Newbie question; Muster drill

Tina.w12

I'm not opposed to lifeboat drill, and as you say it might save one life. I'm just pointing out why some people, me included, feel it adds nothing to their own safety.

Obviously there comes a point where the lifeboat drill has taught you all it can. Otherwise they'd have it every week, or every day. The only issue is at what point the lifeboat drill loses its usefulness; I think it's at an earlier stage than you. That's all it is.

I can see your point. But I do think that it's useful to have a refresher unless you are lucky to be cruising every couple of months!

My main point, though, is that it's mandatory and I'm a bit of a stickler for following rules and procedures, as I have a very safety focused job myself.

My concern is that in a real emergency I might not want to obey the muster drill instructions anyway :eek: The thought of the ship LISTING and being in the theatre or similar gives me the shivers. I want to be on the OUTSIDE of the ship, not caught like a drowning rat with hundreds of other people. On my original Thomson cruises the muster station was beside your allocated lifeboat, at least you might have a chance of floating away if the ship starts to roll.

My concern is that in a real emergency I might not want to obey the muster drill instructions anyway :eek: The thought of the ship LISTING and being in the theatre or similar gives me the shivers. I want to be on the OUTSIDE of the ship, not caught like a drowning rat with hundreds of other people. On my original Thomson cruises the muster station was beside your allocated lifeboat, at least you might have a chance of floating away if the ship starts to roll.

But than they had proper promenade decks unlike many new ships and could actually muster everyone on them! I must say the best organised, professional and most reassuring of drills I have attended on any ship. I agree dave - I prefer to know exactly where my lifeboat is - and can eyeball it!!!!