How to get from Salerno to Rome

nguyener

Me and 2 others will be disembarking from our cruise at the Salerno port and I was wondering what the best way to get to Rome from Salerno would be. My options seem to be either renting a car or taking a train. Cost-wise, would a rental car be cheaper than 3 train tickets? It seems more convenient to have a car for our luggage but on the flip side, we'd have to navigate our way to Rome. We would probably have a check-in sized luggage each. I see that Tren Italia has a luggage transport service but am not sure how that works, does anyone know?

Me and 2 others will be disembarking from our cruise at the Salerno port and I was wondering what the best way to get to Rome from Salerno would be. My options seem to be either renting a car or taking a train. Cost-wise, would a rental car be cheaper than 3 train tickets? It seems more convenient to have a car for our luggage but on the flip side, we'd have to navigate our way to Rome. We would probably have a check-in sized luggage each. I see that Tren Italia has a luggage transport service but am not sure how that works, does anyone know?

Train, the fast train (one stop, Naples) takes under 2 hrs cost is €29; the slower train takes 3 hrs. Just drag your luggage on and put it on the luggage rack over the seat.

You'd have to pay me a lot of money to want to drive in either Rome or Naples (which you'll pass through)

Agree with Scott.......take the train. It was quick and simple. If you are staying in Rome and your hotel is not within walking distance of Termini, take a taxi (from the area at the front of station where the legitimate taxis queue).

We booked out train tickets in advance through a travel agency while traveling in Italy but I'm sure you can do it either online or through a TA at home before you go.

Have a great trip.

The drive is easy, if boring. You can't drive into the city center in Rome but that's a pretty limited area and it's easy to find a hotel on the outskirts well outside of the ZTL. When you add up the costs for three people a rental may be a smarter option, economically.