Azura Riviera deck cabins - pros and cons

Ginb56

Hi folks. Just got our balcony cabin allocation through on Azura for R706 aft on Riviera deck. So just wondering if any of you can share your experiences of this vicinity of the ship please, e.g. noise from the nearby lifts/stairs or Verona restaurant up above, ship movement (hubby prone to seasickness, bless) etc - and any plus points too would be fab! We're just happy to be first time cruising and going with the flow on everything. Thanks for any tips!

Thanks Greenbank. We'd seen the map and know the location, which is right by the stairs and lifts aft on Riviera hence the query over any likely noise nearby or from above. All information is handy to share though, so thanks for that re the theatre.

I have cruised on Riviera Deck R743 and should say your cabin looks fine. It is near the Aft Lifts but I think you will not find this a problem. You get a slight overhang on your balcony but this does not "shade it". If I were choosing a Riviera Deck Balcony Cabin the ones to avoid if possible are roughly 300 to 500 as they are a bit near the Lido and pools areas with open decks. Your cabin is well handy for the aft infrastructure, restaurants, terrace pools/bar.

Regards John

• 1 year later...
I have cruised on Riviera Deck R743 and should say your cabin looks fine. It is near the Aft Lifts but I think you will not find this a problem. You get a slight overhang on your balcony but this does not "shade it". If I were choosing a Riviera Deck Balcony Cabin the ones to avoid if possible are roughly 300 to 500 as they are a bit near the Lido and pools areas with open decks. Your cabin is well handy for the aft infrastructure, restaurants, terrace pools/bar.

Regards John

Hi John we are staying in R743 Azura next week for 4 weeks. Ideally I wanted Stern cabins as a friend has 747 but they was only 1 free for 2 of our weeks, we stayed in R626 last year as and love Riviera deck especially being so near our fav Terrace deck bar and pool.

Plus useful for buffet..

But out of interest do you have any pictures of the balcony..my friend had said don't have 745 as it's right in the corner so we went for next one along.

Would so appreciate

Regards

Susan :D

We love the R cabins just back from the rear lifts. So close to the 'secret door' which leads you directly to the Terrence pool and deck and a few steps up to the buffet. Great position for an inside cabin as you have outdoor space so close. We have never experienced noise from above. Check out the deck plans!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi John we are staying in R743 Azura next week for 4 weeks. Ideally I wanted Stern cabins as a friend has 747 but they was only 1 free for 2 of our weeks, we stayed in R626 last year as and love Riviera deck especially being so near our fav Terrace deck bar and pool.

Plus useful for buffet..

But out of interest do you have any pictures of the balcony..my friend had said don't have 745 as it's right in the corner so we went for next one along.

Would so appreciate

Regards

This is a good location as jackieo says there is a "secret door" at the aft end of the corridor. On the terrace bar it looks like it might lead to a crew area and it is slightly round the corner inside so it is underused. R745 is right on the corner but it is an inside cabin, I think you mean R751, the last balcony in the run on the side of the ship. R751 has a bigger balcony than standard on that deck. However the opening which you sit looking at over the rail means that you are looking forward not to the side. It reminds me of a Queen Mary2 sheltered balcony, very big but a bit echoey and not a good vista point. Incidently on Ventura the corresponding cabin has been engineered differently. On Ventura the same Riviera Deck balcony cabins have a 45 degree aspect as they have mitred the square corner off which I think is better. I stayed on the next cabin, equivalent to yours but mine was on Ventura, transatlantic. Early deck plans show this variation recent ones have a standardised plan.

On your friend's aft Balcony another interesting design difference between Azura and Ventura exists, their equivalent cabin on Ventura is a window cabin which I have stayed in. The Azura variation gives just two balconies on the location and looks excellent, Ventura just a pair of window cabins. I have bumped an old thread which shows this in photographs; Ventura LC R746 which I have bumped.

In the aft corner of the ship in this area there is an emergency stairwell. It is crew only access but prior to muster drill it will be opened and manned by stair guards. This give you the chance to use it and see the parts you are not generally allowed to see in the internal white world the crew use.

