AIRFARE - Columbus, Ohio to San Juan,Puerto Rico

Loves_Dogs

I have been pricing airfare from Columbus, Ohio to San Juan Puerto Rico (round trip) leaving CMH 6/17 returning 6/25. It has been hovering between $450 up to $700 and as high as $1200. I was waiting to see it go to $399 before I purchase the tickets. Having never watched airfare from CMH to SJU before, my question is, is $399 a realistic price?

I have been checking for airfare for feb/06 from Cleveland, Pittsburgh, or Akron/Canton Airport. The best prices I have been able to find have been $450. pp. round trip. I have also checked the Jet Blue and Delta Song out of JKF, and with air from our area, the prices are still about $450. pp. I have the Serenade booked from 2/25 to 3/4/06, and aft balcony, and I am having second thoughts with the air so high. If I don't find air any cheaper, we will be cancelling this cruise. We are also booked on the Freedom 9-10-06. There is always deals on air to Florida from our area.

Debbie

Hopefully you won't have to cancel your cruise due to the airfare. I also have an aft balcony booked, but I am on Carnival Destiny (which I see you have already cruised). Have you ever had an aft balcony before? And did you enjoy Destiny? I really like the itinerary so regardless of air, I will probably not cancel. I still have until March, so hopefully it will come down some. I will book if I see $399, what price do you have in mind?

Jeannie

Jeannie:

We just got back on 9-8 from the RC Empress 6 day/5night cruise to Key West and Grand Cayman. This was our 8th cruise. We have not yet had a balcony. We have only had a mix of inside/ov cabins on all our cruises. This allows us to cruise frequently. That is why we will probably cancel the Serenade, and reschedule to an eastern carib. itinery for early spring when we find a deal on airafare, then find an economical cruise. We are fortunate that our schedules are very flexible, and can book some of the better deals. Itinery is not a major concern, other than the eastern for our next cruise.

The Destiny was our first cruise. It will always hold a special place in my heart as our first cruise. The food was very good, the ship was very nice. We chose it for the itinery. We loved Aruba, and can't wait to get back there.

When I booked the Serenade I was hoping to get air for about $750 for 2, but now it seems this is not very realistic. If you find it for $399, I would jump on it.

I have been pricing airfare from Columbus, Ohio to San Juan Puerto Rico (round trip) leaving CMH 6/17 returning 6/25. It has been hovering between $450 up to $700 and as high as $1200. I was waiting to see it go to $399 before I purchase the tickets. Having never watched airfare from CMH to SJU before, my question is, is $399 a realistic price?

If you find something from CMH in the $450.00 range, I would book it immediately. I just did a cargo check (I am in the logistics business-extra cargo can only go on flights which are not full) and for your dates, I find NOTHING from MIA to SJU except first class available. This would indicate that other departure gates, with connecting flights through MIA, FLL, or NYC, are rather full. I have no idea what is going on in Puerto Rico those dates, but obviously, the cheap tickets are gone.

With fuel at an all time high and more airlines in bankruptcy, unless you want to take a chance on a sale fare, I would book anything in the $450.00 price range NOW.

If you find something from CMH in the $450.00 range, I would book it immediately. I just did a cargo check (I am in the logistics business-extra cargo can only go on flights which are not full) and for your dates, I find NOTHING from MIA to SJU except first class available. This would indicate that other departure gates, with connecting flights through MIA, FLL, or NYC, are rather full. I have no idea what is going on in Puerto Rico those dates, but obviously, the cheap tickets are gone.

With fuel at an all time high and more airlines in bankruptcy, unless you want to take a chance on a sale fare, I would book anything in the $450.00 price range NOW.

Wholeheartedly agree - book it NOW if you have it - but I would find it hard to believe you would have $450 out of Columbus (unless it's only Panam and I would not risk purchasing that air) because I don't see anything anywhere near that. Also for the person out of Cleveland, I don't see anything near that either for February. If you've got that price you'd better jump on it now.

