Formal dress and Packing

AlaskaBust

I love to dress up and pack several per cruise. DH wore a suit and tie for his whole working time. He isn't happy but brings it so we look good!! I don't pay attention to others. But rules are rules and should be followed. Don't like it, eat elsewhere.

I've found that the DR Manager is the one who sets the dress code on the ships. On one recent cruise my husband was allowed in the MDR on Formal Night (he hadn't planned to go there, but friends insisted we join them and said many were in only dress shirt and tie) so we went and it was OK.

On another cruise (similar circumstance) he was offered one of the few jackets to put on or not enter. So, different ships, different DR, different rules.

(By the way, he now always includes his blazer or suit...just in case. He used to always have a tux, then rented one on ship, now just a suit...depending on the cruise. We rarely eat in the MDR.)

I always bring at least one gown and DH brings suit, tux and sport coat. Noordam over Christmas was half and half, doing zuiderdam med cruise in July and am bringing tux and gown not just for ship but evening in Monte Carlo! Dress how you want and feel great! And I do see that the "younger crowd" seems to be unable to understand what formal and dressed up is - we are in our 40s and love a little elegance :)

Just got off of the MS Amsterdam today from a 3 day Pacific coast (San Diego to Vancouver)...

On formal night the 3 teenagers wore nice suits, DH wore a suit, and I wore a nice dress.

It was a nice experience to have everyone dressed nicely together. Sadly, we opted not to spend the $40 per sheet on the photos, but they would have been nice.

Everyone in the MDR were dressed nicely, and I cannot recall seeing anyone not wearing the standard minimum.

We were first time cruisers on the Zaandam in Alaska 17-24 May this year. I wore a dark suit and tie ( I don't own a Tux ) on both formal nights. The first was in the MDR the second in Le Cirque. Saw a grand total of 2 or 3 men in tuxes + 1 Japanese man in a formal Kimono, estimated that about 20-30% of the men were in suits and most of the rest were in sports jacket and slacks with tie. Many were in dress slacks and shirt with tie 9 although by no means all had a tie). However, the latter observation was made in parts of the ship other than the restaurants so they may have changed after dining.

On non formal nights I wore a sports jacket with an open necked shirt. My wife felt that we were overdressed compared to most even on the formal night.

I won't attempt to pass comment upon what the ladies wore because as a good married man I do not notice other women.;)