Yet another question on tipping. Tipping with small children.

Lampwick

We have many cruises with Princess and have never quetioned the automatic tipping policy. However, we will be taking 2 cruises in the next 12 months and wanted to get opinions on the tipping policy with small children. We have a 4 yr. old daughter and a new born son (He'll be 6 months old when we sail). Should they both have the full amount of the automatic tip added to the bill? I realize our 4 yr. old is going to use some services, but the new born isn't even going to eat!

As we have always valued the opinions on this board, I thought I would throw this topic out there.

We are leaning towards tipping as follows:

My Wife and Myself - 100% of the recommended tip.

My Daughter (4 yrs old) - 50% of the recommended tip.

My son (6 months old) - No tip.

Bear in mind, we have always paid 100% of the recommended tip on past cruises with our daughter. And we have always given (and will continue to give) our cabin steward a $20 tip at the beginning of the cruise, just to let him know we appreciate his efforts.

We have always tipped the full amount for our kids, even when they were small (actually one still is small - we're taking our 13mo on the Diamond next week!). Kids tend to make messes, both in the stateroom and around the table in the dining room. The room steward still has to make up a child's bed every morning and night, as well as a crib (if you are using one for the baby). There will be lots of extra garbage with diapers to dispose of as well, and just as many towels to replace as with adults. Kids also use ice, and glasses which need to be maintained.

In the dining room, besides the mess of a 4yo, which is present even for the most tidy children...the waiters do tend to cater to kids, getting special requests with a smile. I'm guessing that even your 6 mo, who may not be eating at that time, will get some extra attention. When we traveled with our second daughter as an infant, the waiters brought all sorts of things out to keep her happy, from spoons to playing cards and napkin animals. To us, when the staff "goes the extra mile" to wait on our kids, they deserve at least the full tip amount.

Thankyou Lampwick for bringing up this question again. I am in agreement with you on the tipping. I plan on tipping the full amount for myself and husband (on the auto tip) then turning off the auto tip for my two small children (3 and 1) and waiting until the trip to determine what tip is necessary depending on how much service the children receive.

We traveled on NCL with our son when he was less than two and they don't auto tip for children under two.

Can't wait to cruise again.... icon_cool.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;9;25;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

9/25/04 Caribbean Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;12;5;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

12/5/04 Radiance of the Seas

Costa Allegra 94, Costa Victoria 96, Horizon 99, Splendor of the Seas 99, Norweigan Star 02

Although I never had my children on a cruise, we moving several and used hotels. Yes tip, but like one of the posters above Iwould wait till theend of the cruise to see how much. Sometimes my children were good and did not leave much mess, other times I was upset over the mess. Tip by what you feel, also don't forget diapers stink.

Hopfully a Hawiian Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2006;12;5;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Until we sail away on the ocean blue

Navigator of the Seas Western Crib 08/03

Dawn Princess - Eastern Carb

Dawn Princess Panamal Canal

Lampwick,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Bear in mind, we have always paid 100% of the recommended tip on past cruises with our daughter. And we have always given (and will continue to give) our cabin steward a $20 tip at the beginning of the cruise, just to let him know we appreciate his efforts. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it's the beginning of the cruise what efforts did the cabin steward/stewardess put forth for you to appreciate.

Or do you mean you are giving them $20 in advance for their expected efforts? Like dangling a carrot on a stick or more to the point bribing them.

While I have read that a small percentage of cruisers do this, personally I don't agree and feel you usually get good service no matter what.

Bill

1a.jpg

Caribbean Princess Eastern Caribbean cruise page

Having sailed with my daughter who was 14 months on her first cruise and 26 months on her second and will be 38 months on her third cruise - I tipped the full recommended amount for my daughter. We even gave a little extra cash to each at the end of the cruise.

The steward works hard - cleaning up diapers is not fun (bring deodorant sacks) - there will be more clutter too, with a little one. I've found the crew to go out of their way for my daughter - last year on the Grand when the waiter found out my daughter loves strawberries - she had extras every night with dinner.

Further, your child is a passenger - no matter what the age (6 months or 3 years) - that berth could have been sold to an adult who would tip the full amount. It doesn't seem fair to the staff person if he or she's not tipped because of age, when, in case of steward, the steward still has to make up the bed, etc. IMHO.

Monarch 11/97

Elation 8/98

Mercury 8/00

Maasdam 7/02

Grand Princess 7/03

Island Princess 7/04

Princess added the full tip amount for our 3 year old and I didn't think to question it. Our room steward was great - when he found that she still naps most days, he had her sofa bed all made up for her in the afternoons and arranged her stuffed animals just right. Our daughter loved him, when she saw the chocolates on the pillow, she'd say "Look what Carlo left for me!" And at dinner they were great about her special requests like just an avocado with no seafood salad in it or whatever.