We are from Columbus and have flown to San Juan for cruises many times. I would book the $450 flights as I don't think it will get down to $399 anytime soon, especially with fuel prices the way they are. In the grand scheme of things, the $51 price difference isn't worth the stress! Have a great time!

• 2 weeks later...
Jeannie:

We just got back on 9-8 from the RC Empress 6 day/5night cruise to Key West and Grand Cayman. This was our 8th cruise. We have not yet had a balcony. We have only had a mix of inside/ov cabins on all our cruises. This allows us to cruise frequently. That is why we will probably cancel the Serenade, and reschedule to an eastern carib. itinery for early spring when we find a deal on airafare, then find an economical cruise. We are fortunate that our schedules are very flexible, and can book some of the better deals. Itinery is not a major concern, other than the eastern for our next cruise.

The Destiny was our first cruise. It will always hold a special place in my heart as our first cruise. The food was very good, the ship was very nice. We chose it for the itinery. We loved Aruba, and can't wait to get back there.

When I booked the Serenade I was hoping to get air for about $750 for 2, but now it seems this is not very realistic. If you find it for $399, I would jump on it.

Hi Deb,

We're from Akron and are booked on the Serenade on 4/15/06. We flew into San Juan last spring and have been working with our TA investigating airfare for quite some time for this next cruise. I would not get my hopes up over finding anything less than $400 on a weekend. If your schedule allows, you might want to investigate staying over and flying out on a Monday or arriving a few days early.

Based on the current rates we could find for 8 of us, we're probably going with RCI's air program, and taking an air deviation so we can have input into choosing our flights.

Keep your head up and keep trying - yes, the airfare is high into San Juan, but cruising out of San Juan pretty much guarantees warm cruising all the way without having to worry about rough seas heading in and out of Florida.

Last year I was able to save quite a bit of money by flying SWA into Fort Lauderdale and AA out to SJU. I think total ticket price was below 350. Of course the only problem with that right now is the date range for SWA. You could probably wait for a while. Your cruise is a long way off.

By the way OPsoccermom, I am originally from Akron too!

Judy

A big thank you to everyone for your help! Travelocity (lucky for me Snowball was looking out for me and brought this to my attention) had CMH to SJU yesterday for $378 each - after taxes & fees it ended up being $423 total per ticket....and the times were PERFECT so I jumped on it. I don't care if the price goes down between now and June, I am just glad to have that out of the way. Thanks again everyone!

A big thank you to everyone for your help! Travelocity (lucky for me Snowball was looking out for me and brought this to my attention) had CMH to SJU yesterday for $378 each - after taxes & fees it ended up being $423 total per ticket....and the times were PERFECT so I jumped on it. I don't care if the price goes down between now and June, I am just glad to have that out of the way. Thanks again everyone!

What days are you traveling? Same days the ship comes and goes?

I should have added this to my earlier post....

If this is your first San Juan based cruise, please pay attention to the other threads re: the timing of your return flight. San Juan airport is crazy on weekend mornings during the peak season. Give yourself plenty of time to check in and clear the agriculture check.

I should have added this to my earlier post....

If this is your first San Juan based cruise, please pay attention to the other threads re: the timing of your return flight. San Juan airport is crazy on weekend mornings during the peak season. Give yourself plenty of time to check in and clear the agriculture check.

This is my first time in San Juan. My flight home isn't until 3:00 p.m. so hopefully I won't have any problems. Was thinking about booking a tour after the cruise so I won't have to sit around the airport all afternoon (did this after our Valor cruise and had a wonderful time) , but after reading your post maybe I just better get to the airport. Any advice?

Actually, if you do the tour through your cruiseline, you'll be fine. Things die down at the airport in the afternoon, and if you do a cruiseline tour, you'll have your luggage right there with you.

I haven't done a post tour - we're planning to stay overnight and get an early morning flight the next day that leaves before cruise passengers start arriving at the airport. I've heard, though, that the Bacardi factory tour is very enjoyable.

Good luck and happy cruising.

Archived