Booking a cruise, where to start

Happy@home

We have been on several cruises, all work rewards so we didn't have to do a thing, just show up. Now we are hoping to take our family on one either February or March 2016. My husband liked NCL Getaway more than RCCL or HAL so that is what we are hoping for. Preferably the Carribean. Our kids will be 17 and 3 are over 21 plus one dil also over 21. They will be busy with ships activities and are all fine with inside cabins since they will just be there to shower and sleep. DH and I will want a cabin with a balcony because we enjoy the solitude and my health prevents me from doing as many ship activities anyway.

So, where do we start? How do I find the best deal, this is on us and I would prefer to spend less on the kids cabins so we can treat them to activities and excursions. I have no idea who to contact, NCL or a travel agent? Who will be most helpful in getting us the best prices?

We want to get the married couple their own cabin, will three young adult females fit in an inside cabin? They are not picky as long as they have a spot to sleep. Is it cheaper to get a suite?

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you

As to a suite - keep in mind that ONLY those that are staying in the suite can partake of suite perks. You are not going to get all those folks in a suite.

As to the main question you are asking - where to get the best deal.

TA and NCL price are often the same. Sometimes a TA may toss a perk or OBC your way. Sometimes not. If you use a TA, then NCL will not talk with you. Everything goes through the TA.

Start checking prices online yourself. You will see weeks where the prices are lower than others.

We have been on several cruises, all work rewards so we didn't have to do a thing, just show up. Now we are hoping to take our family on one either February or March 2016. My husband liked NCL Getaway more than RCCL or HAL so that is what we are hoping for. Preferably the Carribean. Our kids will be 17 and 3 are over 21 plus one dil also over 21. They will be busy with ships activities and are all fine with inside cabins since they will just be there to shower and sleep. DH and I will want a cabin with a balcony because we enjoy the solitude and my health prevents me from doing as many ship activities anyway.

So, where do we start? How do I find the best deal, this is on us and I would prefer to spend less on the kids cabins so we can treat them to activities and excursions. I have no idea who to contact, NCL or a travel agent? Who will be most helpful in getting us the best prices?

We want to get the married couple their own cabin, will three young adult females fit in an inside cabin? They are not picky as long as they have a spot to sleep. Is it cheaper to get a suite?

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you

Just go on the NCL web site. Look at the ship, dates, and type cabins you want. Write it down. Call (or email) a TA. Tell them this is what you want to book. Ask the TA how much OBC they can give you if they book for you. If they say they will give OBC, and verify they have no additional fees such as cancellation fees, tell them to book for you. Then.....as the time passes moving towards towards final payment time, continue to take a look at the NCL cruise listing that you selected from. If the price drops any, call your TA and tell them to call NCL for the lower price. If the price more likely goes up, just sit back and smile. After final payment, regardless of any price changes, NCL has no obligation to adjust yours again. That's the way I do it. My TA loves me because she doesn't have to do much of anything for me since I do all of my own selections.

As to a suite - keep in mind that ONLY those that are staying in the suite can partake of suite perks. You are not going to get all those folks in a suite.

Just wanted to mention that the Jewel class ships plus Pride of America do actually have 3-bedroom suites, that sleeps up to 8 persons. But the price for that kind of suite is very steep, so I don't think OP will see that as an option anyway. Just letting you know that it is possible to get all 7 of them in to one suite.... :p

Edited by TrumpyNor

Thanks for the tips. I didn't think a suite would work for all of us, thanks for confirming that, I considered it for the girls to give them more space but it isn't necessary to have the perks, they won't be in the cabin much anyway. We brought the dailies from our trip and they found so much they will want to do in addition to the pool and waterslides and shows.

How do I find a good TA? Do I look for someone local to us or do I look for one near the port we will sail out of? We have never used one.

Just wanted to mention that the Jewel class ships plus Pride of America do actually have 3-bedroom suites, that sleeps up to 8 persons. But the price for that kind of suite is very steep, so I don't think OP will see that as an option anyway. Just letting you know that it is possible to get all 7 of them in to one suite.... :p

Ouch! You are right, suites are not an option. Someone told me it was a better deal but certainly not for us. My daughters will put up with smaller quarters in order to swim with dolphins instead.

I'd book the kids in an interior across the hall. Check NCL.com for prices, and call a personal cruise consultant. I like dealing directly with the cruise line, giving me more control. Get the name of your PCC....I have a great one and have used him for my past give cruises....and gotten upgrades on all!