Y6C on Noordam-8/15

shelnj18

We are taking this cruise but getting off in Skagway and then going to Whitehorse. Does anyone have any suggestions for tours in Whitehorse? I looked on the HAL website and there doesn't seem to be too much. I thought perhaps others might have some suggestions. Thanks in advance. Shelly

If you are on a HAL cruisetour, there won't be a lot of independent time to worry about. We arrived to Whitehorse approximately 6:30 pm and spent an hour trying to find a restaurant without a 2 hour wait.

We finally settled on a Subway, ate and went back to the hotel to shower and relax. Our traveling companion did walk around some. Then we departed at approximately 7:30 am the next morning.

HAL does throw in a couple of shows (Frantic Follies in Whitehorse and Diamond Tooth Gerties in Dawson City). We didn't book any independent excursions until we reached Denali. There we booked the Husky Homestead Tour, as I follow the Iditarod and wanted to meet Jeff King.

The HAL website only allows you to book excursions you will have time for. If you aren't there long enough, the system won't allow you to book. Have a look at Whitehorse Tourist website, but be mindful of your time there.

http://www.yukoninfo.com/whitehorse-yukon/

The itinerary planned by HAL was sufficient for us. Have a great trip!

Edited by agabbymama

Since HAL has cut back/modified their tours in the Yukon they seem to offer many fewer excursions. In 2007 we did a Schwatka River Cruise through Miles Canyon and a Whitehorse City tour which we enjoyed. It looks like you will end your tour in Whitehorse so you may have extra time at the end for the Miles Canyon excursion even if HAL does not offer it. The Frantic Follies used to be included but now is extra. You can probably sign up for that with HAL.

It seems like we will get to Whitehorse around 1 o'clock. I think we will just do our own thing and then eat dinner and see the follies. We are scheduled for a very early flight the next morning to San Francisco so we won't have any extra time there.Thanks for the advice. I will check the Whitehorse tourist stuff. I would like to do an easy bike tour but not sure Ken is interested in that.