Although I do agree with you in a way about the 6 month old at dinner - it seems a bit excessive to tip the full amount since he wouldn't even be eating.

Michelle

I'll add my 2 cents...

I think perhaps you should shut off the "auto tip" feature for your children - then add in what you feel is most appropriate at the end of the trip. It can certainly be said that not all room stewards and waiters will go the extra mile for children. Good luck with handling this - I'm sure you will tip according to the service you and your family receives.

Sapphire Princess 6/20/04 (honeymoon)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimbug:

I'll add my 2 cents...

I think perhaps you should shut off the "auto tip" feature for your children - then add in what you feel is most appropriate at the end of the trip. It can certainly be said that not all room stewards and waiters will go the extra mile for children. Good luck with handling this - I'm sure you will tip according to the service you and your family receives.

Sapphire Princess 6/20/04 (honeymoon)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My two cents: I think having to handle diapers would easily cover "going the extra mile" and as some of the posters pointed out, children tend to make extra messes for the staff to clean. I can understand why a parent might not pay a waiter for an infant that doesn't eat, but small children do eat and many also "lose" food all around tables.

I don't understand the logic behind "my kid is half the size so they should only pay half". If I were short could I be expected to tip, like 75%? I'm not trying to be nasty. I just don't get it.

10/04 - Caribbean Princess

1/03 - Carnival Victory

6/89 - Chandris SS Britanis

I would leave auto tipping on for all four of you. After all, you are paying the full amount price for the 3rd and 4th passenger (no discount on them being children).

I have seen staff clean up after children and it is doesn't look easy. Add diapers to the equation. Plus, I have seen staff go out of their way to make the children feel comfortable, accomodate them in the dining room, etc. . .

I also don't understand the concept of pre-tipping (I always receive great service and have never done this), let alone pre-tipping and then not tipping them fully at the end of the week.

Tipping is part of cruising. If one doesn't feel they should tip the full amount, they should choose another type of vacation.

Everyone brings up good points. There are many sides to this issue. We appear split on the issue at this point. 50% feel adjustments shoud be made, and 50% feel we should follow the guidlines of the broucher.

Tipping is not and should not be mandatory - reguardless of the amount. If it is mandatory, then it should just be part of the cruise price and be done with it.

For every point on this issue, there is a counter point. Yes, diapers are nasty. We try to keep them as neat as possible when placing them in the trash can - I imagine most parents do. Most of the time we bag them before placing in the trash - After all, we don't want the odar of a soild diaper in the room! It's possible that trash can is going to be emptied just as often and with just as much effort as a room with just one adult in it. Some adults are just as messy as kids! I'm in the janitorial business, trust me. The time spent cleaning our room is going to take just as long as the average room.

All that said - WE LOVE THE PRINCESS CREW! We feel all the Princess staff deserve fair compansation for their efforts. They are a great group of people.

We cruised with a 5 month old and a two year old. We tipped full amount for two year old ( he was messy in dining room and cabin) and we tipped nothing for the baby. The baby was breast fed, did not sit in a high chair or eat food, and slept in bed with us.We have no guilt about this and it is not as if the cruise line could have sold our 3or 4th berth to anyone else now could have they.( I mean we already paid for the cabin for us two)

Some people tip tip tip, that's very nice of them I suppose, but just so you know it is a predominatley American custom and many other countries do not tip the way you do.

We always tip, but I hardly think that it is nessecary to tip someone because they " gave the baby a spoon" or "were nice to them" my goodness don't you people think that being nice to someone is something you just do to be a decent human being. I 've heard posters say they tipped the maitr'd for " coming by the table and chatting". Sorry I don't pay people to be nice to me. I am nice to them, and I tip for services rendered. Simple concept.

I would tip for all 4 people.

Tipping on ships is different then tipping elsewhere. These individuals do not receive a normal salary (at most they receive $50 a month). I agree with the poster who said if you are going to cruise, you should tip. And unless they provide poor service, you should tip the full amount. They are going to provide service and should be compensated for it.

Are the children going to need towels, is there going to be garbage for the food the infant eats, there will be diapers that need to be disposed of, will there be a high chair in the dining room for the infant, etc. . . The people on the ship will be providing service for both children.

I maintain that there is not always a high chair for an infant( one under six months doesn't even sit up) They do not eat food, they do not dirty dishes, they do not even sleep in cribs sometimes. So, I stand by the don't tip for a very young infant.

A one year old is different.

Archived