Restaurant recommendations in the Garden District

ranchette

Can anyone recommend good restaurants in the garden district?

It depends on what you're wanting.

Do you want fancy?

Do you want casual?

Do you want a more classic New Orleans-neighborhood feel?

What do you want to eat?

How much do you want to spend?

How dressed up to you want to be?

How long do you want to take?

And how far are you willing to travel -- do you have a car, or are you relying on public transport/taxis?

It depends on what you're wanting.

Do you want fancy?

Do you want casual?

Do you want a more classic New Orleans-neighborhood feel?

What do you want to eat?

How much do you want to spend?

How dressed up to you want to be?

How long do you want to take?

And how far are you willing to travel -- do you have a car, or are you relying on public transport/taxis?

We will not have a car.We like seafood or italian. Do not want to dress up and prefer casual.

Traditional italian is hard to find in New Orleans, you're more likely to find Creole Italian, which is a fusion cuisine from before that was even a term.

And I'm pushing the definition of Garden District a bit, but these are my suggestions:

Joey K's on Magazine Street (neighborhood feel, good seafood)

Zea on St. Charles Avenue (classic New Orleans dishes, with a modern twist -- get the roast corn grits, just trust me)

Pascal's Manale on Napoleon Avenue (classic New Orleans, mainly seafood and Creole Italian, a bit fancier)

You may have to get a taxi for these. Zea is on the St. Charles Avenue Streetcar Line.

If you're there in the summer, I highly recommend ice cream from The Creole Creamery on Prytania as an after-dinner treat (on in place of dinner).

Edited by ellieanne

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Don't miss Emeril's they have a very reasonable lunch, and it was delicious!!,,,

It is very good, but not it's in the Garden District. Emeril's is in the Warehouse District. Emeril's Delmonico is in the Garden District, but a bit fancier than the original poster was looking for.

• 1 month later...

I can't say that Vincent's is in the garden district as I don't know one area from another. We sailed on Dream a couple of weeks ago and my family basically doesn't eat seafood, but they love Italian food. The restaurant is on St Charles, but it's in the 8900 block, so we needed a taxi ride from the French Quarter area where we were staying.

The food is soooooooo good. My family thought it was the best Italian food they've ever had. Two of us had veal parm and it was so tender, only a fork was needed to cut it. My daughter-in-law had the chicken parm and loved it too. My granddaughter had soup and some pasta dish. She is only 10 years old and loves soups, but this one was a bit too spicy for her. When we were nearly done with dinner, our waiter called a cab for us.

We also wanted to try some fried chicken and I had read some reviews of the chicken in NOLA, so we were going to go to Willie Mae's uptown location. The cab driver and I were talking and he didn't appear to think it was that great up there. I told him I read about a contest for fried chicken last year and he said Neow's (sp) had the best, so after a couple of minutes of heading to Willie Mae's, we changed directions and went to Neow's.

It was on Monday, which in NOLA is red beans and rice day, so we had friend chicken with red beans and rice as well as the best cornbread. The cab driver told us if we didn't like the food, he'd give us a free ride back to our hotel. Well, we ended up paying for the ride back as the food was really good. It was the best fried chicken ever.

If I get back to NOLA and have the opportunity to go to these restaurants again, I will jump on it.

Edited by katiel53

I can't say that Vincent's is in the garden district as I don't know one area from another. We sailed on Dream a couple of weeks ago and my family basically doesn't eat seafood, but they love Italian food. The restaurant is on St Charles, but it's in the 8900 block, so we needed a taxi ride from the French Quarter area where we were staying.

The food is soooooooo good. My family thought it was the best Italian food they've ever had. Two of us had veal parm and it was so tender, only a fork was needed to cut it. My daughter-in-law had the chicken parm and loved it too. My granddaughter had soup and some pasta dish. She is only 10 years old and loves soups, but this one was a bit too spicy for her. When we were nearly done with dinner, our waiter called a cab for us.

We also wanted to try some fried chicken and I had read some reviews of the chicken in NOLA, so we were going to go to Willie Mae's uptown location. The cab driver and I were talking and he didn't appear to think it was that great up there. I told him I read about a contest for fried chicken last year and he said Neow's (sp) had the best, so after a couple of minutes of heading to Willie Mae's, we changed directions and went to Neow's.

It was on Monday, which in NOLA is red beans and rice day, so we had friend chicken with red beans and rice as well as the best cornbread. The cab driver told us if we didn't like the food, he'd give us a free ride back to our hotel. Well, we ended up paying for the ride back as the food was really good. It was the best fried chicken ever.

If I get back to NOLA and have the opportunity to go to these restaurants again, I will jump on it.

Did you need reservations for Vincents?

Did you need reservations for Vincents?

Yes, reservations are necessary on weekends at least. I was surprised how busy it was for a Sunday night. I did the reservations online. If you go to their website, there is a place to make reservations and a confirmation is sent to you.

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Yes, reservations are necessary on weekends at least. I was surprised how busy it was for a Sunday night. I did the reservations online. If you go to their website, there is a place to make reservations and a confirmation is sent to you.

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Thanks for the info I just made a reservation for a Saturday night.

I'm so happy you had a great dinner at Vincent's. I haven't been there in a while, but it never disappointed my family.