Memorial Day and Our Post #10,000

We wanted to do something special for our 10,000th Cruise Critic post.

Enjoy today and remember that many don't realize what our "Memorial Day" really means. It's much more than a cook out and a trip to the beach.

This link is the first ship on which I ever sailed. It was a free 21 day cruise, courtesy US Army. Had the lower deck accommodations. Hope all our Cruise Critic friends world wide enjoy the video.

Rick and Deirdra

We wanted to do something special for our 10,000th Cruise Critic post.

Enjoy today and remember that many don't realize what our "Memorial Day" really means. It's much more than a cook out and a trip to the beach.

This link is the first ship on which I ever sailed. It was a free 21 day cruise, courtesy US Army. Had the lower deck accommodations. Hope all our Cruise Critic friends world wide enjoy the video.

Rick and Deirdra

Thanks for the link and reminding us of the reason behind today. Thank you for your service!

Thanks for your post!

A Memorial Day Message from the U.S. Naval Institute

On Memorial Day, the flag is lowered to half mast at 0800, and at noon each saluting ship or station fires a salute of twenty-one minute guns. After the salute or at 1220 if no salute is given, the ensign is raised back to the peak.”

This hallowed naval ceremony, so spare of frills and so deep in honor, is thus described in the Naval Institute Press’s Naval Ceremonies, Customs, and Traditions. The textbook, first published in 1934 with the most recent edition in 2004, is part of course work reading at both the U. S. Naval Academy and NROTC Units across the Nation.

Honoring those who have died in service to the Nation goes back to the creation of Decoration Day in 1868 when the graves of Union and Confederate fallen were strewn with flowers. Late May was chosen for this remembrance with the understanding that it was the time of year when most flowers would be in bloom.

On Memorial Day 2015, we are both informed and inspired by such historical perspective and the guidance for the naval ceremony. We take time to give thanks and reflect on the sacrifice of the Nation’s war dead. Our debt to them is eternal. Their lasting gift to us is an enduring, thriving United States of America.

All of us at the Naval Institute pause in remembrance,

Peter H. Daly VADM USN (Ret.)

Life Member and Member since 1978

[MEMORIAL DAY SHOULD BE EVERYDAY !!!!

I want to thank all the families who loved one sacrifice their lives so I can have mine.

Also thank you to everyone who are serving and served our countries and their families

Edited by rjrice1