11:10 am flight out of Tampa ~ too early?

momofzeke

We have only 2 choices of flights leaving Tampa. 11:10 am OR 4:00 pm. The Miracle is scheduled to get into port at 8:00 am. I do realize that the 11:10 am flight would be cutting it close, but the 4:00 pm doesn't arrive back in our departure city until 10:00 pm, and then we have a 2 hour drive after that. Our kids have class the next day (first day of college spring term), so I am tempted to try the 11:10 flight.

How difficult is it getting from Tampa pier to airport? Any advice?

It is only a 10 minute ride from the pier to the airport. As long as the ship gets in without any problems, you would be OK. You should plan on doing the self-debarking, carry all your luggage off yourself, so you don't have to go find it. We did this when we cruised on the Sensation May/04, and the ship was in @8:00, however, there was some sort of problem w/immigration. We were to start to get off at 8:30AM, and did not start until 9:30AM. We had rented a car, to drive over to Orlando, to stay w/relatives, so wasn't a problem for us. Usually, you can make a 11:00 flight, "IF" no problems arrise. It is your choice, and I would have alternate plans.

If you should miss the flight at 11:10, you could go standby on the flight at 4:00, if there is room on the flight, as long as these flights are on the same airline. If you would book the 4:00 flight, and get to the airport by the 11:00 flight, if would probably be full by the fly date, and no luck going standby(no extra charge for standby w/the same airline company, but is the luck of having seats available).

I just did a 10:40 flight out of Ft. Lauderdale, but it was a thursday, and our ship was the only ship in port that day. We were at the airport by 8:45AM, but we were fortunate, there were no problems. I did loose sleep over it right after I made the reservations, but didn't let it bother me once we were on the ship.

Have a great cruise!!

If you should miss the flight at 11:10, you could go standby on the flight at 4:00, if there is room on the flight, as long as these flights are on the same airline. If you would book the 4:00 flight, and get to the airport by the 11:00 flight, if would probably be full by the fly date, and no luck going standby(no extra charge for standby w/the same airline company, but is the luck of having seats available).

Have a great cruise!!

This is incorrect. You can standby for earlier flights, but you cannot generally stand by for later flights.

If you miss the 11:00 flight, most airlines will charge a change fee to fly a later flight. And if you do not let the airline know that you willl not make the 11:00 flight prior to the flight leaving and you have non refundable tickets, you have just lost the value of your ticket.

I am going to post this one more time. PLEASE do not book flights prior to noon. Yes, they may be cheaper, more convenient, etc. BUT they could become REALLY expensive in more ways than money if you miss the flight.

Please book the later flights and then try standby if time allows.

I am going to post this one more time. PLEASE do not book flights prior to noon. Yes, they may be cheaper, more convenient, etc. BUT they could become REALLY expensive in more ways than money if you miss the flight.

Please book the later flights and then try standby if time allows.

I know you are right. IF everything goes like clockwork, we could probably make the 11:10 flight, but I think I would be a nervous wreck the whole week, worrying about it. I will play it safe and book the 4 pm flight.

• 3 weeks later...

I may be a worry wart but I always book a flight around 3:00-4:00 PM. I get to the airport, check my luggage in, have a nice meal, relax and get on my non-stop flight back to DC and get home around 8:00 PM. Depends on if you are the "last person on the flight, as long as I get there in time" type or like me, a person who likes to take my time and go at a leisurely pace. I always arrive in the port town the night before the cruise, get a hotel, have a nice meal and a margarita sightsee around the port town, sleep in until about 9:00 AM, get a nice breakfast and arrive at the port around 10:30 AM. I like to be in my cabin with cocktail in hand, drop off my carry-ons and taking a tour of the ship by noon.

Bottom line, you can make the 11:00 AM flight, they make announcements that anybody who has booked a flight before noon may disembark first so check in with the pursers desk when you get settled on board. Like the previous posters here have said though, if anything goes wrong you might be facing scrambling to the airport paying through the nose to change flights or possbly book with another airline. We actually got held up by customs coming back on a Thanksgiving cruise in 2002 and I didn't actually disembark until after 11:00 AM, thank goodness I booked our flight at 2:30 PM.

Good luck and happy cruising to you!

Virgie

You should have no trouble with an 11:00AM flight.

If for any reason you do miss it, then you will be put over on the 4PM flight. You will not be charged a fee.

The only catch is if the 4PM flight is full, then you may have to wait until the next day (or next flight on that airline.

Archived