Whale watching from the ship vs an excursion

Ugaaucruisers

Oh also we did the combination glacier tour and whale watching . we only had one driver and tour guide and bus through the whole thing. That was very convenient and we did not have to go back to the port to go to whale watching. Where we would have just back tracked back to the place where we caught the tour. They took us to Orca enterprises. We booked through princess

We saw them from both but I think that possibly the whale watching was our favorite tour.! I would absolutely take it the tour even though you will probably see them from the ship. They were very far away and it was often hard to tell if they were orca or humpback.

With orcas- they are a LOT smaller than humpbacks (fins, greys etc) Identifying orcas is pretty simple as you have to see the dorsal fins. The more you look the more familiar you become. :)

I'm able to tell marine wildlife by many clues. Speed, shape of blow, surface views. It's very obvious to me, what I'm seeing. So, consider looking at some books, attend ship naturalist presentations and if they're out on deck plant yourself next to them. :) There also can be some very educated travelers you'll see out on deck- to take advantage of their sighting information.

Have to agree with the above posters- definitely worth taking a whale watching cruise!

It is this:

28b4d185159739e9e9b1824a281847d6.jpg

versus this:

583cdc12e41a4bd76acec8300eec4476.jpg

b85a61142bc951a152b584dc198545d7.jpg

My friend and I took the whale watching and Mendenhall Glacier combination tour. Loved it...just wish we had more time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk