alcohol not accompanying a traveler), and the courier will probably charge handling and Customs Broker fees that could significantly raise the cost of the shipment.

Please be aware that State ABC laws govern how much alcohol a person may import into their state without a license and those laws are enforced by CBP. You must check with the state ABC board where your shipment will enter the country to determine their limits.

(there's more there)

gary

Hi Gary and thanks for the government info. I would think getting up to 2 cases ( 24 bottles of 750 ml) wine would likely be more than allowed in any state. In Canada the laws are " per person" so that would technically be 48 bottles per couple which seems high and something that might make it worth peoples while and mentioned a little more often on here. Very informative discussion.:)

Sorry just dawned on me. You said that you will take it off of the ship. That means you will buy it and bring it on the ship in a box or suitcase. After the cruise you will then need to go through customs at the port. This IS technically when you are importing into the country is it not??? The reason I say that is because if you drove from your disembarkation port say Florida to New York state you would not have another customs/immigration/border crossing call it what you want to go through. Bottom line here is, when you get off of the ship in the US WITH your wine purchased in St. Maarten aren't you at that point IMPORTING/BRINGING your wine into the US and therefore it would need to be declared?

Sorry just dawned on me. You said that you will take it off of the ship. That means you will buy it and bring it on the ship in a box or suitcase. After the cruise you will then need to go through customs at the port. This IS technically when you are importing into the country is it not??? The reason I say that is because if you drove from your disembarkation port say Florida to New York state you would not have another customs/immigration/border crossing call it what you want to go through. Bottom line here is, when you get off of the ship in the US WITH your wine purchased in St. Maarten aren't you at that point IMPORTING/BRINGING your wine into the US and therefore it would need to be declared?

Yes, I always declare everything. Despite declaring 2+ cases (Between my wife and me) of liquor on a few cruises, CBP does not really care enough for the few dollars of duty they would charge.

I even declare t-shirts etc., everything. I am a Nexus holder, and my Nexus card can be revoked if I don't, so I don't chance it. The few dollars of duty I potentially may have to pay isn't worth it.

I have no clue how it works with Canadians transporting through the US if you have to pay duty, etc. I believe you won't until you get to Canada where I believe I am told they are more strict about such things, but I am not sure.

Yes, I always declare everything. Despite declaring 2+ cases (Between my wife and me) of liquor on a few cruises, CBP does not really care enough for the few dollars of duty they would charge.

I even declare t-shirts etc., everything. I am a Nexus holder, and my Nexus card can be revoked if I don't, so I don't chance it. The few dollars of duty I potentially may have to pay isn't worth it.

I have no clue how it works with Canadians transporting through the US if you have to pay duty, etc. I believe you won't until you get to Canada where I believe I am told they are more strict about such things, but I am not sure.

If you declare it then I don't get why you would bother shipping it. Why wouldn't you just put it on the plane with you? To me it would be a diet to just take a taxi and go straight to the airport, get a luggage cart and just check it in with my other luggage. The way you describe means an extra stop at FED EX and paperwork to fill out and shipping costs. This seems like more hassle and it would not be any cheaper either.

If you declare it then I don't get why you would bother shipping it. Why wouldn't you just put it on the plane with you? To me it would be a diet to just take a taxi and go straight to the airport, get a luggage cart and just check it in with my other luggage. The way you describe means an extra stop at FED EX and paperwork to fill out and shipping costs. This seems like more hassle and it would not be any cheaper either.

Because of weight limitations on luggage. Depending on how much we get we would intersperse it in our luggage. But paying for an extra bag would be more expensive than shipping it. Not to mention I trust Fedex more than I trust the baggage handlers of United Airlines.

Just as it is a good idea to know the prices of specific goods at home so you can compare to see whether you are getting a good deal on a watch or jewelry, for example; you should have a good idea of you local provider's wine prices so you can compare Bordeau domain with Bordeau domain - and not with oranges. I have not found the prices in St. Maarten/Martin to be sufficiently better than those at home to warrant the hassle. And I have found distinct deterioration in drinkability with specific varieties - which I attribute to mishandling in transit or local storage.

Because of weight limitations on luggage. Depending on how much we get we would intersperse it in our luggage. But paying for an extra bag would be more expensive than shipping it. Not to mention I trust Fedex more than I trust the baggage handlers of United Airlines.

I see. Seems like a hassle to me especially since you don't seem to have a specific wine that you know that you love. Thanks a lot for the interesting topic. Nice to read something different around here. :)

Edited by Karysa

Have you ever purchased at the three wine shops that I referenced near the top of this thread?

gary

Yes, as noted in my post #12 (Grand Marche) and also Select in Cole Bay.

As I've commented I have not seen any great price advantage over New York or Connecticut sources, while I have noted condition problems.

Interesting, as Select has such an excellent reputation on the island.

I saw your post re Grand Marche. I was specifically referring to the three 'wine shops' in my post.

Personally, I would not do what bmckim is thinking about doing. At most perhaps a bottle or two if someone on-island highly recommended it, and we have a wine transport box we use headed down that usually just comes back (checked) with two bottles of rum. :)

gary