Denali Wilderness Hike

kkbrig

Has anyone done this excursion from McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge? We are finalizing our plans and this is one of the things we are considering. I tried to do a search, but it pulls up too many other things that include the words McKinley and Wilderness!!

It says there is a 30 minute transfer back and forth, 5 hours of hiking for 5-7 miles, and a picnic provided. Wondering about the fitness level that is really required and if the views are as nice as described.

Thanks!

If you look at the Talkeetna Chamber of Commerce site, there are a few guide services on the business directory.

http://www.talkeetnachamber.org/activities/summer-things

This vendor offers a "denali wilderness hike" and seem to be ship contracted. Their hike description matches yours. Perhaps their web site offers the info you're looking for; otherwise call them about your specific concerns.

http://www.alaskanatureguides.com/

As for the views, they will be dependent on the weather. We went there to flightsee and had crappy weather so the flights were cancelled both days. Low clouds and heavy rain equals no views.

There is a Ranger station in town. Perhaps they have info on local hikes and trails that you can do on your own. Give them a call.

Has anyone done this excursion from McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge? We are finalizing our plans and this is one of the things we are considering. I tried to do a search, but it pulls up too many other things that include the words McKinley and Wilderness!!

It says there is a 30 minute transfer back and forth, 5 hours of hiking for 5-7 miles, and a picnic provided. Wondering about the fitness level that is really required and if the views are as nice as described.

Thanks!

I'll be anxious to hear about this as well as I will be doing this myself on 6/30.

• 1 year later...

We did not end up doing this hike, and at this point I can't tell you why I made that decision! The excursions that we did while at McKinley lodge were the years lake walk, horseback riding, float down river to Talkeetna, small airplane flight to see Denali, and the Byers lake kayak.

Did you end up taking this hike? I want to do it but I'm not sure my husband can and I am looking for some real reviews.

Yes I did and it's a tough hike if you're not used to it. A lot of uphill on uneven trails. Not for the inexperienced hiker.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes I did and it's a tough hike if you're not used to it. A lot of uphill on uneven trails. Not for the inexperienced hiker.

I'd say more of a "not for a first time hiker", but most anyone could do it if you are confident in your fitness level. For active young(ish) people in good health, it would not be an issue. It's not a steep climp, but it does gain a decent chunk of elevation. That's part of the goal, you need to get higher so you can see over the closer mountains of the Alaska Range which are blocking your view of Denali. :D On a clear day you do get some nice view though!

We did this hike in mid-May (2010) when there were still patches of snow on the ground in many places. We booked direct, because Princess wasn't offering this trip early in the season due to snow. It was just my wife and I with a guide (private trip!). Had a great time.

(Full disclosure: we frequently do day hikes on our vacations)

Thank you guys. I am in good shape but my husband has a bad knee, and weight and asthma issues but feels like he can do it. I do not. I will probably do it on my own. We used to hike when he is younger, (he will be 50 when we sail) but it has been a while since he has been on a hike.