Cruising past san juan islands

Shooshoo

We are going on our Alaskan cruise week after next. We are leaving out of Seattle and sailing past the San Juan Islands. I understand that this is a great place to see whales. Thinking about having room service for dinner the first evening when we depart so that I can stay on the balcony and watch for whales. Anyone had a good experience going past the islands in the way of seeing whales?? Love to year about your experience.

Hi there,

We sailed out out of Seattle last year (late June) and sorry to say no whales as we passed the islands. They seem to be most famous for Orcas, with several resident and transient pods - and indeed we stayed for a few days in Anacortes after the cruise where we saw plenty - but only off a whale watching boat that knew where they would be.

If you're keen on looking for whales you'd be better off spending your time at the front or back of the ship so you can watch all round....

By contrast later in the cruise we saw plenty of humpback whales in Alaskan waters - but generally only spouting at a distance - but there were loads of them!

We did take a whale watching trip from Icy SP where we got very close to the humpbacks as they were feeding off Point Adolphus - seems they are pretty much guarenteed.

Have a great time!!

ALDER

Thanks for replying. I had heard that the first couple of weeks in June is the best time to see the whales by San Juan Islands. Just wondered if anyone had actually witnessed this.

There are a few pods of resident orcas that travel in the area between Victoria and the WA coastline, which of course includes the San Juans.

Their activity is closed to tied to salmon runs.

I've take a few orca viewing trips from Anacortes ( about 1 hr north of Seattle). I typically go in late August - mid Sept and have had great success. We normally spot them around the San Juans so your chances are good as anyone. Just make a point of being on the deck and watching for them.

Look at the sightings log ... it will give you an idea of where and how many are being seen .

http://blog.island-adventures.com/

We saw quite a few whales on our cruise. Some were off the starboard side of our ship as we cruised past Western Vancouver Island. Some were in various places along the inside passage (don't remember exactly where). We saw several at the opening of Glacier Bay. We saw several in the bay in Hoonah.

I'm from the Seattle area. As for the San Juans, yes you can see whales there. June through October is the best time. I don't know if you'll see them from your ship. However, this year, some orcas came all the way down into Elliott Bay (the Seattle waterfront area). You have potential (sometimes small, sometimes better) for seeing whales throughout Puget Sound. Look for spouts. Keep your eyes open. You could very well see them.

This web site gives nice whale reports: http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs183/1101447505873/archive/1121192834428.html

Edited by TATraveler

Leaving Seattle you don't get very close to the San Juan Islands, you travel next to Whidbey island then hang a left at port Townsend and head out the Strait of Juan de Fuca. There are whales in the straits (have had them swim right up to the boat while fishing there)