Mediterranean cruise

I really want to cruise the Mediterranean, but have trouble walking because because of bad knees. Can't walk very far.

Is there anyway I can still do the Mediterranean and still see the sites?

Everything I read says theses cruises are port intensive and require a lot of walking.

Would appreciate some suggestions as to how I could cruise the Mediterranean and still see the historical sites.

Help please. Thank you

"Port intensive" =/= requires lots of walking.

There are plenty of bus tours at med ports, or alternatively you can stay on the ship or just leave it briefly :)

HTH :)

I really want to cruise the Mediterranean, but have trouble walking because because of bad knees. Can't walk very far.

Is there anyway I can still do the Mediterranean and still see the sites?

Everything I read says theses cruises are port intensive and require a lot of walking.

Would appreciate some suggestions as to how I could cruise the Mediterranean and still see the historical sites.

Help please. Thank you

I use a hurri-cane. It folds & I put in my carryon.

I have a slight disability which makes it difficult for me to walk a lot (usually need to take breaks), and railings are needed with stairs.

We have done a few European cruises and land vacations and I have seen and done plenty.

For the cruises, we have started arranging private tours (not associated with the line) for just the two of us. A little more expensive, but you can go at your own pace and choose what you want to see.

We did the Mediterranean and two in our group had mobility issue. They would just go as far as they could and then sit down and wait until the rest of the group caught back up with them.

It was hard on them and one of them had to skip a whole port as her legs were just too swollen to continue.

There are not a lot of handicap access in the archaeological sites so a lot of walking and stairs are required but if you pace yourself, like our guys did, you should be fine.

Hi

I have mobility problems and have done 3 med cruises (another coming up in July) and 1 Baltic cruise, I take a small mobility scooter with me as I can not walk far at all. If you do not own one I would think about renting one, but would advise a bit of practice in using one before you travel. I have managed very well every where I have been, the key is to do lots of research before you travel. I found most Spanish ports very easy to get around. If you let me know which ports you will be visiting I may be able to give you some tips.

I have recent mobility issues & often use a scooter when I leave the house so I get what you're on about. As for the Med I would try & pick a cruise on any of the lines that is not too Port Intensive & sticks to the more larger common ports, eg, Barcelona & Naples. From these types of ports you can pre-book shore excursions on board & the busses will usually pull up as close to the ship as possible, limiting the amount of walking needed. Once on the bus tour you can decide which stops you want to get off at & for how long depending on how your feeling.

I have recent mobility issues & often use a scooter when I leave the house so I get what you're on about. As for the Med I would try & pick a cruise on any of the lines that is not too Port Intensive & sticks to the more larger common ports, eg, Barcelona & Naples. From these types of ports you can pre-book shore excursions on board & the busses will usually pull up as close to the ship as possible, limiting the amount of walking needed. Once on the bus tour you can decide which stops you want to get off at & for how long depending on how your feeling.

Pisa is flat and is a short tour. An hour is enough time for Pisa I reckon. Rome can be quite walking intensive, although you can get a hop on - hop off bus tour that goes past all the main sights. Pompeii is not for those with walking problems, although there are good trips from Naples to other places. Barcelona is pretty flat and has Hop On - Hop Off. A leisurely couple of hours going along Las Ramblas is always enjoyable. :)

Don't attempt tours like Pompeii. Hard enough to walk under normal circumstances.

In Rome there was a bus tour that was good for people with Mobility issues. Not much walking. Look

At the ship brochures and they will rate tours on walkability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by abridalmaven

Once you have an idea of the ports you will be visiting do a search on goggle and check if they run HOHO buses. The Acropolis is not suitable (but can be seen from the road). Ephesus is also not suitable, lots of shiny stones you need to walk on(my husband slipped and fell). Quite often the ship runs "panoramic" tours which don't involve much walking but you can see the sights from the coach.

Hope you find a suitable cruise.

in addition to private tours, most cruiselines have mobility impaired bus tours that will give you the highlights. The easiest thing is to take a fold up wheelchair, if you have someone with you who can push. In Europe, main train stations and subways do not have elevators, or they are far away, so you will need to rely on taxis, private transport, or tour buses.

Let's take a standard W. Med cruise with Barcelona, Rome, Livorno, S. France, and Naples that we did with my Mom (limited walking). You can go by taxi to many places in Barcelona and use the wheelchair down Las Ramblas. Rome--private taxi tour of major sights, or possibly ships tour with wheelchair or limited mobility tour with no WC. Livorno-limited mobility tour of Pisa, ships tour with WC or private taxi tour with WC or without WC, as a taxi could go right up to the Tower and it s flat and easy to walk around. S. France--private or bus tour to Avignon and/or Aix--both flat and easy to push WC. Naples--ships tour to Sorrento (you have 3 free hours in S-you can walk a bit and sit in a cafe, if you need) or driving tour of Amalfi coast. I agree with others that Pompeii would be difficult. If your shop goes to Palma de Mallaroca (sp?), there is a HO-HO right at the port and it goes to a lovely area by the cathedral--the cathedral is too hard to walk to with lots of steps, but you could get a view from the outside and the surrounding area is very nice with cafes, shops, etc. You can stroll around, sit and soak up the ambiance for a couple of hours, then ride the HO-HO through the rest of town, up the hill and back to the ship. That is a very nice, low key 1/2 day.

So, yes you can do it. A WC would be ideal, but even a few private tours/ships limited mobility tours without a WC would be OK. Elaine

Edited by elaine5