Extreme Allergy precautions?

Perez1992

I am highly allergic to lamb and lamb products like wool.

I know on Disney cruise line they would cook my food separately so that any lamb being served would be kept from contaminating my food . I swell up like a balloon and break out in hives I don't carry an epi pen because at home back in Texas we really don't cook lamb.

Have very unusual food allergies and many vegetables will cause migraines.

OK with breakfast and lunch but for dinner will see either headwaiter or social hostess first night and discuss with them and than after that food is made special. However they do make mistakes from time to time.

I would also contact special needs before the cruise.

Best to take a pen with you just in case.

Carrying an epi pen is a must. I can't see your doctor not prescribing one to you if you inform them of your allergy. Someone mentioned speaking with the Special Needs Department and the MDR, I probably would also minimize my visits to the buffet in the event of cross contamination with the serving utensils. You can never be too careful.

I wonder if my doctor would prescribe me one just for the trip .

I'd definitely ask for a prescription for one. They come in a two-pack now. I carry one for stinging insects (bees, wasps, yellow jackets, etc...) and the one the doctor prescribes me specifically says 2-pack on the Rx.

Also remember that an epi pen is just a means to stop the instant symptoms. If you use an epi pen you still need to seek medical help because you may need more care.

Carrying an epi pen is a must. I can't see your doctor not prescribing one to you if you inform them of your allergy. Someone mentioned speaking with the Special Needs Department and the MDR, I probably would also minimize my visits to the buffet in the event of cross contamination with the serving utensils. You can never be too careful.

Serving utensils part can be tough but would imagine they would be cleaned and sanitized regularly.

Thinking best to avoid areas of lido that would serve lamb and stick to say burgers or salads or pizza

I've never had to use mine (thank god) but the starter pack (if that's what your pharmacy gives you) should also come with a practice pen that will show you all the steps on how to use it, just no needle. You inject it into your thigh and don't freak but the needle is thick. Hopefully you'll never have to use it.

Thanks for your help guys it seems every trip I go on I get a reaction and every time it's worse .. Excuse to eat at guys burgers instead of the buffet

Do you carry liquid benadryl with you too? I find that sometimes if I take it fast enough I can control the swelling and hives and not have to resort to the epipen. Liquid benadryl works much faster.

Thanks for your help guys it seems every trip I go on I get a reaction and every time it's worse .. Excuse to eat at guys burgers instead of the buffet

Why wouldn't you take precautions? You state it's wool too:) It's hard to believe you don't have an epi pen. Do you use just benedryl?

I will look into some liquid Benadryl I didn't even know they made that.

I've seen it for adults but I almost always buy the children's version because it's the easiest to find, just adjust the dosage for your age/weight. Ask the doctor if you are unsure.

Are they easy to use? I have never used one

Very easy to use, it can be taught to you in less than 3 mins. I do not think that carnival serves much lamb. I've never seen it on the buffet, it might be in the dining room. I believe there is spot on the carnival site where you manage your cruise to put in food allergies. Plus letting the MDR know the first night.

Are you sure you dont have more allergies than just the two?

I'm going to step out on the limb here and likely get attacked for it. I'm wondering why this poster is taking the allergy subject so lightly:confused::confused: Allergies can be life threatening. How did he know it's lamb and wool related? If I had reactions, I surely would be tested and have some medical guidance.

I'm going to step out on the limb here and likely get attacked for it. I'm wondering why this poster is taking the allergy subject so lightly:confused::confused: Allergies can be life threatening. How did he know it's lamb and wool related? If I had reactions, I surely would be tested and have some medical guidance.

Guessing was tested for it but if this would be me would have gotten to know my DR very wel.