Just Off Getaway

neptune18

Just off Getaway yesterday. Stayed pre cruise at Hampton Brickell. Had a great cruise, crew is great but ship is definitely noticeably understaffed.

Ate at Cucina, Cagney's, LeBistro, Raw Bar and Tropicana for dinners. Enjoyed all but service in Tropicana was awful, painfully slow.

Saw Burn the Floor (awesome), Legally Blonde (talented cast but really bad show-I had a nice nap though) and both comedians (pretty funny but not great).

As for ports, in St Thomas we did a wave runner tour with 340 Watersports which we loved. In Tortola we took a cat charter to White Bay on Jost Van Dyke and had painkillers at the Soggy Dollar Bar. Best day ever on a cruise. Best beach I've ever been on, can't wait to go back. In Nassau we just ate lunch at the Fish Fry (Twin Brothers) and walked around town.

Any questions ask away.

Just off Getaway yesterday. Stayed pre cruise at Hampton Brickell. Had a great cruise, crew is great but ship is definitely noticeably understaffed.

Ate at Cucina, Cagney's, LeBistro, Raw Bar and Tropicana for dinners. Enjoyed all but service in Tropicana was awful, painfully slow.

Saw Burn the Floor (awesome), Legally Blonde (talented cast but really bad show-I had a nice nap though) and both comedians (pretty funny but not great).

As for ports, in St Thomas we did a wave runner tour with 340 Watersports which we loved. In Tortola we took a cat charter to White Bay on Jost Van Dyke and had painkillers at the Soggy Dollar Bar. Best day ever on a cruise. Best beach I've ever been on, can't wait to go back. In Nassau we just ate lunch at the Fish Fry (Twin Brothers) and walked around town.

Any questions ask away.

Loved your quick review! We are leaving next week and have 340 watersports booked for a 1 and a half hour tour and a catermaran to Jost Van Dyke in Tortola as well.

Couple of questions....

How long was your Waverunner ride? We are wondering if the hour and a half will be too long. Seems like you enjoyed it.

Second question. What company did you use for Jost Van Dyke and did you feel rushed at all with the short time in port.

Thanks in advance! So excited for our first cruise. Any tips or info you can share would help these first timers a lot!

Anet- The wave runner tour was 1.5 hours, same as yours. We rode into the harbor, right up to the ships and even went to where the Oasis was docked. We were so close that a steward cleaning a balcony with a hose tried to squirt us. We also went to the airport and sat at the end of the runway when a big jet was landing just over our heads. It was awesome but the way back was a little rough and we did get "beat up" a little. We were definitely ready to be done.

As for JVD, we used Kuralu. We wouldn't hesitate to use them again, as the sail over and lunch was very nice, but next time I'd look to maximize the time at White Bay and look for the fastest way there. Tortola port time is too short.

Gate- When did you eat? We were there at 7:30 ( at least that's when we started ) and the service was terrible. They put down your plate and run before you can ask for anything else. We thought the food in Tropicana was fine, not better than, but on par with RCCL and the Breakaway.

Anet- The wave runner tour was 1.5 hours, same as yours. We rode into the harbor, right up to the ships and even went to where the Oasis was docked. We were so close that a steward cleaning a balcony with a hose tried to squirt us. We also went to the airport and sat at the end of the runway when a big jet was landing just over our heads. It was awesome but the way back was a little rough and we did get "beat up" a little. We were definitely ready to be done.

As for JVD, we used Kuralu. We wouldn't hesitate to use them again, as the sail over and lunch was very nice, but next time I'd look to maximize the time at White Bay and look for the fastest way there. Tortola port time is too short.

Gate- When did you eat? We were there at 7:30 ( at least that's when we started ) and the service was terrible. They put down your plate and run before you can ask for anything else. We thought the food in Tropicana was fine, not better than, but on par with RCCL and the Breakaway.

We are booked with Kuralu as well. When you say maximize the time at White Bay, would you recommend a different day itinerary on the Kuralu or did you just wished you'd used a faster transportation. Obviously we are booked for the day and looking forward to it, but wondered if there is something we should request from Kuralu to make it more enjoyable and relaxing.

Thanks again for the great info!

I mean getting there earlier. There is nothing you can do on Kuralu to remedy this as he will take you straight to JVD. The sail over and back is nice but next time I would try to find a faster boat that leaves from the port area. It was about a 20-30 minute taxi ride to Soper's Hole where Kuralu is docked. Don't worry, it was our best day of the cruise.

We really want to do the ride over to JVD - my husband's favorite drink is the Painkiller so we have to go to the birthplace right???

My question is: from the boat, how deep of water were you in from the boat to the island. One of our travel partners is not a big water person so I'm wondering if this isn't the excursion for her? If it is waist deep water she will be okay, but deeper than that she may be uncomfortable.

Thanks for your help!!