Regards John

I have now located a picture of R751's balcony arrangement, it has a 45 degree cut off giving you a good angled lookout at the sea from a bigger balcony. So it is like as I witnessed on Ventura and not as per the deck plan diagram.

The view of the balcony is on a Youtube video search for "Azura Cabin R723 Tour" the cabin review video is obviously about a different cabin but the photographer goes out on their balcony and pans round such that at 2.23, if you pause at that precise moment, you can see in the distance the way that balcony sticks out further and its front is at 45 degrees. I would book R751 if it were me.

This is the link, but I am not sure if it works:

Regards John

• 1 year later...

Hi can you tell me how i locate the secret door - i have 2 inside cabins booked on riviera deck and plan using the terrace pool as my balcony 🙂

Our rooms are at the end by the pool - can i not walk straight out?

Also i know this is an adults only pool - assume my 2 x 17 year olds can use it? understand my 10 year old won't but can she sit in the area?

thanks

3 hours ago, waughy said:

Hi can you tell me how i locate the secret door - i have 2 inside cabins booked on riviera deck and plan using the terrace pool as my balcony 🙂

Our rooms are at the end by the pool - can i not walk straight out?

Also i know this is an adults only pool - assume my 2 x 17 year olds can use it? understand my 10 year old won't but can she sit in the area?

thanks

Hi Waughy

Jackieo referred to the door as a "secret door" as it is not actually secret, simply few people know it is there.  If you walk along the corridor towards aft on Riviera Deck when you get to the end there it is.  A door with a window in it leading to a set of steps straight out and up to the Terrace Pool area.  If you were a general passenger, outside in the Terrace Pool area all you see is an inconspicuous white door,  down a small flight of stairs and a bit round a corner. I think this design is so that outsiders do not access the Riviera corridor en masse.   It is not obvious why people on the terrace might want to go that way.  The bars restaurants etc. are upwards and in the other direction!

Age restrictions to pools in general areas of the ship, i.e. not the sanctuary adult area etc., relate to actually going into the water. There are small print signs advising all rules including age.  If you look within the age range you should be all right but obviously comply with the diving, jumping in etc. rules!  The terrace pool is surrounded by wooden steps people sit on who do not mind being splashed too much.  Other sitting areas are available in a tiered arrangement also with proper seats tables bar stools and a bar.  You can sit in any of these areas as well and still see the pool.

I have found in the past with my daughter, who is now sixteen, that when she was ten she liked to frequent the children's club (The Reef) a fair bit. The "Scubas" 9 - 12 section, Deck 16 port side Aft is close by.  I used to look in after half hour to an hour to see if she wanted to leave.  Most often she wanted to stay signed in but this type of option is an idea if you are based around the terrace.  I am thinking two swimming and one not allowed in the pool might be contentious.  If they all need to swim then the main pool on Lido Deck 15 is the place.  It's near the Pizzas and Hamburger Grill.  To get there you can walk through the Buffet but not in swimwear.  So the alternative is walking forward on the open Deck 16 and down the stairs when you get to the central pools area.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

thank you John. Sure we will not see much of the little one so hopefully no arguments - to be fair we will probably use the terrace more for sitting having an evening drink as the 3 will want to play together in the pool.

On 2/24/2017 at 11:47 PM, Lukaswithak said:

Plus useful for buffet..

Would so appreciate

Regards

Hi Lukaswithak,

I know its 2 years ago but I was wondering if your friend liked cabin R747 as we have booked it next new year.

Thanks in advance.

Rick.

In the technical sense R751 and R752 on Azura are the same locations as R746 and R747 on Emerald Princess.  Good photos on this site under Princess section on a thread called "R747 Emerald Princess" all these cabins are SIDE cabins and exactly the last in row in each case.

R747 on Azura is on the actual Aft.  In my opinion going to be an excellent spot.

Regards John

5 hours ago, rickpo said:

Hi Lukaswithak,

I know its 2 years ago but I was wondering if your friend liked cabin R747 as we have booked it next new year.

Thanks in advance.

Rick.

Our friends adore R747 and will always aim to book it

we tried as I’ve said but could not get it, but we were 2 cabins away in R743 still

loved it although it has a overhang but that suits my husband better 

we live as near Terrace Bar and pool and buffet 

Edited by Lukaswithak